Re: Superscooper Sighting

  • Kim Noyes
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3 6:02 AM
      Achtung Gruppe!
      Last night I was in Kingman, AZ, and tried to post the following
      message which got eaten by Yahell.
      Okay, here it is:

      "A short time ago while walking along Andy Devine Drive (Old Route 66)
      a CL-415 "Super Scooper" flew westbound right over The Mother Road and
      then banked hard to the left on approach Kingman Airport.
      Could this guy be taking a pit stop en route to SoCal in lieu of the
      weather there?"

      Kim Noyes
      Atascadero
    • Kim Noyes
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3 6:26 AM
        Lookey here and read the following which has the fire danger right
        here in western Arizona.
        Does anybody know if any agency in this neck of the woods has a
        contract with Quebec to use the Super Scooper?
        They would have plenty of scooping oppurtunities in this area.

        Red Flag Warning

        RED FLAG WARNING
        NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PHOENIX AZ
        614 AM MST SAT MAR 3 2007

        AZZ131-CAZ231-032300-
        /O.NEW.KPSR.FW.W.0002.070303T1600Z-070303T2300Z/
        YUMA/MARTINEZ LAKE AND VICINITY/LOWER COLORADO RIVER VALLEY AZ-
        LOWER COLORADO RIVER VALLEY CA-
        614 AM MST SAT MAR 3 2007 /514 AM PST SAT MAR 3 2007/

        ...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM MST /8 AM PST/ THIS
        MORNING TO 4 PM MST /3 PM PST/ THIS AFTERNOON FOR PORTIONS OF
        THE LOWER COLORADO RIVER DUE TO STRONG GUSTY WINDS...LOW HUMIDITIES
        AND A HIGH FIRE DANGER..

        THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PHOENIX HAS ISSUED A RED FLAG
        WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM MST /8 AM PST/ THIS
        MORNING TO 4 PM MST /3 PM PST/ THIS AFTERNOON.

        HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVER THE REGION GENERATING STRONG GUSTY
        WINDS TODAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST CALIFORNIA AND THE LOWER
        COLORADO RIVER VALLEY. NORTHERLY WINDS WILL BEGIN TO INCREASE THIS
        MORNING ALONG THE RIVER VALLEY...INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 MPH...ALONG
        WITH HIGHER GUSTS TO NEAR 30 MPH BY MIDDAY. DRY CONDITIONS PERSIST..
        WITH MINIMUM HUMIDITY LEVELS QUICKLY DROPPING INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS
        AND REMAINING LOW INTO THE EVENING HOURS. THE WIND FIELD WILL DIMINISH
        AFTER SUNSET...HOWEVER HUMIDITY LEVELS WILL STRUGGLE TO RECOVER ABOVE
        25 PERCENT. THE STRONG GUSTY WINDS...COMBINED WITH LOW HUMIDITIES AND
        A HIGH FIRE DANGER WARRANT THE ISSUANCE OF THIS RED FLAG WARNING.

        PLEASE ADVISE THE APPROPRIATE OFFICIALS AND FIRE CREWS IN THE
        FIELD OF THIS RED FLAG WARNING.

        <http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/warnings.php?wfo=psr&pil=XXXRFWPSR&zone=azz131&productType=Red%20Flag%20Warning>

        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Noyes" <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

        > Achtung Gruppe!
        > Last night I was in Kingman, AZ, and tried to post the following
        > message which got eaten by Yahell.
        > Okay, here it is:
        >
        > "A short time ago while walking along Andy Devine Drive (Old Route 66)
        > a CL-415 "Super Scooper" flew westbound right over The Mother Road and
        > then banked hard to the left on approach Kingman Airport.
        > Could this guy be taking a pit stop en route to SoCal in lieu of the
        > weather there?"
        >
        > Kim Noyes
        > Atascadero

      • Hap W
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3 7:36 AM
          Scooper more than likely belongs to AeroFlight, one of the airtanker
          operators whose home base is the Kingman Airport. The company supplied DC-4
          airtankers to the USFS and State of Alaska until the DC-4 were permanently
          grounded. I know they currently have at least one CL-215 scooper.

          Howard W.

          Ryan AAB, Public Info

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3 7:57 AM
            Howard,
            Thanks for the info.
            That makes sense since I saw one here the last day of last November or
            the first day of last December and at that time also assumed it was on
            its way to SoCal so I figured last night's sighting for the second
            consecutive visit here to be a mere coincidence.
            Now I know it is based here.
            Do you know which agency(s) hires this particular aircraft?
            State of Arizona?
            Dept. of Interior?
            Dept. of Agriculture?

