Re: [SoCalFire] Is This A Fire Visible On Mt. Wilson Cam?

  • Bill Snyder
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2007
      Kim Noyes wrote:

      > Isn't this a fire I see off towards San Gabriel Canyon?
      > http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm#imagetop

      It's the moon.

      You'll never be an astronomer at this rate!

      Happy New Year all!
    • Krissa Klein
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2007
        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Snyder" <sub@...> wrote:

        > It's the moon.
        >
        > You'll never be an astronomer at this rate!
        >
        > Happy New Year all!

        He was asking about the orange glow on the far right side of the image
        (not the moon!)
        Don't you see it?
      • Bill Snyder
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 26, 2007
          > > It's the moon.
          > >
          > > You'll never be an astronomer at this rate!

          Krissa Klein responded:

          > He was asking about the orange glow on the far right side of the image
          > (not the moon!)
          > Don't you see it?

          OK, I've turned in my Trained Observer card.

          It hasn't moved its location, changed size or orientation.

          I'll vote for it being an artifact. But what do I know? Sniff! I'm no
          longer a Trained Observer.

          I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.
          --Douglas Adams
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2007
            Maybe it was just an awesome looking sunset.

          • Kim Noyes
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2007
              Craig,
              Twas off to the East well after dark and columnar and orangish-reddish and at the time had clouds blowing over it driven by North to Northeast winds so it looked for all the world like a Santa Ana Wind-driven fire which thankfully turned out not to be the case.

              Kim

              .

              --
              Check out my online scanner feed at mms://streamwebtown.com/northslocounty