Re: [SoCalFire] T-910

  • John Gleichweit PDA
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 5, 2010
      I saw video of 949 dropping over the fires in Israel on FNC this morning.

      John Gleichweit, N6FOG, CA-OES 51-507

      From: Paul Miglin <paul.miglin@...>
      Sender: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 15:17:30 -0800
      To: <SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SoCalFire] T-910

      shows its either headed that way or already there

      http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-headlines/us-supertanker-joins-israel-wildfire-fight

      On 12/5/2010 1:04 PM, David wrote:

      I noticed that T-910 left Victorville this am, headed east. I don't know if is going over to Israel or not.

    • KB6UJW Wayne BARRINGER
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 5, 2010
        The Boeing 747 in Israel is from Evergreen, just approved earlier this
        year for wildland fire drops. T-910 is a DC-10 (different aircraft)
        under contract to CAL FIRE.

        Be safe. Get prepared. Stay ready.

        -- Wb sends.

        ____________________

        Wayne Barringer KB6UJW
        InternetEM: KB6UJW(at)Gmail.com

        Volunteer Communications Network
        Internet: http://www.V-C-N.org
        (714) 994-2065: Voice/Message
        Skype: "V-C-N.org" (w/appointment)

        ###
      • John Palmer
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 5, 2010
          T910 filed a flight plan to Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in northern Mi. That
          seems to be where it's staged during the winter months.

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 6, 2010
            Which makes no sense at all to me. Why would they subject the plane to
            way-below-freezing conditions, not to mention snow, wind, etc., just for
            storage (unless, of course, they keep it in a heated hangar--which raises
            its own questions)?

            > T910 filed a flight plan to Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in northern Mi. That
            > seems to be where it's staged during the winter months.

            Behalf

            SoCalFire-Owner@yahoogroups.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Meadows

              > T910 filed a flight plan to Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in northern Mi. That
              > seems to be where it's staged during the winter months.

            • Jeremy Greene
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 6, 2010
                Are they available for cargo at this point.

                --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:

                > Agreed! Why not keep it in Victorville? Sending it to Mi) for storage makes no sense at all. I'm sure there are a plethora of answers....
                > On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:21 AM, newnethboy wrote:
                >
                > > Which makes no sense at all to me. Why would they subject the plane to
                > > way-below-freezing conditions, not to mention snow, wind, etc., just for
                > > storage (unless, of course, they keep it in a heated hangar--which raises
                > > its own questions)?

              • John Palmer
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 6, 2010

                  Don't know why they do it, but if you put in the tail number on Flight Aware, that's where it is every winter.

                  > T910 filed a flight plan to Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in northern Mi. That
                  > seems to be where it's staged during the winter months.

                • Jeremy Greene
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 6, 2010
                    Every plane has to have a home?

                    --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "John Palmer" <jpalmjr@...> wrote:

                    > Don't know why they do it, but if you put in the tail number on Flight
                    > Aware, that's where it is every winter.

                  • newnethboy
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 6, 2010
                      No argument there, but I don't have a home in MI and I don't want one.
                      Especially a winter home!

                      (And I speak from experience: I grew up in Upstate NY and was a FF there in
                      1978 when Buffalo's streets were too full of snow to get fire engines
                      through, and firefighting was being done with mini-pumpers loaned from all
                      over the NE. One engine was frozen in place during a working fire and when
                      firefighters returned the next day to try to retrieve it, thieves had hacked
                      enough ice away to steal all the brass fittings.

                      Fortunately for me, I was in the Albany area where we only got 91 inches of
                      snow that January [tapered off after that], and while we had cold [like you
                      keep the pump in gear so it won't freeze], we were able to get to calls.)

                      I don't wish those winters on even an aircraft.

                      > Don't know why they do it, but if you put in the tail number on Flight
                      > Aware, that's where it is every winter.

                    • Scott Zane
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010

                        Is it possible that they have a contract with Kalitta Air (the major cargo airline at that airport) to perform major inspections/repairs on it? Kalitta Air is HQ’d there and has a major repair facility there. Evergreen doesn’t even have any locations of their own in the entire state of Michigan, so the practice of sending it there does seem to defy any logical explanation. Even the question of if it gets major inspections/repairs by another airline seems like it would be a conflict of Evergreen’s own interest when they have their own maintenance/repair facilities.