            Kim

            --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Hap W" <nkpcommando@...> wrote:

            > Scooper more than likely belongs to AeroFlight, one of the airtanker
            > operators whose home base is the Kingman Airport. The company
            supplied DC-4
            > airtankers to the USFS and State of Alaska until the DC-4 were
            permanently
            > grounded. I know they currently have at least one CL-215 scooper.
            >

            > Howard W.
            >
            > Ryan AAB, Public Info

            On Behalf
            > Of Kim Noyes
            > Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:02 AM
            > To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [SoCalFire] Re: Superscooper Sighting
            >

            > Achtung Gruppe!
            > Last night I was in Kingman, AZ, and tried to post the following
            > message which got eaten by Yahell.
            > Okay, here it is:
            >
            > "A short time ago while walking along Andy Devine Drive (Old Route 66)
            > a CL-415 "Super Scooper" flew westbound right over The Mother Road and
            > then banked hard to the left on approach Kingman Airport.
            > Could this guy be taking a pit stop en route to SoCal in lieu of the
            > weather there?"
            >
            > Kim Noyes
            > Atascadero

          • Mickey Kopanski
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3 8:26 AM
              AgustaWestland is pleased to announce that the Los Angeles Fire Department
              (LAFD) has awarded a contract for two AW139 medium-twin helicopters to
              perform fire-fighting missions in the city-related area.

              These are the first AW139 aircraft to be purchased by the LAFD and such
              selection also marks the beginning of the AW139's deployment as a
              fire-fighter worldwide. This new role follows a wide range of parapublic
              tasks among which search and rescue, emergency medical service and law
              enforcement.

              "The Los Angeles Fire Department is pleased to announce the acquisition of
              two new AW139 helicopters. Through design and development, the LAFD /
              AgustaWestland partnership has created an aircraft that will meet our
              Department's current needs and those well into the future", said Doug Barry,
              Fire Chief for the City of Los Angeles.

              "The AW139 helicopter will provide greater performance through its increased
              air speed and allow for a greater margin of safety through engine
              performance. Its easy convertibility for Fire, EMS, or Rescue related
              incidents, and cutting-edge technology, will bring the Los Angeles Fire
              Department to the forefront of 'fire service' aircraft design. Ultimately,
              the greatest benefit will be enhanced emergency services to the City of Los
              Angeles and it's citizens. We look forward to the arrival of the first AW139
              Airship in 2008" added Barry.

              The Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) is a full-spectrum life safety agency
              protecting the more than 4 million people who live, work and play in
              America's second largest City.

              The LAFD's choice demonstrates the great reliance upon the AW139's
              characteristics to successfully accomplish the mission thanks to its
              excellent performance and operational availability, state-of-the-art
              avionics, high safety level and ease of maintenance, proving the best value
              for money solution.

              Orders for more than 210 AW139s have been placed by customers around world
              for a wide range of roles including search and rescue, law enforcement,
              medical evacuation, offshore transport and executive
              VIP/Corporate transport, making it the best selling helicopter in its class.

            • Hap W
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3 9:10 AM
                Not a clue. I think Matt was flying a contract for the State of Minnesota a
                couple of years ago but not real sure, and certainly have no clue to what
                his schedule is this year? Been a while since I have seen Matt.

                The ex-airtanker DC-4 that crashed in Alaska hauling freight several months
                ago was one of Matt's old airtankers. The aircraft was flown by ARDCO for
                many years as T-153. Matt bought the tanker in the late 90s and changed the
                number to T-161. Guess he sold the aircraft after the Forest Service
                grounded the DC-4 to a freight hauler? Aircraft caught fire in flight and
                crew had to sit her down in the woods. Crew was ok but aircraft a write-off.
                Sad way to see the life of an aircraft that flew many USFS contracts out of
                Ramona and Hemet end.

                Howard W.

                Ryan AAB, Public Info

                --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou <mailto:SoCalFire%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com, "Hap
                W" <nkpcommando@...> wrote:

                > Scooper more than likely belongs to AeroFlight, one of the airtanker
                > operators whose home base is the Kingman Airport. The company
                supplied DC-4
                > airtankers to the USFS and State of Alaska until the DC-4 were
                permanently
                > grounded. I know they currently have at least one CL-215 scooper.
                >

                > Howard W.
                >
                > Ryan AAB, Public Info

              • bbfires
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3 9:23 AM
                  from Bombardier site:

                  "The size of the Superscooper family in the U.S. consists of six
                  CL-215 currently operating across the United States, particularly in
                  the northern region and in Alaska. Two of them were purchased by the
                  Sate of Minnesota and one, by the State of North Carolina. Aero Flite,
                  a private operator based in Kingman, Arizona, purchased three CL-215
                  in 2003. On the lease front, there is a long-term agreement between
                  the Los Angeles Fire department and the government of Quebec, Canada
                  for the services of two Bombardier 415."

