Re: Fwd: Fw: [EDIS] RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PST THIS [Ur

  • raffertysec
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
      Another often helpful user slammed. Awesome.

      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Mike Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:

      > hehe, way to go Kim...I was holding my tongue and keeping his post
      > until we got a big fire.......Winds are sustained at 28 with 40mph
      > gusts at my house now...higher elsewhere.........M
      > On Jan 4, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Kim Noyes wrote:
      >
      > > Ben,
      > > Not so fast there pardner: where's all the fire season-ending
      rain?
      > > It seems to me things are still fairly dry in many areas of
      Southern
      > > California and don't you know the recent fire history of Southern
      > > California?
      > > Here's a refresher course:
      > >
      > > A) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Sierra Fire this past February in the
      > > Cleveland NF which consumed 10,584 acres started by escaped
      prescribed
      > > fire. Read here: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/6807749/detail.html
      > >
      > > B) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Gavilan Fire near Fallbrook in
      February
      > > '02 which consumed 5,763 acres and 43 homes and damaged 13 others.
      > > Read here: http://www.firehouse.com/hotshots/photostories/2002/2/
      and
      > > http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/
      > > 20020212-9999_1n12falfire.html
      > >
      > > C) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Viejas Fire near Alpine in
      January '01
      > > which burned 10,353 acres and 14 structures.
      > > Goto the link here and read:
      > > http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/01/07/wildfire.02/
      > >
      > > D) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Santa Anita II Fire that burned 750
      acres
      > > above Arcadia between Christmas and New Year's Eve '99. Alan
      Simmons
      > > has this in his '99 video.
      > >
      > > E) A week before that there was the Santa Ana Wind-driven Ranch
      Fire
      > > in Ventura County which burned 4,400 acres and which Chris fought
      on
      > > which is discussed here:
      > > http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/newslog/feb2001/roundup/ranchfire.html
      > >
      > > F) Concurrent with that was the Santa Ana Wind-driven Rafael Fire
      in
      > > the Verdugo Mountains which burned into the City of Glendale (I
      > > believe it burned near the 2 Freeway) consuming over 740 acres
      and is
      > > mentioned here:
      > > http://www.fire.uni-freiburg.de/current/archive/us/1999/12/
      > > us_231299.htm
      > >
      > > G) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Hondo Canyon Fire which started on
      the
      > > 21st or 22nd of December, 1977, and burned 10,000 acres on
      Vandenburg
      > > AFB and overran and killed the base commander, the base fire
      chief,
      > > his assistant, and a dozer operator.
      > >
      > > Kim Noyes
      > > Atascadero
      > >
      > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Brissey" <bbrissey@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Guys, really. You can worry not until next summer or fall, fire
      > > season is
      > > > over, let it rest. Don't get too excited over high wind
      warnings
      > > and red
      > > > flag warnings this time of the year. It's over, take a break,
      Merry
      > > > Christmas & Happy New Year. See you in spring.

      HYPERLINK "http://www.bensweather.com/"http://www.bensweather.com

    • Mike Meadows
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
        Anyone who has been in the fire service or associated with the
        fire service knows such a statement is false. Nothing against Ben at
        all. As Kim has shown, we do and still will (maybe this weekend) get
        huge fires in the winter.
        The fire season, by FD standards, is technically over but as we
        all know, it's not.....I've been doing this for 30 years and can't
        tell you how many big burns I've been on in the winter.
        C'mon Raff, Ben wasn't slammed, Kim just showed him the error of
        his ways.....lol

      • Kim Noyes
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
          Said "helpful user" was admonishing everybody for posting about Red
          Flag Warnings and other such bulletins and dogmatically asserting that
          the fire danger to Southern California has passed for this season as
          if the National Weather Service office in Southern California didn't
          know what it was talking about in posting said bulletins.
          Some people quite politely and reasonably begged to differ.
          That's slamming?
          Awesome.

