RE: [SoCalFire] Big Horn Incident

  • Joann Lavis
    Message 1 of 25 , May 13 7:56 AM
      its a forest fire in la county but close to the san bernardno forest also ,  the fire is in the bear creek canyon where it is being
      sheltered from the wind apprrox 30 acres with wind gusts  earlier to 50 mph, more on this story at \
      www.rimofthworld.net  rim of the world dot net,

      To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
      From: cafirefighter@...
      Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:11:27 +0000
      Subject: [SoCalFire] Big Horn Incident

      LACoFD working an incident called Big Horn. Anyone have info or what type

      With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.
    • Grant Osuna
      Message 2 of 25 , May 13 8:13 AM
        This is the Veg fire in mt baldy, as of 0600  fire was 30 acres, 2 strike teams sent for structure protection all though no immediate threat. It has a 15 - 25 mph wind pushing it sw. it is also very windy in the deserts FYI

        Message 3 of 25 , May 13 10:02 AM
          Per IC - 100 + acres burning actively on the west side. No imediate
          threat to Baldy village. Fixed wing loaded and waiting at WJF but still
          grounded due to turbulence.
        • Michael Meadows
          Message 4 of 25 , May 13 10:35 AM
            WJF??? Is that Fox tanker base?

          • cafirefighter@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 25 , May 13 10:38 AM
              I believe so Mike

              Message 6 of 25 , May 13 10:55 AM
                Yes, William J. Fox field.

                cafirefighter@... wrote:
                > I believe so Mike

              • bbfires
                Message 7 of 25 , May 13 11:09 AM
                  Ch 4 news just showed it and it's not doing much compared to what it
                  was earlier. The copters are loading on San Antonio Dam at the mouth
                  of San Antonio Canyon, San Antonio Heights.

                  Just a few mile from my house. I may go see which copters are there.

                  Much less smoke than earlier (visible from Rancho).

                  --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, John Palmer <jpalmjr@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, William J. Fox field.
                  >
                  > cafirefighter@... wrote:
                  > > I believe so Mike

                • castriketeam
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 16 9:19 AM
                    Does anyone have a report on the Big Horn Incident? Just heard LACoFD
                    dispatch ST 1178G back to the incident.
                  • John Palmer
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 16 9:26 AM
                      60% containment. 410 acres. The web cam has been put back to it's
                      normal position so I can't get a look at it. It wasn't doing anything
                      at all yesterday.

                      http://inciweb.org/incident/1263/

                      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "castriketeam" <cafirefighter@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Does anyone have a report on the Big Horn Incident? Just heard LACoFD
                      > dispatch ST 1178G back to the incident.

                    • Craig Lindstrom
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 16 9:28 AM
                        As of this morning the fire was at 420 acres with 60% containment.
                        Full containment is expected on Sunday.

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 16 9:35 AM
                          I heard some comms on the Command freq this AM, so I suspect that they
                          are merely replacing crews on the fire, even though they are in ST
                          configuration. The fire is doing next to nothing. I suspect a lot of
                          resources will be released shortly, in spite of the weather.

                          Yesterday there were very few copters working the fire. Most were just
                          parked on the dam. I saw one with a Bambi bucket headed up Canyon. I
                          didn't see any of the initial attack copters yesterday.

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 16 9:48 AM
                            BTW, I heard that the 2 LA County Firehawks that were loading out of
                            the quarry the other day because their prop wash was too much of a
                            problem when trying to load on top of the dam.

                            I don't know where they placed the Command repeater(s) on 168.700, but
                            they are very copyable in my area. There's next to no traffic on them
                            this AM.