Re: [SoCalFire] Re: weather

  • Mike Meadows
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 9, 2004
      believe it or not I wasn't born either.....
      On Oct 9, 2004, at 5:33 PM, caladded@... wrote:

      > the last time there was a major fire (other than
      > Oakland) was
      > over 70 years ago as far as the hills west of I-280 areas like the
      > Palo Alto
      > hills and areas between 280 and Highway 1. so long ago even I wasn't
      > even born
      > :-)
      >
      > ED

      > SoCalFire-Owner@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Meadows
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 20, 2009
        opps, better post it huh?

        Special Weather Statement

        SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
        NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
        1010 PM PST MON JAN 19 2009

        CAZ034>041-044>046-051>054-059-087-088-547-548-210500-
        SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY CENTRAL COAST-
        SANTA BARBARA COUNTY CENTRAL COAST-SANTA YNEZ VALLEY-
        SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-CUYAMA VALLEY-
        SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST-VENTURA COUNTY COAST-
        LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST INCLUDING DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES-
        VENTURA COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-VENTURA COUNTY COASTAL VALLEYS-
        SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS RECREATIONAL AREA-
        SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA BARBARA COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
        VENTURA COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
        LOS ANGELES COUNTY MOUNTAINS EXCLUDING THE SANTA MONICA RANGE-
        ANTELOPE VALLEY-CATALINA ISLAND-SANTA CLARITA VALLEY-
        LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN FERNANDO VALLEY-
        LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN GABRIEL VALLEY-
        1010 PM PST MON JAN 19 2009

        ...BIG CHANGES IN THE WEATHER IN STORE FOR SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA
        BY MIDWEEK...

        THE UPPER HIGH THAT PROVIDED VERY DRY AND WARM WEATHER OVER
        SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA FOR THE PAST 10 DAYS HAS FINALLY BEGUN TO
        MOVE EASTWARD. A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IN THE EASTERN PACIFIC WILL
        MOVE SLOWLY TOWARD THE WEST COAST THROUGH WEDNESDAY...AND WILL
        LIKELY BRING THE FIRST RAIN OF THE NEW YEAR TO SOUTHWESTERN
        CALIFORNIA BEGINNING WEDNESDAY OR WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

        IT WILL BE ANOTHER WARM DAY ACROSS MOST OF THE REGION ON TUESDAY.
        AS THE UPPER TROUGH MOVING THROUGH THE PACIFIC APPROACHES THE WEST
        COAST TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...SOME SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE WILL
        BE DRAWN NORTHWARD AND BECOME ENTRAINED INTO THE SYSTEM. CLOUDS ARE
        EXPECTED TO INCREASE ACROSS THE REGION TUESDAY NIGHT AND EARLY
        WEDNESDAY. RAIN WILL SPREAD INTO THE AREA FROM THE SOUTH AND WEST ON
        WEDNESDAY.

        THERE ARE STILL SOME COMPUTER MODEL DIFFERENCES REGARDING THE TIMING
        OF THE ONSET OF THE RAIN. AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS THAT RAIN WILL
        SPREAD INTO SANTA BARBARA AND SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTIES BY LATE
        WEDNESDAY MORNING OR EARLY AFTERNOON...THEN OVERSPREAD VENTURA
        COUNTY DURING THE AFTERNOON...REACHING LOS ANGELES COUNTY BY
        EVENING. HOWEVER...ONE OF THE COMPUTER MODELS SHOWS THE RAIN BAND
        HOLDING UP ACROSS SAN LUIS OBISPO AND SANTA BARBARA COUNTIES THROUGH
        THE EVENING...AND NOT REACHING LOS ANGELES COUNTY UNTIL AT LEAST
        MIDNIGHT. THESE TIMING ISSUES WILL LIKELY BE BETTER RESOLVED AS THE
        EVENT DRAWS CLOSER.

