RE: [SoCalFire] Re: Canyon Incident

  • TortoiseAid
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007

      My gawd-these are stunning!

      Please write me off list and tell me-how in the heck do ya get lightning shots like this!!!

      (And I think Fritz is a nut if he doesn’t use one (or all) of these!)

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
        Here's a thought: How about everyone read the rules that were just
        posted to the group!!! This thread is about as off-topic as it gets.
        This isn't Socalweather, socalweatherphotography, socallightning,
        it's socalFIRE. There is a discussion group that is made for O.T.
        discussions, the moderators and other members of the group have
        continually pointed that out, but there are people in the group who
        seem to show blatant disregard for the rules and for the other folks
        in the group who signed up for fire and incident notification and not
        random discussions.
        I've been a member of this group for a long time and I have seen a
        slow degradation of it within the last few years. I've kept quiet,
        but sorting through bunches of OT e-mails is getting old. There's a
        lot of valuable information passed here, but sorting through a bunch
        of junk to get to it almost isn't worth the trouble.
        I'll probably be moderated for this, but I feel that someone has to
        say something.....

        Please send comments, flames, etc off list, thanks.

        Mark

        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "TortoiseAid" <tortoiseaid@...> wrote:

        > My gawd-these are stunning!
        >
        > Please write me off list and tell me-how in the heck do ya get lightning
        > shots like this!!!
        >
        > (And I think Fritz is a nut if he doesn't use one (or all) of these!)

        On Behalf
        > Of Mike Meadows
        > Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 10:43 PM
        > To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [SoCalFire] Re: Canyon Incident
        >

        > This, I think is my best lightning shot...although I do have others that
        > come close. Yucca Valley at 4 in the morning.

      • Scott Mueller
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
          Mark

          I agree with you 100% on that it does get old after a while

          >Here's a thought: How about everyone read the rules that were just
          >posted to the group!!! This thread is about as off-topic as it gets.
          > This isn't Socalweather, socalweatherphotography, socallightning,
          >it's socalFIRE. There is a discussion group that is made for O.T.
          >discussions, the moderators and other members of the group have
          >continually pointed that out, but there are people in the group who
          >seem to show blatant disregard for the rules and for the other folks
          >in the group who signed up for fire and incident notification and not
          >random discussions.
          >I've been a member of this group for a long time and I have seen a
          >slow degradation of it within the last few years. I've kept quiet,
          >but sorting through bunches of OT e-mails is getting old. There's a
          >lot of valuable information passed here, but sorting through a bunch
          >of junk to get to it almost isn't worth the trouble.
          >I'll probably be moderated for this, but I feel that someone has to
          >say something.....
          >
          >Please send comments, flames, etc off list, thanks.
          >
          >Mark
          >

          >--- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "TortoiseAid" <tortoiseaid@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> My gawd-these are stunning!
          >>
          >> Please write me off list and tell me-how in the heck do ya get lightning
          >> shots like this!!!
          >>
          >> (And I think Fritz is a nut if he doesn't use one (or all) of these!)

        • Mike Meadows
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
            You guys are bitching about us talking about the lightning????? The same lightning that has started numerous fires in the past few days???????
                My deepest apoligies to anyone I have offended. It certainly wasn't my intention. Had there been a major fire going on, I certainly wouldn't have shown any of those 3 (three) lightning pictures to the people who enjoyed them.
              Again,  I'm so sorry........Nothing more will be said on this by me.

            On Sep 1, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Scott Mueller wrote:

            Mark

            I agree with you 100% on that it does get old after a while

            >Here's a thought: How about everyone read the rules that were just
            >posted to the group!!! This thread is about as off-topic as it gets.
            > This isn't Socalweather, socalweatherphotography, socallightning,
            >it's socalFIRE. There is a discussion group that is made for O.T.
            >discussions, the moderators and other members of the group have
            >continually pointed that out, but there are people in the group who
            >seem to show blatant disregard for the rules and for the other folks
            >in the group who signed up for fire and incident notification and not
            >random discussions.
            >I've been a member of this group for a long time and I have seen a
            >slow degradation of it within the last few years. I've kept quiet,
            >but sorting through bunches of OT e-mails is getting old. There's a
            >lot of valuable information passed here, but sorting through a bunch
            >of junk to get to it almost isn't worth the trouble.
            >I'll probably be moderated for this, but I feel that someone has to
            >say something.....
            >
            >Please send comments, flames, etc off list, thanks.
            >
            >Mark
            >

            >--- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "TortoiseAid" <tortoiseaid@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> My gawd-these are stunning!
            >>
            >> Please write me off list and tell me-how in the heck do ya get lightning
            >> shots like this!!!
            >>
            >> (And I think Fritz is a nut if he doesn't use one (or all) of these!)

