Re: [SoCalFire] LA City: Mandeville Canyon

  • newnethboy
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2011
      There was a small fire along the freeway as well. Ground units attacked it
      before continuing to Mandeville. KCAL copter was showing it.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2011
        LAFD announcement at 1841 says 10+ acres, 20% containment.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2011
          From LAFD, 1706 Tuesday:
          "
          *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Aerial survery of *Mandeville Fire*
          concludes approx 40 acres, 80% contained. Grnd and air crews worked hotspots
          all day . Will maintain watch overnight. No injuries reported. No structures
          threatened. - Matt Spence###
          "

        • Fizzboy7@aol.com

            Mandeville is a done deal at 5 acres..there was no other fire...
            On Sep 5, 2011, at 4:34 PM, newnethboy wrote:

            > New starts along I-405 in Sepulveda Pass (improvement-exposures) and in
            > Mandeville Canyon (much bigger, but no immediate exposures).

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SoCalFire-digest@yahoogroups.com
                SoCalFire-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • newnethboy
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
              From LAFD, 1415 Wed:
              "
              *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Mandeville Fire is 100% contained at 40
              acres. No structures damaged. No injuries reported. LAFD remains on scene of
              this lengthy mop-up ensuring no hotspots. - Erik Scott###
              "
            • Fizzboy7@aol.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                  Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?

                  To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                    Because thats what they do! Making sure every snag, every twig is OUT!

                    To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Right.

                      And first of all, this thing is on a very steep hillside; you could ladder
                      the thing like a roof! It's a shame LAFD can't teach mountain goats to fight
                      fires. :)

                      SoCalFire-Owner@yahoogroups.com

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Donald Timothy Tribble
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                        Lessons learned fro the Oakland Hills Fire in '91. There is also a Red Flag Warning in place from 3PM to 6AM Thursday for LA and surrounding counties.

                        Sent by Tim's BB Bold 9700 via T-Mobile

                        From: Craig Doppmann <cdoppmann13@...>
                        Sender: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:36:56 -0700
                        To: <socalfire@yahoogroups.com>
                        ReplyTo: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                        Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?

                        To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                          Sounds more political to me...I have worked fires along side of LAFD when I was with the Forest Service and they never did much in the way of 100% mop-up, but hey good for them, just seems like an extended length of time for only 40 acres.

                          To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                          From: kd6mdv@...
                          Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:55:59 +0000

                          From: Craig Doppmann <cdoppmann13@...>
                          Sender: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:36:56 -0700
                          To: <socalfire@yahoogroups.com>

                          To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                            Wildland Firefighters are mountain goats lol!

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                              They also have 3 LA County Camp crews with them.

                              To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                              From: kd6mdv@...
                              Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:55:59 +0000

                              From: Craig Doppmann <cdoppmann13@...>
                              Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:36:56 -0700

                              Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?

                              To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                                What you see is what they said. I haven't heard anything about a
                                cause--might be on the news.

                                > In a message dated 9/7/2011 2:20:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                > kef413@... writes:
                                >
                                > From LAFD, 1415 Wed:
                                > "
                                > *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Mandeville Fire is 100% contained at 40
                                > acres. No structures damaged. No injuries reported. LAFD remains on scene
                                > of
                                > this lengthy mop-up ensuring no hotspots. - Erik Scott###
                                > "

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • John Palmer
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                                  A 15 year old kid smoking a cigar behind his house.

                                  What you see is what they said. I haven't heard anything about a
                                  cause--might be on the news.

                                  > In a message dated 9/7/2011 2:20:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  > kef413@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > From LAFD, 1415 Wed:
                                  > "
                                  > *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Mandeville Fire is 100% contained at 40
                                  > acres. No structures damaged. No injuries reported. LAFD remains on scene
                                  > of
                                  > this lengthy mop-up ensuring no hotspots. - Erik Scott###
                                  > "

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • gemcohauler
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 8, 2011
                                    Oh, I don't know, because that area has $1 - $10 million homes for miles in every direction, and their property taxes pay for most of the city?

                                    >>>Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?
                                  • Kim Noyes
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 9, 2011

                                      Smokers Started Mandeville Canyon Fire

                                      The fire burned about 40 acres Monday afternoon

                                      By Jonathan Lloyd
                                      |  Friday, Sep 9, 2011  |  Updated 6:20 AM PDT
                                      Two smokers accidentally started a 40-acre brush fire earlier this week in the Mandeville Canyon area, according to fire officials.

                                      The two men were smoking in the area above Brentwood, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department. The fire was reported at about 4 p.m. Monday in the 3600 block of Mandeville Canyon Road.

                                      The fire was 100-percent contained Wednesday afternoon.

                                      Two firefighters were hospitalized. No structures were damaged.

                                      A stretch of the road was closed during the fire fight.

                                      Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Smokers-Started-Mandeville-Canyon-Fire-LA-Fire-129523368.html?__source=Newsletter-Daily

                                      On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM, <Fizzboy7@...> wrote:

                                      Any mention of a cause?

                                      Jason