        RAIN WILL TURN TO SHOWERS ACROSS SAN LUIS OBISPO AND SANTA BARBARA
        COUNTIES AFTER MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT...BUT NOT UNTIL THURSDAY
        MORNING ACROSS VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTY. THERE IS A CHANCE
        THAT SHOWERS COULD CONTINUE MUCH OF THE DAY...ESPECIALLY ACROSS LOS
        ANGELES COUNTY AND EASTERN VENTURA COUNTY AS MOISTURE CONTINUES TO
        WRAP AROUND THE DEPARTING UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM.

        PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES OF RAINFALL FROM THIS STORM ARE FOR ONE HALF
        TO ONE INCH IN COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...AND ONE TO TWO INCHES IN
        THE FOOTHILLS AND MOUNTAINS. IT LOOKS AS THOUGH SOUTHERLY FLOW WILL
        PROVIDE SOME DECENT OROGRAPHIC ENHANCEMENT OF THE RAINFALL...SO THE
        HIGHEST TOTALS ARE EXPECTED ON SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST FACING SLOPES
        FROM SANTA BARBARA COUNTY THROUGH LOS ANGELES COUNTY...WHERE TOTALS
        IN EXCESS OF 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.

        THERE IS A CHANCE THAT RAINFALL RATES WILL BE HIGH ENOUGH TO BRING
        A THREAT OF FLASH FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOWS IN AND AROUND THE
        RECENTLY BURNED AREAS.

        DUE TO THE SUBTROPICAL NATURE OF THE SYSTEM...SNOW LEVELS ARE
        EXPECTED TO BE RATHER HIGH...MAINLY ABOVE RESORT LEVELS FOR MUCH OF
        THE STORM.

        STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE MEDIA OUTLET FOR
        THE LATEST UPDATES ON THE STORMY WEATHER EXPECTED TO AFFECT
        SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA.

        $$
      • Mike Meadows
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
          This will be my only post on this upcoming weather event......

          Special Weather Statement

          SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
          NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
          615 AM PST WED FEB 4 2009

          CAZ034>041-044>046-051>054-059-087-088-547-548-050200-
          SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY CENTRAL COAST-
          SANTA BARBARA COUNTY CENTRAL COAST-SANTA YNEZ VALLEY-
          SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-CUYAMA VALLEY-
          SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST-VENTURA COUNTY COAST-
          LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST INCLUDING DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES-
          VENTURA COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-VENTURA COUNTY COASTAL VALLEYS-
          SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS RECREATIONAL AREA-
          SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA BARBARA COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
          VENTURA COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
          LOS ANGELES COUNTY MOUNTAINS EXCLUDING THE SANTA MONICA RANGE-
          ANTELOPE VALLEY-CATALINA ISLAND-SANTA CLARITA VALLEY-
          LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN FERNANDO VALLEY-
          LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN GABRIEL VALLEY-
          615 AM PST WED FEB 4 2009

          ...A BIG CHANGE TO A COOL AND WET WEATHER PATTERN IS IN STORE
          FOR THE SOUTHLAND...

          AFTER OVER A WEEK OF WARM AND DRY WEATHER...RAIN IS EXPECTED TO
          RETURN TO SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA THURSDAY...WITH COOL AND WET
          WEATHER LIKELY CONTINUING INTO THE WEEKEND.

          AN UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IN THE EASTERN PACIFIC WILL
          SLOWLY APPROACH THE WEST COAST THROUGH THURSDAY...AND IT WILL
          SEND A FRONTAL SYSTEM ACROSS THE REGION. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO PUSH
          INTO THE CENTRAL COAST VERY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING...WITH RAIN
          REACHING LOS ANGELES COUNTY LATE THURSDAY MORNING OR THURSDAY
          AFTERNOON. RAIN WILL TURN TO SHOWERS ON THE CENTRAL COAST LATE
          THURSDAY...BUT NOT UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT ACROSS LOS ANGELES COUNTY.
          AS COLDER AIR ALOFT WITH THE UPPER LOW PUSHES INTO THE REGION...
          INCREASING INSTABILITY WILL CAUSE A THREAT OF THUNDERSTORMS...
          ESPECIALLY THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

          SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST LOW LEVEL FLOW WILL CAUSE SOME OROGRAPHIC
          ENHANCEMENT OF THE RAINFALL ON SOUTH FACING MOUNTAIN SLOPES AND
          ADJACENT FOOTHILLS. THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAINFALL POSSIBLY
          EXCEEDING USGS ESTIMATES FOR FLASH FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOWS IN AND
          AROUND THE RECENT BURN AREAS.

