Re: Poss Plane Crash - Escondido City

  • sh9730
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
      Sounds like multiple structure fires as a result. Requesting 2 Type 1
      Strike teams.

      --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...> wrote:

      > Reports of at least 1, poss 2 planes down into structure with fire in
      > City of Escondido. Working on North RCS FD North Command 3 TG 1008.

    • sh9730
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
        IC requesting Type 3 strike team and aircraft from CDF now.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
          Only additional I can glean so far is a medium size jet into
          the "Rose Elementary School". Good thing school not in session!!

          --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...> wrote:

          > IC requesting Type 3 strike team and aircraft from CDF now.
          >
          > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>
          wrote:

          > > Sounds like multiple structure fires as a result. Requesting 2
          Type 1
          > > Strike teams.
          > >
          > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>
          wrote:

          > > > Reports of at least 1, poss 2 planes down into structure with
          fire
          > in
          > > > City of Escondido. Working on North RCS FD North Command 3 TG
          1008.

        • John
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
            This may well be training. Not near enough screaming on the radio. And I haven't actually heard any actual dispatches, just requests.

            Note that they aren't using actual strike team numbers, but rather talking about Strike Team Leader xxxx with xxxx being some chief's ID, not a strike team ID.

            John

            sh9730 <johnmsandiego@...> wrote: IC requesting Type 3 strike team and aircraft from CDF now.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
              Yeah...I was just thinking same thing...but hadnt heard
              anything....and why are they using North Cmd 3 and asking for
              additional Tac Channels etc...

              --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, John <thefishmail@y...> wrote:

              > This may well be training. Not near enough screaming on the
              radio. And I haven't actually heard any actual dispatches, just
              requests.

              > Note that they aren't using actual strike team numbers, but
              rather talking about Strike Team Leader xxxx with xxxx being some
              chief's ID, not a strike team ID.

              > John
              >
              > sh9730 <johnmsandiego@g...> wrote: IC requesting Type 3
              strike team and aircraft from CDF now.

              > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>
              wrote:

              > > Sounds like multiple structure fires as a result. Requesting 2
              Type 1
              > > Strike teams.
              > >
              > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>
              wrote:

              > > > Reports of at least 1, poss 2 planes down into structure with
              fire
              > in
              > > > City of Escondido. Working on North RCS FD North Command 3
              TG 1008.

            • Tim Tribble
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                Confirming this is a drill

                Tim Tribble
              • sh9730
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                  Yeah...this must be...absolutely NO traffic about this on the PD
                  side...Sheesh...sorry everyone...initially sounded VERY real and they
                  never did any of the obligatory "this is drill only" announcements....

                  --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...> wrote:

                  > Yeah...I was just thinking same thing...but hadnt heard
                  > anything....and why are they using North Cmd 3 and asking for
                  > additional Tac Channels etc...
                  >
                  > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, John <thefishmail@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This may well be training. Not near enough screaming on the
                  > radio. And I haven't actually heard any actual dispatches, just
                  > requests.
                  > >
                  > > Note that they aren't using actual strike team numbers, but
                  > rather talking about Strike Team Leader xxxx with xxxx being some
                  > chief's ID, not a strike team ID.
                  > >
                  > > John
                  > >
                  > > sh9730 <johnmsandiego@g...> wrote: IC requesting Type 3
                  > strike team and aircraft from CDF now.
                  > >
                  > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Sounds like multiple structure fires as a result. Requesting
                  2
                  > Type 1
                  > > > Strike teams.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730"
                  <johnmsandiego@g...>

                  > fire
                  > > in
                  > TG 1008.

                • F350 Mud Bogger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                    That's got to be a drill.

                    sh9730 wrote:

                    > Only additional I can glean so far is a medium size jet into
                    > the "Rose Elementary School". Good thing school not in session!!
                    >
                    > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > IC requesting Type 3 strike team and aircraft from CDF now.
                    > >
                    > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Sounds like multiple structure fires as a result. Requesting 2
                    > Type 1
                    > > > Strike teams.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "sh9730" <johnmsandiego@g...>

                    > fire
                    > > in
                    > 1008.

