Re: Super Scoopers

  • wldfire96
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 30, 2006
      I agree completely!! Very well put!

      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, JOsh Man <fyamun@...> wrote:

      > You guys are killing me! I am beginning to think this site is
      dominated by a bunch of wanna be firefighters - not all that use this
      site mind you - but a fair number - I was on the 1st alarm assignment
      for the VERY 1st first time the scoopers were ever used in the LA
      area ...just above Sunset & Laurel Canyon, Sept 1979 - they worked
      very well in a fast moving fire threatening many homes - we had to
      take cover under our rigs the fire came up so fast - and turn around
      time for the Super Scoopers was only 6 minutes from the coast....we
      needed them and were impressed with them - please if you are going
      to talk about firefighting tactics and strategies here have some
      training and experience...not just casual observations!

      > CA has some excellent departments and experienced wildland
      fireground officers - after all this state sees it all - please
      comment on tactics and strategy only when/if you truly understand
      them.

      > Art Deyo <adeyo@...> wrote:
      > I witnessed the "Super Scoopers" in action during a Santa
      Ana Wind
      > driven brush fire in LA County way back in 1980 (1978,79, and 80
      > will rockin' fire seasons). The bomber came in low and drop their
      > load of water. The water never made it to the base of the fire and
      > hence, was ineffective. The water literally blew away with the
      wind.
      > Perhaps they were more effective once the winds abated.
      >
      > Media driven public policy is dangerous (just ask the
      > cops).Politicians will start to appease the media pundits and
      ignore
      > the needs of the public. I suspect will we begin to see media
      driven
      > public policy with the new DC-10 tanker and perhaps the rumored 727
      > (or 747) under development.
      >
      > Just my observations. Art
      >
      > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Noyes" <kimnoyes@> wrote:
      > >
      > > While looking for something else on Wikipedia I came across their
      > > entry for the 1970 Laguna Fire in San Diego Co. and found this
      > > anecdote I had not heard before:
      > >
      > > At at time when high Santa Ana winds grounded other firefighting
      > > aircraft, a representative of Canadair brought a CL-215 to
      southern
      > > California to demonstrate its capabilities. He was turned away by
      > > firefighting officials. Nevertheless, while other firefighting
      > > aircraft were unable to fly safely he operated his "Super
      Scooper"
      > out
      > > of El Capitan Reservoir and dropped water on the Laguna Fire
      > wherever
      > > he saw fit. The firefighting officials were unimpressed and such
      > > aircraft are not used in southern California to fight fires to
      this
      > > day (with the exception of two CL-415s leased by Los Angeles
      County
      > > during the fire season).
      > >
      > > Courtesy of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laguna_Fire
      > >
      > > *Note: In my earlier entry on this thread I incorrectly stated the
      > > Williams Fire in Yuba Co. occured in 2000 when it actually
      occured
      > in
      > > 1997.
      > >
      > > Kim

    • Brent
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 30, 2006
        Reply will be on the discussion group.

        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markb911@...> wrote:

        > I think the whole point of this discussion has been lost somewhat.
        The thing is, fire season starts getting hot and heavy and people
        start screaming "Where are the Super Scoopers?", as if they are
        single-handedly going to stop any and all large fires, or stop any and
        all structures from being lost.
        > They are another tool in the box, just like anything else. You
        can't compare them with a tanker, because they are different. You
        can't compare them with a helitanker, because they are different.
        > Just because someone saw them kick ass on a fire in one situation,
        doesn't mean they will kick ass all the time. Like any other
        aircraft, they are most effective on small, IA fires, like the one
        yesterday.

        SoCalFire-Owner@yahoogroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jeremy greene
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 21, 2015
          In case you don't monitor Twitter LA County PIO just put out a tweet on  a live broadcast 10 AM today on the Super Scoopers press conference and tour at Van Nuys Airport using the Periscope App. see the tweet here  LACounty Fire PIO on Twitter

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 21, 2015

            Link to watch the Periscope video Now or later.

            https://watchonperiscope.com/users/lacountyfire%20pio/8737792

            In case you don't monitor Twitter LA County PIO just put out a tweet on  a live broadcast 10 AM today on the Super Scoopers press conference and tour at Van Nuys Airport using the Periscope App. see the tweet here  LACounty Fire PIO on Twitter

            Image removed by sender. image

            LACounty Fire PIO on Twitter

            Hmm... Something went wrong. Please try again.

            Preview by Yahoo