                        > T910 filed a flight plan to Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in northern Mi. That
                        > seems to be where it's staged during the winter months.

                      • newnethboy
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                          Sounds good (except that this is not Evergreen).

                          > Is it possible that they have a contract with Kalitta Air (the major cargo
                          > airline at that airport) to perform major inspections/repairs on it?
                          Kalitta
                          > Air is HQ'd there and has a major repair facility there. Evergreen doesn't
                          > even have any locations of their own in the entire state of Michigan, so
                          the
                          > practice of sending it there does seem to defy any logical explanation.
                          Even
                          > the question of if it gets major inspections/repairs by another airline
                          > seems like it would be a conflict of Evergreen's own interest when they
                          have
                          > their own maintenance/repair facilities.

                        • nkp6869
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                            It certainly doesn't appear that this the first time 910 has been to
                            Wurtsmith for maintenance.

                            http://www.kalittaair.com/MX%20MiniSite/kalitta-contacts-capabilities2.htm

                            HW

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                              It sounds like the plane gets a reduced space rental in Mi because of all the snow or the owner of the plane owns the airport in Mi and saving money on high CA airport fees

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                                It would have to be a LOT lower rental to compensate for the cost of
                                winterizing/de-winterizing, unless it's stored in a heated hangar.
                                Maintenance seems like a much more viable reason, IMO.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                                  Does the website say what the plane is and owner.

                                  --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, newnethboy <kef413@...> wrote:

                                  > It would have to be a LOT lower rental to compensate for the cost of
                                  > winterizing/de-winterizing, unless it's stored in a heated hangar.
                                  > Maintenance seems like a much more viable reason, IMO.

                                • Forrest Jones
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                                    .,
                                    T-910 is owned by 10 Tanker Air Carrier, not Evergreen
                                    http://www.10tanker.com/  Forrest aka trees
                                    It would have to be a LOT lower rental to compensate for the cost of
                                    winterizing/de-winterizing, unless it's stored in a heated hangar.
                                    Maintenance seems like a much more viable reason, IMO.

                                    It sounds like the plane gets a reduced space rental in Mi because of all
                                    the snow or the owner of the plane owns the airport in Mi and saving money
                                    on high CA airport fees

                                    --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "nkp6869" <nkp6869@...> wrote:

                                    > It certainly doesn't appear that this the first time 910 has been to
                                    > Wurtsmith for maintenance.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.kalittaair.com/MX%20MiniSite/kalitta-contacts-capabilities2.htm
                                    >

                                    > HW

                                  • Paul Jackson
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                                      I think this is T-910: a DC-10-30, tail number N17085 owned by 10
                                      TANKER AIR CARRIER LLC, Tulsa, OK
                                      http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=17085

                                      --
                                      Paul Jackson
                                    • bbfires
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                                        T 911 is also a DC-10 based at Victorville, and is also owned by 10 Tanker Air Courier LLC. Evergreen has T 979, a converted 747.

                                        <http://wildfiretoday.com/2010/07/31/747-air-tanker-deployed-in-california/>

                                        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Paul Jackson <pjackson90057@...> wrote:

                                        > I think this is T-910: a DC-10-30, tail number N17085 owned by 10
                                        > TANKER AIR CARRIER LLC, Tulsa, OK
                                        > http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=17085
                                        >

                                        > On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Jeremy Greene
                                        > <computeremail2001@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Does the website say what the plane is and owner.
                                        > >
                                        > --
                                        > Paul Jackson

                                      • John Palmer
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010
                                          You Are correct.

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          On Dec 7, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Paul Jackson <pjackson90057@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I think this is T-910: a DC-10-30, tail number N17085 owned by 10
                                          > TANKER AIR CARRIER LLC, Tulsa, OK
                                          > http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=17085
                                          >

                                          > On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Jeremy Greene
                                          > <computeremail2001@...> wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> Does the website say what the plane is and owner.
                                          >>
                                          > --
                                          > Paul Jackson

                                        • Scott Zane
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 7, 2010

                                            Looks like we have a winner. That is definitely a picture of T-910 inside the Kalitta Air maintenance hangar in that link. Major inspections are required at regular intervals on all FAA-certified aircraft. It is apparent this aircraft’s, inspection intervals are annual and they are scheduled to occur during the winter months. Good catch with the link!