          • John Palmer
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
              I have email from this group go to a separate folder and I don't
              find I have to sort through that many emails. I found the topic very
              relative to this group.
              Pictures were nice to:)

              Mike Meadows wrote:

              > You guys are bitching about us talking about the lightning????? The
              > same lightning that has started numerous fires in the past few
              > days???????
              >
              > My deepest apoligies to anyone I have offended. It certainly
              > wasn't my intention. Had there been a major fire going on, I certainly
              > wouldn't have shown any of those 3 (three) lightning pictures to the
              > people who enjoyed them.
              > Again, I'm so sorry........Nothing more will be said on this by me.
              >
              > On Sep 1, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Scott Mueller wrote:
              >
              >> Mark
              >>
              >> I agree with you 100% on that it does get old after a while
              >>
              >> >Here's a thought: How about everyone read the rules that were just
              >> >posted to the group!!! This thread is about as off-topic as it gets.
              >> > This isn't Socalweather, socalweatherphotography, socallightning,
              >> >it's socalFIRE. There is a discussion group that is made for O.T.
              >> >discussions, the moderators and other members of the group have
              >> >continually pointed that out, but there are people in the group who
              >> >seem to show blatant disregard for the rules and for the other folks
              >> >in the group who signed up for fire and incident notification and not
              >> >random discussions.
              >> >I've been a member of this group for a long time and I have seen a
              >> >slow degradation of it within the last few years. I've kept quiet,
              >> >but sorting through bunches of OT e-mails is getting old. There's a
              >> >lot of valuable information passed here, but sorting through a bunch
              >> >of junk to get to it almost isn't worth the trouble.
              >> >I'll probably be moderated for this, but I feel that someone has to
              >> >say something.....
              >> >
              >> >Please send comments, flames, etc off list, thanks.
              >> >
              >> >Mark
              >> >

              >> >--- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou
              >> <mailto:SoCalFire%40yahoogroups.com>ps.com, "TortoiseAid"

              >> lightning

              >> <mailto:SoCalFire%40yahoogroups.com>ps.com

            • Chester Brown
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007

                When ever you are on a group, this one or any other there will be threads that don’t interest you or me or whoever. The great thing about the internet is the delete key. As for being off topic, I have to disagree. Lightning strikes are a major factor in fires. Since this list is mostly wildfires, weather and fires do go hand in hand. Most of the photos Mike has posted have been fires. I don’t believe a couple photos of lightning strikes are going to hurt anything. Seems most people, myself included enjoyed them.

                Just my opinion

                Chet

                You guys are bitching about us talking about the lightning??? ?? The same lightning that has started numerous fires in the past few days???????

                My deepest apoligies to anyone I have offended. It certainly wasn't my intention. Had there been a major fire going on, I certainly wouldn't have shown any of those 3 (three) lightning pictures to the people who enjoyed them.

                Again, I'm so sorry....... .Nothing more will be said on this by me.

                On Sep 1, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Scott Mueller wrote:

                Mark

                I agree with you 100% on that it does get old after a while

                >Here's a thought: How about everyone read the
                rules that were just
                >posted to the group!!! This thread is about as
                off-topic as it gets.

                > This isn't Socalweather, socalweatherphotogr
                style='font-family:Georgia;font-size:13px'>aphy, socallightning,

                href="mailto:SoCalFire%40yahoogroups.com">SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com]
                >On Behalf
                >> Of Mike Meadows
                >> Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 10:43 PM
                >> To:
                href="mailto:SoCalFire%40yahoogroups.com">SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com
                >> Subject: Re: [SoCalFire] Re: Canyon
                Incident

                >> This, I think is my best lightning
                shot...although I do have others that
                >> come close.
                w:st="on">Yucca Valley at 4 in the morning.

