Re: OT: USA USAR teams to Haiti quake?

  • k6cdo
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 13, 2010
      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Firedude <firedude92382@...> wrote (in part):

      > ... the other big joke is that TF-6 is 10 minutes away from March AFB,
      > while it will take TF-2 1-2 hours to get to March to load the planes and go,,
      > oh the politics will always get in the way of common sense and the real
      > mission of saving lives,,,TF-2 should get there in time for the Recovery Mission

      While it may be a big joke to you, this is an _international_ mission - which
      means the teams are working for the US Agency for International Assistance (USAID),
      and not FEMA. The teams have to be previously vetted and have been issued
      special passports. The last I knew, of the eight California Task Forces,
      only CA-TF2 (L.A. County) and CA-TF3 (Menlo Park) are in the USAID pool of
      TFs certified for international duty.
    • Scott Zane
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 20, 2010

        During the week, March is primarily staffed by “dual status” (civilians during the week, Reservists one weekend each month) personnel – myself included. It may well be an AFRC-owned base, but I can assure you that March ARB doesn’t “shut down” after each drill weekend. That’s okay though. Even when I was on active duty, I had no idea that there were actually “full-time Reservists” (not technically accurate, but easiest way to explain to the uninformed) either.

        With an event like this, I’m certain there were plenty of flight crew members and aircraft maintainers who volunteered to contribute – and could have been ready to go in a very short time.