Re: Tulare County - Gold Ledge Incident

  • sh9730
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
      200 acres per Air Attack with potential to 2000.

      1335 Hrs
    • sh9730
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
        Apparently they lost the right flank on this and now hearing someone
        (not sure if IC or not) saying 400 acres and heading towards the Kern
        Platuea ledge. Webcams a lot more visible now. Not sure I put good
        links to those earlier.

        http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/swfrs/Pages/WebCam.html

        From that page pick Breckenridge cameras 1 or 2 for best views.
      • sh9730
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
          Havent been able to copy too much official update, but per South OPS
          webpage IMT is enroute and looking at the webcam this is still burnin
          pretty good.

          1730 HRS
        • Kim Noyes
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
            I've been monitoring Breckinridge firecam 2 this morning and there has been
            nothing but lazy diffuse smoke but in the most recent frame a dark column of
            smoke has punched through the inversion for the first time today so here we
            go!

            --
            Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
            Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
          • sh9730
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
              2nd hand info from another list. Fire is over 2500 acres and zero
              containment.
            • Firehouse Yahoo
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                I was just looking at the current 209 for the fire as of 0700 this morning. They listed it as 1000 acres, but as you said it's probably 2500 acres+. It also has to be one of the most incomplete 209's I've seen. It lists growth potential and terrain as extreme yet they don't list any resource needs, projected movement, etc. Basically there's no info on this 209 at all. About the opposite I was taught to do when filling one out. It'll be interesting to see if they do an update before 1900 tonight if it blows up. It's defintely breaking through the inversion layer right now and starting to move.

                Anyone know anything about this Shannon Inc also in Tulare? 1500+ acres, 50% contained. DEER CREEK FIRE CONTROL RD, S/E OF PORTERVILLE CA

                Dave
                SoCalFire Moderator

              • bbfires
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Just recently heard that a dry cold front will be moving through the
                  area which will result in sustained winds up to 20 mph with gusts to 40.

                  A Red Flag Warning and some Watches are up for lee sides of central
                  and socal mountains:

                  http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/cafw/

                  --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Firehouse Yahoo"
                  <firehouse_yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > I was just looking at the current 209 for the fire as of 0700 this
                  morning. They listed it as 1000 acres, but as you said it's probably
                  2500 acres+. It also has to be one of the most incomplete 209's I've
                  seen. It lists growth potential and terrain as extreme yet they don't
                  list any resource needs, projected movement, etc. Basically there's no
                  info on this 209 at all. About the opposite I was taught to do when
                  filling one out. It'll be interesting to see if they do an update
                  before 1900 tonight if it blows up. It's defintely breaking through
                  the inversion layer right now and starting to move.

                  > Anyone know anything about this Shannon Inc also in Tulare? 1500+
                  acres, 50% contained. DEER CREEK FIRE CONTROL RD, S/E OF PORTERVILLE CA

                  > Dave
                  > SoCalFire Moderator

                • John Gleichweit PDA
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Kim, that's about normal for that area. Back in '02 when I was in there on the McNalley fire, that was how the daily fire behavior was. The header would blow through the inversion around 10:30, and the fire would take off and burn good for about 10 hours (8:00PM) and then settle down for the night. The night shift would cut line like hell, and fire off from it first thing in the morning, before every thing took off again.

                    --
                    Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                    Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
                    School.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    John Gleichweit, N6FOG, CA-OES 51-507
                  • John Gleichweit PDA
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                      I just got a call about a deployment for Comm 60 to Tulare County, so I'll be finding out more on that in a bit...

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                        Looks like significant wind shift on this right now and it is ripping
                        up a large drainage in a more easterly direction.
                      • Chris Nichols
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                          Please send webcam link.

                          Thanks

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                            You can get to them a couple different ways but they are both a few
                            step process. I use:

                            http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/ then select
                            "Sierra Wildland Fire Reporting System (SWFRS)"
                            then at the top right select "Real Time" then ""Web Cam" in the pull
                            down.
                            When the pop up shows select Breckenridge 1 and 2.

                            You can also access these same views from the National Weather
                            Service site for the area.