                  -- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Hap W" <nkpcommando@...> wrote:

                  > Not a clue. I think Matt was flying a contract for the State of
                  Minnesota a
                  > couple of years ago but not real sure, and certainly have no clue to
                  what
                  > his schedule is this year? Been a while since I have seen Matt.

                • Brian Humphrey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3 10:10 AM
                    >>> "bbfires" <bb1979@...> 3/3/2007 9:23 AM >>>
                    from Bombardier site:

                    "The size of the Superscooper family in the U.S... On the lease front, there is a long-term agreement between the Los Angeles Fire department and the government of Quebec, Canada for the services of two Bombardier 415."

                    Brent,

                    Thanks for the post which is indeed quoted verbatim from the Bombardier site.

                    For the benefit of those who may come across this message thread in future years, I am please to clarify that it is our friends at the 'County of Los Angeles Fire Department' (an agency separate from ours) and not the 'Los Angeles Fire Department' that has chosen to annually lease the Quebec aircraft. You and many others know that... but given the number of passionate phone callers who call about the planes, as well as those seeking a definitive to:

                    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/scuba.asp

                    ...it seems worthy of mention. Contrary to perpetual rumors, there has been and at this time remains no interest by our agency to purchase or lease these or other fixed wing aircraft. Those desirous of further information about the 'SuperScooper' use by the County of Los Angeles may contact our friends at the LACoFD directly:

                    Los Angeles County Fire Department
                    1320 North Eastern Avenue
                    Los Angeles, CA 90063
                    LACoFD HQ Business Telephone: (323) 881-2411

                    Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

                    Brian Humphrey
                    Firefighter/Paramedic
                    Public Information Officer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 3 12:14 PM
                      I didn't notice the error. I thought that I'd seen something on the
                      Bombardier site in which they correctly said that it was LA County FD.

                      I went back and checked, and found a slightly different version of the
                      first quote, which also incorrectly states Los Angeles Fire Department.

                      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Humphrey"

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3 9:30 PM
                        *Howard, *
                        *Thanks for the additional information.*
                        *I was unaware of the DC-4 crash you mention.*
                        *There is something melancholy about a plane's life ending in a crash even
                        without the crew being harmed.*
                        **
                        *Kim Noyes*
                        *Atascadero
                        *

                        On 3/3/07, Hap W <nkpcommando@...> wrote:

                        > Not a clue. I think Matt was flying a contract for the State of
                        > Minnesota a
                        > couple of years ago but not real sure, and certainly have no clue to what
                        > his schedule is this year? Been a while since I have seen Matt.
                        >
                        > The ex-airtanker DC-4 that crashed in Alaska hauling freight several
                        > months
                        > ago was one of Matt's old airtankers. The aircraft was flown by ARDCO for
                        > many years as T-153. Matt bought the tanker in the late 90s and changed
                        > the
                        > number to T-161. Guess he sold the aircraft after the Forest Service
                        > grounded the DC-4 to a freight hauler? Aircraft caught fire in flight and
                        > crew had to sit her down in the woods. Crew was ok but aircraft a
                        > write-off.
                        > Sad way to see the life of an aircraft that flew many USFS contracts out
                        > of
                        > Ramona and Hemet end.
                        >
                        > Howard W.
                        >
                        > Ryan AAB, Public Info

                        Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                        Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
                        School.
                      • Kim Noyes
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 3 9:37 PM
                          *Brian,*
                          *I misindentified the aircraft I saw last night it appears.*
                          *It did seem smaller than I remember CL-415's being but I rationalized it
                          away that it was due to this aircraft being higher up than I had seen one
                          before so I'm guessing CL-215's are a bit smaller than CL-415's.*
                          *I'm more familiar with the SoCal aircraft than what those guys with the
                          funky accents up in Minnisooooota use.*
                          **
                          *So, does anybody know which agency(s) utilizes Aero Flite's three CL-215's?
                          *
                          **
                          *Kurious Kim*
                          *Atascadero*

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3 9:39 PM
                            *Crap, I meant BRENT, not BRIAN.*
                            *Solly Brent!
                            *

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 3 9:46 PM
                              *Brian, *
                              *Thanks for the clarification.*
                              *I remember Outside Magazine several years ago featuring a snippet of that
                              urban legend presented as fact but the location was one of those huge fires
                              up in Montana or Wyoming back in 2000 or whichever year featured that
                              massive Clear Creek Fire. *
                              *Snopes.com is great for checking just about every story one of your friends
                              BC's or CC's you.*
                              *As often as not it will be on Snopes.com and be utter nonsense.*
                              *I co-own **http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/hoaxesandmyths/*<http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/hoaxesandmyths/>
                              * and we discuss these sorts of online urban legends that circulate on the
                              internet along with Nigerian 419 scammers (whom some of our members
                              counter-scam for pure entertainment) and other IT-related matters. *
                              **
                              *Kim
                              *