          RAINFALL FROM THIS FRONTAL SYSTEM IS GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE
          FROM ONE HALF TO ONE AND A QUARTER INCHES IN COASTAL AND
          VALLEY AREAS...WITH ONE TO TWO INCHES IN THE FOOTHILLS AND MOUNTAINS.

          THE SNOW LEVEL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AROUND 7000 FEET EARLY THURSDAY
          MORNING...THEN LOWER TO AROUND 6500 FEET BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON...AND
          EVENTUALLY TO 5500 FEET THURSDAY NIGHT. WITH THESE TYPE OF SNOW
          LEVELS...SNOW ACCUMULATION IS NOT INITIALLY EXPECTED ACROSS THE
          INTERSTATE 5 CORRIDOR. HOWEVER...SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW IS LIKELY
          MAINLY ABOVE 6000 FEET...AND WINTRY DRIVING CONDITIONS SHOULD BE
          EXPECTED IN HIGHER TERRAIN.

          THE NEXT IMPULSE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS UPPER LOW WILL APPROACH THE
          CALIFORNIA COAST ON FRIDAY. ALTHOUGH THERE MAY BE SOMEWHAT OF A
          BREAK IN THE STEADY RAIN LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND EARLY FRIDAY...
          THERE STILL WILL BE ENOUGH LOW LEVEL MOISTURE TO MAINTAIN AT LEAST
          SCATTERED SHOWER ACTIVITY. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE
          AND INTENSITY FRIDAY MORNING OR EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON...THEN RAIN
          WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY NIGHT BEFORE TURNING TO SHOWERS LATE AT
          NIGHT.

          DEPENDING UPON ITS TRACK...THE SECOND IMPULSE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO
          BRING HEAVIER PRECIPITATION THAN THE FIRST SYSTEM...WITH ADDITIONAL
          FLASH FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOW CONCERNS FOR THE RECENT BURN AREAS.
          THIS SECONDARY COLD UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL LIKELY LINGER NEAR
          SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THROUGH SATURDAY...MAINTAINING SHOWERS AND
          ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH MUCH OF THE DAY. DURING THIS
          TIME...LOWER SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED...WITH SNOW POSSIBLY
          AFFECTING THE INTERSTATE 5 CORRIDOR NEAR THE GRAPEVINE.

          THE FINER DETAILS WITH THIS SECOND STORM SYSTEM ARE STILL SOMEWHAT
          UNCLEAR...BUT THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR AN ADDITIONAL ONE TO THREE
          INCHES OF RAINFALL FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY. ONCE AGAIN...SOUTH FACING
          MOUNTAIN SLOPES ARE EXPECTED TO RECEIVE HIGHEST RAINFALL TOTALS. DUE
          TO THE COLD AND UNSTABLE NATURE OF THESE WEATHER SYSTEMS...THERE
          WILL ALSO BE THE POTENTIAL FOR WATERSPOUT ACTIVITY.

          STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE MEDIA OUTLET
          FOR THE LATEST UPDATES ON THIS DEVELOPING WEATHER SITUATION.

          $$

          BRUNO/ASR
        • Michael Meadows
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
              A MAJOR CHANGE IN THE UPPER LEVEL PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON
            SUNDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH NEXT WEEK. A VERY POWERFUL WEST TO
            EAST JET STREAM SAGGING SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE PACIFIC WILL BREAK
            DOWN THE PERSISTENT RIDGE ACROSS THE WEST COAST. THIS WILL ALLOW
            A SERIES OF STORM SYSTEMS TO TRACK INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WHILE
            MAINTAINING A RICH SOURCE OF SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE.