                            --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Nichols" <chris3560@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Please send webcam link.
                            >
                            > Thanks

                          • Firehouse Yahoo
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                              > Please send webcam link.

                              http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/swfrs/Pages/WebCam.html
                              Breckenridge 2 cam.

                              Dave
                              SoCalFire Moderator
                            • Art Deyo
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                Try this webcam from Tobias Peak for a differant angle (Tobias Peak
                                webcam #4)

                                http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/swfrs_display_webcam.pl?
                                camera=tobias_peak_4

                                <firehouse_yahoo@...> wrote:

                                > > Please send webcam link.
                                >
                                > http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/swfrs/Pages/WebCam.html
                                > Breckenridge 2 cam.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                > SoCalFire Moderator

                              • Kim Noyes
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                  There is one more great cam that is even closer in and it is from the
                                  opposite direction looking SE at the fire: Sherman Peak Cam 5 (Siretta Peak)

                                  --
                                  Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                                  Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
                                  School.
                                • firecop6284
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                    Anyone have lat & log's for the fire?
                                  • John Gleichweit
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                      http://www.inciweb.org/incident/685/

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                        John, et al,
                                        I was going to ask how close this was to the southern margin of the McNally
                                        Burn Area and that answered my question but created a new one.
                                        It says they want to keep this new fire south of the McNally Burn Area.
                                        Why are they concerned about that?
                                        Would it not be easier to allow the left flank to burn into that which is
                                        only five year-old growth and then attack it in the lighter fuels instead of
                                        fighting it in older, heavier fuels?

                                        Kim

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                          There are a LOT of cabins in that area, and the south end of the McNalley fire is some really rough territory. IIRC, it's all helos and handcrews due to the steep terrain.

                                          I was going to ask how close this was to the southern margin of the McNally
                                          Burn Area and that answered my question but created a new one.
                                          It says they want to keep this new fire south of the McNally Burn Area.
                                          Why are they concerned about that?
                                          Would it not be easier to allow the left flank to burn into that which is
                                          only five year-old growth and then attack it in the lighter fuels instead of
                                          fighting it in older, heavier fuels?

                                          Kim

                                          On 6/4/07, John Gleichweit <smokeybehr@...> wrote:

                                          > http://www.inciweb.org/incident/685/

                                        • Bob Bass - Crest 405, CSV V13
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                            Kim

                                            As John noted, there are numerous cabins in the area, most
                                            notably in the Horse Meadow area. This area was spared during
                                            both the Manter and McNally fires. Hopefully they can do it
                                            again for this little piece of heaven.

                                            Bob Bass
                                            KG6YWQ
                                          • sh9730
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                              Big key will be if they beat tomorrows winds. Last one on this fire
                                              from me unless significant or over on Discussion.

                                              --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bass - Crest 405, CSV V13"
                                              <crest405@...> wrote:

                                              > Kim
                                              >
                                              > As John noted, there are numerous cabins in the area, most
                                              > notably in the Horse Meadow area. This area was spared during
                                              > both the Manter and McNally fires. Hopefully they can do it
                                              > again for this little piece of heaven.
                                              >
                                              > Bob Bass
                                              > KG6YWQ

                                            • code3rsq
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 4, 2007
                                                There not going to beat anything in that terrain with the limited
                                                number of crews, and none on resource requests. --- In
                                                SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@...> wrote:

                                                > Big key will be if they beat tomorrows winds. Last one on this fire
                                                > from me unless significant or over on Discussion.
                                                >
                                                > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bass - Crest 405, CSV V13"
                                                > <crest405@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Kim
                                                > >
                                                > > As John noted, there are numerous cabins in the area, most
                                                > > notably in the Horse Meadow area. This area was spared during
                                                > > both the Manter and McNally fires. Hopefully they can do it
                                                > > again for this little piece of heaven.
                                                > >
                                                > > Bob Bass
                                                > > KG6YWQ

                                              • sh9730
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 5, 2007
                                                  Local news reports as of 1730 say the winds pushed this one to 3900
                                                  acres today. Webcams were not viewable due to cloud cover.

                                                  1900