                    > SoCalFire-Owner@yahoogroups.com

                    > Hobby and craft supply
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=Sz5ebNg-ZsVyHTzaR4PnAg>
                    > Craft hobby
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=_8V4kQCK4PEN_MzUUBx-hQ>
                    > Hobbies and crafts
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=J-__6L1W_lZQ58dekNdHLA>
                    >
                    > Ham radio
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobbies+and+crafts&w4=Ham+radio&c=4&s=84&.sig=OzrEr-gq6h7guAFs73WsoQ>

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                      In case anyone thought that this list wasn't somewhat important, I got phone calls from a couple of different folks at OES asking about this drill/plane crash. I think they may have thought that I was JohnM. This list is monitored and info posted here can and does make it to the State Warning Center. I do believe that folks in the Escondido/San Marcos area have now had a very recent discussion on the importance of the words, "This is a drill".

                      Folks here do a great job picking up on incidents, but we do have to be a little careful to check sources, much like news reporters. Unless of course your name is Jayson Blaine and you work for the New York Times. ;)

                      John Fisher

                      sh9730 <johnmsandiego@...> wrote: Yeah...this must be...absolutely NO traffic about this on the PD

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                        Yeah...I feel bad about this!! As most here know...Im not a
                        novice...and I did wait several minutes before posting to see if I
                        heard anything that would have indicated a drill..or false
                        reports.....and believe me...the initial size ups and resource
                        requests sounded VERY real....and it was on Cmd 3...a TG that is
                        usally used for actual incidents...not drill traffic!

                        However, in this case though part of fault is definetely mine....See,
                        I normally dont monitor Esc FD Disp TG (too much traffic and not near
                        me), but I DO monitor North MA Command 3 where Esc FD conducts most
                        of their major incidents...hence when I hear traffic on that TG it is
                        usually worth listening too...

                        But as John (the other one..) picked up before I did...there was no
                        additional resource dispatches occurring which would have been a tip
                        off...but since I wasnt monitoring the Disp TG I didnt know that...

                        Mea culpa...mea culpa....

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                          wrote:

                          > Yeah...I feel bad about this!! As most here know...Im not a
                          > novice...and I did wait several minutes before posting to see if I
                          > heard anything that would have indicated a drill..or false
                          > reports.....and believe me...the initial size ups and resource
                          > requests sounded VERY real....and it was on Cmd 3...a TG that is
                          > usally used for actual incidents...not drill traffic!
                          >
                          > However, in this case though part of fault is definetely
                          mine....See,
                          > I normally dont monitor Esc FD Disp TG (too much traffic and not
                          near
                          > me), but I DO monitor North MA Command 3 where Esc FD conducts
                          most
                          > of their major incidents...hence when I hear traffic on that TG it
                          is
                          > usually worth listening too...
                          >
                          > But as John (the other one..) picked up before I did...there was
                          no
                          > additional resource dispatches occurring which would have been a
                          tip
                          > off...but since I wasnt monitoring the Disp TG I didnt know that...
                          >
                          > Mea culpa...mea culpa....

                          JohnM,

                          It's not a huge deal. First and foremost as JohnF stated, Escondido
                          is getting educated. They should have stated this is a drill, drill
                          message, etc.

                          I have had the same thing happen here in Sacramento on White 1.
                          Believe me that got a lot of peoples attention. Again the incident
                          forgot to preface with the drill dialog. That got fixed really fast.
                          Not only do scanner enthusiasts monitor White 1 but so do most Fire
                          Comm Centers. Lots of phone calls on that one.

                          Keep listening, keep reporting, keep us all on our toes!!

                          Tim Tribble
                          Co-Moderator
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 21, 2005
                            Not meant as a criticism of you John, just a reminder that some public safety professionals do use this list as an intelligence gathering source. I've seen many other posts from you that are very professional. I do get a little bent at the "me too" and "thanks" posts because I am trying to distill out important info, but then, I'm not the list owner.

                            I don't have my last name listed on my posts because I don't want anything I say to be interpreted as "official", but perhaps I should start. That may have contributed to the confusion a little as well.

                            John Fisher

                            sh9730 <johnmsandiego@...> wrote: Yeah...I feel bad about this!! As most here know...Im not a