            CONFIDENCE IS GROWING THAT SIGNIFICANT AND POSSIBLY EXCESSIVE
            RAINFALL WILL OCCUR OVER SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA FROM LATE SUNDAY
            THROUGH  MOST OF NEXT WEEK. LIGHT RAIN COULD DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHERN
            CALIFORNIA BY LATE SUNDAY...WITH INCREASING RAIN COVERAGE
            AND INTENSITY MONDAY INTO MONDAY EVENING. THIS FIRST SYSTEM IS EXPECTED
            TO BRING .50 TO 2 INCHES ACROSS MOST COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...WITH
            2 TO 4 INCHES ACROSS FOOTHILL AND MOUNTAIN AREAS. THE STATION BURN
            AREA CAN EXPECT THE HEAVIEST RAINFALL WITH THIS FIRST SYSTEM FROM MONDAY
            AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY EVENING.

            THE SECOND STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT THE REGION ON TUESDAY.
            THE THIRD AND MOST LIKELY STRONGEST STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED
            WEDNESDAY INTO EARLY THURSDAY. A COLD AND UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL CONTINUE
            TO KEEP A THREAT OF SHOWERS INTO AT LEAST FRIDAY. FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK...
            THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES IN COASTAL AND
            VALLEY AREAS...AND 8 TO 16 INCHES IN THE FOOTHILLS AND MOUNTAINS. LOCAL
            RAINFALL AMOUNTS OVER 20 INCHES WILL BE QUITE POSSIBLE ACROSS FAVORED
            SOUTH FACING COASTAL SLOPES.

            THE STRONG SOUTHERLY WINDS THAT ARE PROJECTED AT TIMES NEXT WEEK
            COULD BRING SIGNIFICANT OROGRAPHIC ENHANCEMENT OF RAINFALL ACROSS
            SOUTH FACING SLOPES. EARLY INDICATIONS ALSO SHOW THE POSSIBILITY OF
            EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS AT TIMES DURING THE WEEK. RAINFALL RATES
            BETWEEN ONE HALF INCH AND ONE INCH PER HOUR WILL BE POSSIBLE DURING
            TIMES OF HEAVIEST RAINFALL...ESPECIALLY ACROSS SOUTH FACING SLOPES.
            IF THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOP...THERE WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED
            RATES IN EXCESS OF ONE INCH PER HOUR.

            THE LARGE AMOUNT OF EXPECTED PRECIPITATION...AS WELL AS THE
            POTENTIAL FOR HIGH INTENSITY RAINFALL...WILL BRING A SIGNIFICANT
            THREAT OF FLASH FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOWS...ESPECIALLY TO THE RECENT
            BURN AREAS. AS SOILS BECOME MORE SATURATED THROUGH THE WEEK...THERE
            COULD ALSO BE AN INCREASED RISK OF URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING. IF
            THE STRONG STORM MATERIALIZES FOR THE WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY
            TIME FRAME...THERE COULD ALSO BE SOME MAIN STEM RIVER FLOODING
            CONCERNS.

            AN EXTREMELY WET PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON SUNDAY AND
            CONTINUE THROUGH NEXT WEEK. A SERIES OF VERY STRONG PACIFIC STORMS
            ARE EXPECTED TO RAKE THE REGION. RAINFALL TOTALS FROM THESE STORMS
            WILL BE EXCESSIVE...PROBABLY THE HEAVIEST RAINS TO HIT THE REGION IN
            SEVERAL YEARS. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR FAIRLY WIDESPREAD
            FLOODING...DEBRIS FLOWS...COASTAL FLOODING...STRONG WINDS...AND
            HEAVY SNOWS IN THE MOUNTAINS.