                >> On Aug 31, 2007, at 10:27 PM, Craig

              • Bill Snyder
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                  It's quite easy to see why all the off-topic messages can be so
                  frustrating to so many. Someone will post with at least some
                  relevance to the group subject. That is no problem. Then come the
                  myriad and utterly irrelevant replies...
                  I agree with you 100% on that.
                  Thanks, Mo. That's a HUGE storm cell.
                  Great photo!
                  INCREDIBLE! Came through GREAT!
                  Right on!
                  That's just what I was thinking.
                  You're right!

                  In other words, I feel the broad range of fire-related topics is a
                  strong positive, and the large number of trivial and personal

                  Each of those "personal" responses goes out to over 800 people, to
                  whom they are just "noise." Easy solution: Send each and every one of
                  those personal comments directly to the intended party, not to the
                  entire group. Those personal responses will be appreciated, and the
                  group SNR will drop noticeably.

                  Each one of us, moderators included, can improve our "netiquette"
                  here.

                  One more small point: Posting virtually every NWS weather message for
                  Southern California can actually be counterproductive. Far better if
                  each list member subscribes to EDIS messages through "EDIS by E-mail"
                  and customizes the alert regions and priorities to his/her personal
                  preferences. It's free. The link is
                  http://www.edis-by-email.net

                  Now, if I can just (ugh!) pull my (ugh!) foot out of this and
                  disappear back into the woodwork.
                • Mike Meadows

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                      Mike Meadows KICKS ASS and we are fortunate to have Mike posting on this site! All hale Mike Meadows!

                      Mike, Thanks for providing us all with the opportunity to look at your photo's! They are great. I'm not a moderator on this site but as far as I'm concerned, please keep'em rollin!

                      ----------------

                      You guys are bitching about us talking about the lightning????? The same lightning that has started numerous fires in the past few days???????

                      My deepest apoligies to anyone I have offended. It certainly wasn't my intention. Had there been a major fire going on, I certainly wouldn't have shown any of those 3 (three) lightning pictures to the people who enjoyed them.

                      Again, I'm so sorry........Nothing more will be said on this by me.

                      On Sep 1, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Scott Mueller wrote:

                      Mark

                      I agree with you 100% on that it does get old after a while

                      >Here's a thought: How about everyone read the rules that were just
                      >posted to the group!!! This thread is about as

                      Chris

                      Sent via Motorola Blackberry on Verizon Wireless.
                    • Craig Lindstrom
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                        Mike Meadows is a god! :)

                        --
                        Please conduct extended and/or off topic discussions on
                        SoCalFire-Discussion.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        5:21 PM

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        5:21 PM
                      • Scott Mueller
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                          in regards to mike saying we were bitching i was not bitching i was
                          just making a statement if it offended someone i apololgize

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                            Thanks Chris and Craig....geez....lol....thanks everyone. This is what I've done my whole career with the LA Times and carried it on after leaving the paper. I thank all of you for your support. I enjoy posting my shots for the group simply because of the comments in here now.
                                Scott and the other did not bother me with the posts, matter of fact Scott and I have yakked before. There is no problem as everyone can state their opinion.....Again, thank you all and Craig, knock off that god crap, ok????  lol.....

                            On Sep 1, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Craig Lindstrom wrote:

                            Mike Meadows is a god! :)

                            You guys are bitching about us talking about the lightning????? The same
                            lightning that has started numerous fires in the past few days???????

                            My deepest apoligies to anyone I have offended. It certainly wasn't my
                            intention. Had there been a major fire going on, I certainly wouldn't have
                            shown any of those 3 (three) lightning pictures to the people who enjoyed
                            them.

                            Again, I'm so sorry........Nothing more will be said on this by me.

                            On Sep 1, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Scott Mueller wrote:

                            Mark

                            I agree with you 100% on that it does get old after a while

                            >Here's a thought: How about everyone read the rules that were just
                            >posted to the group!!! This thread is about as

                            Chris

                            Sent via Motorola Blackberry on Verizon Wireless.

                            --
                            Please conduct extended and/or off topic discussions on
                            SoCalFire-Discussion.

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            5:21 PM

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.