                              On 3/3/07, Brian Humphrey <brian.humphrey@...> wrote:

                              > 9:23 AM >>>
                              > from Bombardier site:
                              >
                              > "The size of the Superscooper family in the U.S... On the lease front,
                              > there is a long-term agreement between the Los Angeles Fire department and
                              > the government of Quebec, Canada for the services of two Bombardier 415."
                              >
                              > Brent,
                              >
                              > Thanks for the post which is indeed quoted verbatim from the Bombardier
                              > site.
                              >
                              > For the benefit of those who may come across this message thread in future
                              > years, I am please to clarify that it is our friends at the 'County of Los
                              > Angeles Fire Department' (an agency separate from ours) and not the 'Los
                              > Angeles Fire Department' that has chosen to annually lease the Quebec
                              > aircraft. You and many others know that... but given the number of
                              > passionate phone callers who call about the planes, as well as those seeking
                              > a definitive to:
                              >
                              > http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/scuba.asp
                              >
                              > ...it seems worthy of mention. Contrary to perpetual rumors, there has
                              > been and at this time remains no interest by our agency to purchase or lease
                              > these or other fixed wing aircraft. Those desirous of further information
                              > about the 'SuperScooper' use by the County of Los Angeles may contact our
                              > friends at the LACoFD directly:
                              >
                              > Los Angeles County Fire Department
                              > 1320 North Eastern Avenue
                              > Los Angeles, CA 90063
                              > LACoFD HQ Business Telephone: (323) 881-2411
                              >
                              > Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,
                              >
                              > Brian Humphrey
                              > Firefighter/Paramedic
                              > Public Information Officer
                              > Los Angeles Fire Department

                              --
                              Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                              Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
                              School.
                            • Frank Henrikson
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 3 9:58 PM

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 3 10:13 PM
                                  *Mickey,*
                                  *Thanks for sharing this information which is very interesting.*
                                  *An Italian/British-manufactured aircraft, eh?*
                                  *Too bad they didn't purchase something American-manufactured but I suppose
                                  when we're talking about matters of life and death then supporting American
                                  manufacturers is rightly less important. *
                                  *For purposes of comparison I would be curious to see the characteristics of
                                  the Sikorsky Firehawk that LACO FD uses put next to the AW139 that LAFD will
                                  be using.*
                                  **
                                  *Kim Noyes*
                                  *Atascadero*

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 3 11:29 PM
                                    --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Noyes" <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

                                    > *Too bad they didn't purchase something American-manufactured but I
                                    suppose
                                    > when we're talking about matters of life and death then supporting
                                    American
                                    > manufacturers is rightly less important. *

                                    In cars, aircraft - and the fire service, the world is ever changing
                                    and sometimes our perceptions of origin and purpose can be skewed.

                                    FWIW, while awaiting a chance to speak with the AW staff last year, I
                                    had to wait for the those building the new Marine One fleet to finish
                                    their meeting. Yes, the next she or he in the White House will be
                                    flying in a core AW craft largely (marketed and) wrapped in Lockheed
                                    sheetmetal.

                                    Please know that the LAFD AW139 was conceptualized and commenced design
                                    well prior to Y2K, with what was then known as the Bell/Agusta
                                    Aerospace Company. Bell and Agusta have a decades long relationship
                                    that dates way back to the Bell 47.

                                    The aim of the joint modern-day corporation was to develop both the
                                    Bell/Agusta AB139 helicopter and the Bell/Agusta BA609 tiltrotor
                                    aircraft. Bell later withdrew from the AB139 project, which came to
                                    market at Agusta/Westland.

                                    > *For purposes of comparison I would be curious to see the
                                    characteristics of
                                    > the Sikorsky Firehawk that LACO FD uses put next to the AW139 that
                                    LAFD will
                                    > be using.*

                                    They are both fine aircraft. Regardless of the agency, at the end of
                                    the day, those who fly tell me it's more about the particular pilot and
                                    the mission at hand than the hardware.

                                    Ah, this (like sooooo much that appears here these days?) seems to be
                                    more worthy of the *Discussion* Group. So I'll probably head over there
                                    for any follow up.

                                    Our proxy release with generic photos is here:

                                    http://lafd.blogspot.com/2007/03/two-new-helicopters-to-join-lafd-
                                    fleet.html

                                    Stay Safe and Be Well,

                                    Brian
                                  • Kim Noyes
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 3 11:44 PM
                                      *Brian, *
                                      *Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all that and clear up my
                                      misperceptions/gaps in knowledge.*
                                      *I hope you realize I was not trying to be contentious but I was curious
                                      about those things as I'm oft wont to be about wonkish minutia and trivia.*
                                      **
                                      *Kim
                                      *

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 5 8:25 AM
                                        This'll be a nice helicopter to see in the City colors.

                                        Mickey