          • thomas
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
              Start building the ark. I think someone up there is angry at the world right now with all this rain on its way, earthquakes, and cold weather.

              If Police and fire scanners is your hobby then you will like my group !

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                Tom, I think this is going to be one of those El Nino thingys...5 days of it.....We may get our yearly total this week...here's hoping people don't get nuts and come through this ok...

                http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/ ScannerbuffsofAm erica/

                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                  Cloud cover over CA all day is now starting to form into a Low circulation
                  pattern, centered maybe 900 mi west of CentCA. This is not the system that's
                  been hanging around the Aleutians and promising to come to the West Coast.

                  Buckle your seatbelts, folks.

                • grams46@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                    mike425@... writes:
                    Start building the ark. I think someone up there is angry at the world right now with all this rain on its way, earthquakes, and cold weather.>
                    you might want to ask this month's charlatan, pat robertson about that.    (:
                    peace from kathy
                    support our troops; end the wars in iraq and afghanistan
                    john 3:16
                  • bbfires
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                      Christmas Day, 2003 in Devore below the Old and Grand Prix Fires. The worst of the debris flow occurred before the camera was rolling (See boulders by truck). What if it been a winding street?

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3W-wDIR-Os

                    • Fizzboy7@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 16, 2010
                        Amazing video!     All that material had to pool up somewhere, what a mess!
                        Thanks for forwarding.

                        Jason

                        In a message dated 1/15/2010 10:43:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, brentb9@... writes:

                        Christmas Day, 2003 in Devore below the Old and Grand Prix Fires. The worst of the debris flow occurred before the camera was rolling (See boulders by truck). What if it been a winding street?

                        http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=k3W-wDIR- Os

                        --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, grams46@... wrote:

                        > _mike425@... _ (mailto:mike425@ ...) writes:
                        >
                        > Start building the ark. I think someone up there is angry at the world
                        > right now with all this rain on its way, earthquakes, and cold weather.>
                        >

                        > you might want to ask this month's charlatan, pat robertson about that.
                        > (:
                        > peace from kathy
                        > support our troops; end the wars in iraq and afghanistan
                        > john 3:16

                      • newnethboy
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 16, 2010
                          We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                          Old and Grand Prix:

                          1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                          hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/LaCrescenta, which are
                          in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                          in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)

                          2. Our government officials learned a lot from the Old, Grand Prix, and
                          other incidents about debris-flow management.

                          Now let's hope that these two factors actually play out in our favor.

                          Christmas Day, 2003 in Devore below the Old and Grand Prix Fires. The worst
                          of the debris flow occurred before the camera was rolling (See boulders by
                          truck). What if it been a winding street?

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3W-wDIR-Os

                          --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, grams46@... wrote:

                          > _mike425@..._ (mailto:mike425@...) writes:
                          >
                          > Start building the ark. I think someone up there is angry at the world
                          > right now with all this rain on its way, earthquakes, and cold weather.>
                          >

                          > you might want to ask this month's charlatan, pat robertson about that.
                          > (:
                          > peace from kathy
                          > support our troops; end the wars in iraq and afghanistan
                          > john 3:16

                        • Michael Meadows
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 16, 2010
                            Frankly, with the amount of rain that's being predicted, I have a very bad feeling about this...I don't think there is any safe place around that entire Station fire area....if, IF, all these predictions come true....there will be debris and mud flows.  I'm really concerned about the mouth of Big T Canyon.. I agree that Glendale, Altadena and La Crescenta are in a bad situation. Gonna be a wait and see situation I guess. Fingers are crossed and I head that there is over 5,000 feet of Krail all over the streets up there....I drove the entire area a week ago...very barren hillsides but was impressed with the new growth around the chaparral plants and many trees...it is coming back but not nearly enough to stop any flows.....
                                 The rain coming, according to all the models, is rain we haven't seen since the late 70's or 80's when the Sepulveda Flood basin flooded and there were rescues.....Also hope there aren't any morons who decide they want to float down any of the tributaries to the LA River....by maybe Tuesday, that thing will be at flood stage with the water moving over 25 MPH....
                               OK, done, again, just wait and see......have a nice day guys and gals....
                            On Jan 16, 2010, at 6:48 AM, newnethboy wrote:

                            We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                            Old and Grand Prix:

                            1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                            hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/ LaCrescenta, which are
                            in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                            in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)

                            2. Our government officials learned a lot from the Old, Grand Prix, and
                            other incidents about debris-flow management.