          Bad Kim

          --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "raffertysec" <raffertysec@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > in Ventura County which burned 4,400 acres and which Chris fought
          > on
          > > > which is discussed here:
          > > > http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/newslog/feb2001/roundup/ranchfire.html
          > > >
          > > > F) Concurrent with that was the Santa Ana Wind-driven Rafael Fire
          > in
          > > > the Verdugo Mountains which burned into the City of Glendale (I
          > > > believe it burned near the 2 Freeway) consuming over 740 acres
          > and is
          > > > mentioned here:
          > > > http://www.fire.uni-freiburg.de/current/archive/us/1999/12/
          > > > us_231299.htm
          > > >
          > > > G) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Hondo Canyon Fire which started on
          > the
          > > > 21st or 22nd of December, 1977, and burned 10,000 acres on
          > Vandenburg
          > > > AFB and overran and killed the base commander, the base fire

        • Chris Nichols
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
            It's a beautiful day in the desert today! The sand is taking the paint off my truck. Its great. My trashcans are in my neighbors yard 3 miles away. I planted a 6' pine tree in my yard about 2 weeks ago that is currently no where to be found. I love the wind. It just makes you feel real warm inside!

            Chris
            Yucca Valley
            Anyone who has been in the fire service or associated with the
            fire service knows such a statement is false. Nothing against Ben at
            all. As Kim has shown, we do and still will (maybe this weekend) get
            huge fires in the winter.
            The fire season, by FD standards, is technically over but as we
            all know, it's not.....I've been doing this for 30 years and can't
            tell you how many big burns I've been on in the winter.
            C'mon Raff, Ben wasn't slammed, Kim just showed him the error of
            his ways.....lol
            On Jan 5, 2007, at 2:13 PM, raffertysec wrote:

            > Another often helpful user slammed. Awesome.
            >
            > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou: <mailto:SoCalFire%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com, Mike Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > hehe, way to go Kim...I was holding my tongue and keeping his post
            > > until we got a big fire.......Winds are sustained at 28 with 40mph
            > > gusts at my house now...higher elsewhere.........M
            > > On Jan 4, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Kim Noyes wrote:
            > >
            > > > Ben,
            > > > Not so fast there pardner: where's all the fire season-ending
            > rain?
            > > > It seems to me things are still fairly dry in many areas of
            > Southern
            > > > California and don't you know the recent fire history of Southern
            > > > California?
            > > > Here's a refresher course:
            > > >
            > > > A) The Santa Ana Wind-driven Sierra Fire this past February in the
            > > > Cleveland NF which consumed 10,584 acres started by escaped
            > prescribed
            > > > fire. Read here: http://www.nbc4: <http://www.nbc4.t

            Sent via Motorola Blackberry on Verizon Wireless.
          • Bob Tiberi
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
              At 14:39 1/5/2007, Mike Meadows wrote:
              > The fire season, by FD standards, is technically over but as we
              >all know, it's not.....I

              Having lived in SoCal since 1960, I have learned that "fire season"
              is as nebulous as any typical season. The weather will do what it
              wants, when it wants.

              I have seen snow on Father's Day in the SB mountains, and I have hung
              out Christmas lights in Alta Loma wearing flip-flops and shorts. I
              can't remember who said it - "if you don't like the weather, wait
              five minutes."

              Bob in Running Springs

            • Mike Meadows
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                lmao....awesome Chris...I just landed an another area
                code........gonna get worse, I guess, by late Sun or early Mon and
                warmer......

              • david paulino
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Hey Chris, I think I have your tree here in
                  Temecula:)
                  --- Chris Nichols <chris3560@...>

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Chris Nichols
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Does it have a start on top?
                    --- Chris Nichols <chris3560@vzw.: <mailto:chris3560%40vzw.blackberry.net> blackberry.net>
                    wrote:

                    > It's a beautiful day in the desert today! The sand
                    > is taking the paint off my truck. Its great. My
                    > trashcans are in my neighbors yard 3 miles away. I
                    > planted a 6' pine tree in my yard about 2 weeks ago
                    > that is currently no where to be found. I love the
                    > wind. It just makes you feel real warm inside!
                    >
                    > Chris
                    > Yucca Valley

                  • Ian Schoenleber
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2007
                      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, david paulino <djpaulino@...> wrote:

                      > Hey Chris, I think I have your tree here in
                      > Temecula:)
                      > --- Chris Nichols <chris3560@...>

                      Actually, David, I think it's in the grille of my car ;)

                      -Ian
                    • Mike Meadows
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 6, 2007
                        Gee, I don't know ben....Fritz, Dallas and John Mountain are
                        calling this bad fire weather but what the hell do they know huh?
                        Now you have me wondering why, WHY a Red Flag and a fire weather
                        watch was called by the WEATHER SERVICE.....perhaps they should talk
                        to you before issuing such false statements.....hehe....Sorry ben,
                        couldn't help it....OK guys I'm done.....