LAFD Greater Alarm Structure Fire Report - 4/30/02 - 14:09 hrs

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      GREATER ALARM STRUCTURE FIRE: Engine 18's 1st-in District

      On Tuesday, April 30, 2002 at 1409 Hours (2:09 PM PDT), seven Companies
      of Los Angeles Firefighters, two LAFD Rescue Ambulances and one Chief
      Officer Command Team under the direction of 15th Battalion Commander
      Thomas Ottman responded to a Greater Alarm Structure Fire at 12000 North
      Balboa Boulevard in the Granada Hills area.

      The first Company to arrive on scene reported a 50' x 50' one-story
      automotive repair facility well involved with fire. According to
      witnesses, a mechanic was working beneath a vehicle on a hydraulic lift
      when a fuel spill occurred. The vapors from the fuel quickly found a
      source of ignition. Though the mechanic ran to obtain a fire
      extinguisher, the flames proved too intense, engulfing the vehicle,
      repair bay and three adjacent automobiles. Firefighters using handlines
      mounted a swift and decisive attack on the flames, confining the fire to
      the structure and three adjacent autos, and extinguishing the flames in
      just 18 minutes. There were no injuries. Fire loss to "60 Minute Tune"
      is estimated at $650,000 ($250,000 structure & $400,000 contents). The
      cause of the blaze is listed as accidental.

      REPORT PREPARED BY: BRIAN HUMPHREY TEL. NO.
      (213) 485-5162 PUBLIC
      SERVICE OFFICER
    • BasicEMT
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2002
        Where do you get these reports from? Please email me back at
        BasicEMT@...

        --- In SoCalFire@y..., "Harry Marnell" <marnells@s...> wrote:
        > GREATER ALARM STRUCTURE FIRE: Engine 18's 1st-in District
        >
        > On Tuesday, April 30, 2002 at 1409 Hours (2:09 PM PDT), seven
        Companies
        > of Los Angeles Firefighters, two LAFD Rescue Ambulances and one
        Chief
        > Officer Command Team under the direction of 15th Battalion Commander
        > Thomas Ottman responded to a Greater Alarm Structure Fire at 12000
        North
        > Balboa Boulevard in the Granada Hills area.
        >
        > The first Company to arrive on scene reported a 50' x 50' one-story
        > automotive repair facility well involved with fire. According to
        > witnesses, a mechanic was working beneath a vehicle on a hydraulic
        lift
        > when a fuel spill occurred. The vapors from the fuel quickly found a
        > source of ignition. Though the mechanic ran to obtain a fire
        > extinguisher, the flames proved too intense, engulfing the vehicle,
        > repair bay and three adjacent automobiles. Firefighters using
        handlines
        > mounted a swift and decisive attack on the flames, confining the
        fire to
        > the structure and three adjacent autos, and extinguishing the flames
        in
        > just 18 minutes. There were no injuries. Fire loss to "60 Minute
        Tune"
        > is estimated at $650,000 ($250,000 structure & $400,000 contents).
        The
        > cause of the blaze is listed as accidental.
        >
        > REPORT PREPARED BY: BRIAN HUMPHREY TEL.
        NO.
        > (213) 485-5162
        PUBLIC