                            Now let's hope that these two factors actually play out in our favor.

                            Christmas Day, 2003 in Devore below the Old and Grand Prix Fires. The worst
                            of the debris flow occurred before the camera was rolling (See boulders by
                            truck). What if it been a winding street?

                            http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=k3W-wDIR- Os

                            --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, grams46@... wrote:

                            > _mike425@... _ (mailto:mike425@ ...) writes:
                            >
                            > Start building the ark. I think someone up there is angry at the world
                            > right now with all this rain on its way, earthquakes, and cold weather.>
                            >

                            > you might want to ask this month's charlatan, pat robertson about that.
                            > (:
                            > peace from kathy
                            > support our troops; end the wars in iraq and afghanistan
                            > john 3:16

                          • William
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 17, 2010
                              The Mojave, San Diego, and Santa Margarita Rivers forecast to rise above flood stage...http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/

                              Thanks for all the info.

                              --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:

                              > Frankly, with the amount of rain that's being predicted, I have a very bad feeling about this...I don't think there is any safe place around that entire Station fire area....if, IF, all these predictions come true....there will be debris and mud flows. I'm really concerned about the mouth of Big T Canyon.. I agree that Glendale, Altadena and La Crescenta are in a bad situation. Gonna be a wait and see situation I guess. Fingers are crossed and I head that there is over 5,000 feet of Krail all over the streets up there....I drove the entire area a week ago...very barren hillsides but was impressed with the new growth around the chaparral plants and many trees...it is coming back but not nearly enough to stop any flows.....
                              > The rain coming, according to all the models, is rain we haven't seen since the late 70's or 80's when the Sepulveda Flood basin flooded and there were rescues.....Also hope there aren't any morons who decide they want to float down any of the tributaries to the LA River....by maybe Tuesday, that thing will be at flood stage with the water moving over 25 MPH....
                              > OK, done, again, just wait and see......have a nice day guys and gals....
                              > On Jan 16, 2010, at 6:48 AM, newnethboy wrote:
                              >
                              > > We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                              > > Old and Grand Prix:
                              > >
                              > > 1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                              > > hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/LaCrescenta, which are
                              > > in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                              > > in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)
                              > >
                              > > 2. Our government officials learned a lot from the Old, Grand Prix, and
                              > > other incidents about debris-flow management.
                              > >
                              > > Now let's hope that these two factors actually play out in our favor.

                            • Michael Meadows
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 17, 2010
                                Heck the LA River will also get above flood stage...guess we'll have to wait and see if it does happen....at times you hear all kind of things when weather is concerned..I have no doubt this is going to be bad.....how bad remains to be seen...
                                On Jan 17, 2010, at 3:09 PM, William wrote:

                                The Mojave, San Diego, and Santa Margarita Rivers forecast to rise above flood stage...http: //www.cnrfc. noaa.gov/

                                Thanks for all the info.

