RE: Possible Santa Ana winds later in week

  • Lake Hodges Radio
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
      News items below from San Diego related to this discussion...

      Regards,

      Kurt, N6MD

      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20081005-9999-1m5norain.html
      Excerpt... Even the scattered showers (last) weekend probably will make little difference because the hot, dry weather expected this week will evaporate it quickly. �We expect to have fires in the fall, and we expect them to be wind-driven,� said Pete Scully, a division chief for Cal Fire. �Even if we have four or five normal rainfall years, we're still going to have fire danger in the fall.�

      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20081006-1047-bn06weather.html
      Excerpt... This weekend... a low-pressure system is expected to move in from the north. If the low scoots down over Nevada or Utah, a moderate-to-strong Santa Ana could blow through the county...

      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/jenkins/20081006-9999-1m6jenkins.html
      Excerpt... The practical question you have to ask is this: Where can I buy generators and old-fashioned plug-in phones that don't rely on electricity?

    • Duane
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:

        > Actually in 2005 we had some large fires but nothing of firestorm
        > magnitude .....

        Mike,
        What about the Topanga Fire? While not epic like those in
        1993/1996/2003/2007, it seems to me that 2nd day was firestorm
        conditions...
      • Michael Meadows
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
          I was there, your talking about the fire that started along the 118 freeway in Chatsworth. Yes, that was a large fire but it went out the day it started. It was not pushed by Santa Ana Winds and took out 6 to 8 structures.....I'm talking about the 4 or 5 day wind events that push the (fires) through hundred of thousands of acres...Notice I said Fires.....when we do get a wind event for a number of days, there are usually a dozen large fires going....
          On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Duane wrote:

          --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:

          > Actually in 2005 we had some large fires but nothing of firestorm
          > magnitude .....

          Mike,
          What about the Topanga Fire? While not epic like those in
          1993/1996/2003/2007, it seems to me that 2nd day was firestorm
          conditions...

        • thomas billman
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
            You can get a fire storm anytime you get strong erratic winds . Low Rh's and lots of fuel !!

            > > Actually in 2005 we had some large fires but nothing
            > of firestorm
            > > magnitude .....
            >

            > Mike,
            > What about the Topanga Fire? While not epic like those in
            >
            > 1993/1996/2003/2007, it seems to me that 2nd day was
            > firestorm
            > conditions...
          • Michael Meadows
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
              C'mon Tom, you guys know what I'm talking about...the 3 to 4 day long fires...the Conflagrations that take out hundreds of home and burn on multipul fronts......hell man, a fire going up one canyon can be a firestorm, then it's over.
              On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:21 PM, thomas billman wrote:

              You can get a fire storm anytime you get strong erratic winds . Low Rh's and lots of fuel !!

              > > Actually in 2005 we had some large fires but nothing
              > of firestorm
              > > magnitude .....
              >

              > Mike,
              > What about the Topanga Fire? While not epic like those in
              >
              > 1993/1996/2003/2007, it seems to me that 2nd day was
              > firestorm
              > conditions...

            • thomas billman
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 6, 2008
                Sorry if you took me the wrong way. I know what fire your talking about. I was answering to someone elses email ref to fire storm when they said they they don't think a fire swill storm will happen this yr. I was just replying back what a fire storm was and what causes it!!!

                > C'mon Tom, you guys know what I'm talking
                > about...the 3 to 4 day long
                > fires...the Conflagrations that take out hundreds of home
                > and burn on
                > multipul fronts......hell man, a fire going up one canyon
                > can be a
                > firestorm, then it's over.
                > On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:21 PM, thomas billman wrote:
                >
                > > You can get a fire storm anytime you get strong
                > erratic winds . Low
                > > Rh's and lots of fuel !!

                > > If Police and fire scanners is your hobby then you
                > will like my
                > > group !
                > > scanner.alecwasserman.com/ctscanner.m3u
                > >
                > > --- On Mon, 10/6/08, Duane <SAN037@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > > From: Duane <SAN037@...>
                > > > Subject: [SoCalFire] Re: Possible Santa Ana winds
                > later in week
                > > > To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                > > > Date: Monday, October 6, 2008, 2:15 PM
                > > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meadows

                > nothing
                > > > of firestorm
                > > >

                > > > Mike,
                > > > What about the Topanga Fire? While not epic like
                > those in
                > > >
                > > > 1993/1996/2003/2007, it seems to me that 2nd day
                > was
                > > > firestorm
                > > > conditions...

              • Michael Meadows