                                --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@... > wrote:

                                > Frankly, with the amount of rain that's being predicted, I have a very bad feeling about this...I don't think there is any safe place around that entire Station fire area....if, IF, all these predictions come true....there will be debris and mud flows. I'm really concerned about the mouth of Big T Canyon.. I agree that Glendale, Altadena and La Crescenta are in a bad situation. Gonna be a wait and see situation I guess. Fingers are crossed and I head that there is over 5,000 feet of Krail all over the streets up there....I drove the entire area a week ago...very barren hillsides but was impressed with the new growth around the chaparral plants and many trees...it is coming back but not nearly enough to stop any flows.....
                                > The rain coming, according to all the models, is rain we haven't seen since the late 70's or 80's when the Sepulveda Flood basin flooded and there were rescues..... Also hope there aren't any morons who decide they want to float down any of the tributaries to the LA River....by maybe Tuesday, that thing will be at flood stage with the water moving over 25 MPH....
                                > OK, done, again, just wait and see......have a nice day guys and gals....
                                > On Jan 16, 2010, at 6:48 AM, newnethboy wrote:
                                >
                                > > We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                                > > Old and Grand Prix:
                                > >
                                > > 1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                                > > hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/ LaCrescenta, which are
                                > > in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                                > > in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)
                                > >
                                > > 2. Our government officials learned a lot from the Old, Grand Prix, and
                                > > other incidents about debris-flow management.
                                > >
                                > > Now let's hope that these two factors actually play out in our favor.

                              • bbfires
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 18, 2010
                                  Santiago Creek cam in Orange County (nothing yet):
                                  http://tinyurl.com/santiago-cam

                                  Very bad feeling here, too -- and not just in the burn areas.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 18, 2010
                                    agreed and meant to say 100,000 feet of K rail instead of 5,000 feet......not just the burn areas but all over.....the last time we had rain like this, a lot of apartment houses in LA and the Hollywood area were flooded...the parking under the apartment houses was bad...FF's had to wade in and take people off the roofs of the cars...all you could see were the roofs of the cars...hundreds of them....gonna be bad all over...stay safe people.....
                                    On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:40 AM, bbfires wrote:

                                    Santiago Creek cam in Orange County (nothing yet):
                                    http://tinyurl. com/santiago- cam

                                    Very bad feeling here, too -- and not just in the burn areas.

                                    -- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, "William" <energ92345@ ...> wrote:

                                    > The Mojave, San Diego, and Santa Margarita Rivers forecast to rise above flood stage...http: //www.cnrfc. noaa.gov/
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for all the info.
                                    >
                                    > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Frankly, with the amount of rain that's being predicted, I have a very bad feeling about this...I don't think there is any safe place around that entire Station fire area....if, IF, all these predictions come true....there will be debris and mud flows. I'm really concerned about the mouth of Big T Canyon.. I agree that Glendale, Altadena and La Crescenta are in a bad situation. Gonna be a wait and see situation I guess. Fingers are crossed and I head that there is over 5,000 feet of Krail all over the streets up there....I drove the entire area a week ago...very barren hillsides but was impressed with the new growth around the chaparral plants and many trees...it is coming back but not nearly enough to stop any flows.....
                                    > > The rain coming, according to all the models, is rain we haven't seen since the late 70's or 80's when the Sepulveda Flood basin flooded and there were rescues..... Also hope there aren't any morons who decide they want to float down any of the tributaries to the LA River....by maybe Tuesday, that thing will be at flood stage with the water moving over 25 MPH....
                                    > > OK, done, again, just wait and see......have a nice day guys and gals....
                                    > > On Jan 16, 2010, at 6:48 AM, newnethboy wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                                    > > > Old and Grand Prix:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > 1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                                    > > > hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/ LaCrescenta, which are
                                    > > > in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                                    > > > in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)

                                  • Kim Noyes
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 18, 2010
                                      .....and Wednesday will be much worse.

                                      On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Michael Meadows <mike425@...> wrote:

                                      agreed and meant to say 100,000 feet of K rail instead of 5,000 feet......not just the burn areas but all over.....the last time we had rain like this, a lot of apartment houses in LA and the Hollywood area were flooded...the parking under the apartment houses was bad...FF's had to wade in and take people off the roofs of the cars...all you could see were the roofs of the cars...hundreds of them....gonna be bad all over...stay safe people.....

                                      On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:40 AM, bbfires wrote:

                                      Santiago Creek cam in Orange County (nothing yet):
                                      http://tinyurl.com/santiago-cam

                                      Very bad feeling here, too -- and not just in the burn areas.

                                      -- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "William" <energ92345@...> wrote:

                                      > The Mojave, San Diego, and Santa Margarita Rivers forecast to rise above flood stage...http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for all the info.
                                      >
                                      > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Frankly, with the amount of rain that's being predicted, I have a very bad feeling about this...I don't think there is any safe place around that entire Station fire area....if, IF, all these predictions come true....there will be debris and mud flows. I'm really concerned about the mouth of Big T Canyon.. I agree that Glendale, Altadena and La Crescenta are in a bad situation. Gonna be a wait and see situation I guess. Fingers are crossed and I head that there is over 5,000 feet of Krail all over the streets up there....I drove the entire area a week ago...very barren hillsides but was impressed with the new growth around the chaparral plants and many trees...it is coming back but not nearly enough to stop any flows.....
                                      > > The rain coming, according to all the models, is rain we haven't seen since the late 70's or 80's when the Sepulveda Flood basin flooded and there were rescues.....Also hope there aren't any morons who decide they want to float down any of the tributaries to the LA River....by maybe Tuesday, that thing will be at flood stage with the water moving over 25 MPH....
                                      > > OK, done, again, just wait and see......have a nice day guys and gals....
                                      > > On Jan 16, 2010, at 6:48 AM, newnethboy wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                                      > > > Old and Grand Prix:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > 1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                                      > > > hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/LaCrescenta, which are
                                      > > > in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                                      > > > in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)

                                    • Craig
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 18, 2010
                                        Wednesday night into Thursday suppose to be the heaviest rain in over ten years.

                                        Sent from BlackBerry device

                                        From: Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...>
                                        Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:36:43 -0800
                                        To: <SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com>
                                        Subject: Re: [SoCalFire] Re: weather

                                        On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Michael Meadows <mike425@sbcglobal. net> wrote:

                                        agreed and meant to say 100,000 feet of K rail instead of 5,000 feet......not just the burn areas but all over.....the last time we had rain like this, a lot of apartment houses in LA and the Hollywood area were flooded...the parking under the apartment houses was bad...FF's had to wade in and take people off the roofs of the cars...all you could see were the roofs of the cars...hundreds of them....gonna be bad all over...stay safe people.....

                                        On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:40 AM, bbfires wrote:

                                        Santiago Creek cam in Orange County (nothing yet):
                                        http://tinyurl. com/santiago- cam

                                        Very bad feeling here, too -- and not just in the burn areas.

                                        -- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, "William" <energ92345@. ..> wrote:

                                        > The Mojave, San Diego, and Santa Margarita Rivers forecast to rise above flood stage...http: //www.cnrfc. noaa.gov/
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for all the info.
                                        >
                                        > --- In SoCalFire@yahoogrou ps.com, Michael Meadows <mike425@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Frankly, with the amount of rain that's being predicted, I have a very bad feeling about this...I don't think there is any safe place around that entire Station fire area....if, IF, all these predictions come true....there will be debris and mud flows. I'm really concerned about the mouth of Big T Canyon.. I agree that Glendale, Altadena and La Crescenta are in a bad situation. Gonna be a wait and see situation I guess. Fingers are crossed and I head that there is over 5,000 feet of Krail all over the streets up there....I drove the entire area a week ago...very barren hillsides but was impressed with the new growth around the chaparral plants and many trees...it is coming back but not nearly enough to stop any flows.....
                                        > > The rain coming, according to all the models, is rain we haven't seen since the late 70's or 80's when the Sepulveda Flood basin flooded and there were rescues..... Also hope there aren't any morons who decide they want to float down any of the tributaries to the LA River....by maybe Tuesday, that thing will be at flood stage with the water moving over 25 MPH....
                                        > > OK, done, again, just wait and see......have a nice day guys and gals....
                                        > > On Jan 16, 2010, at 6:48 AM, newnethboy wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > We've got two factors in our favor re the Station Fire, as opposed to the
                                        > > > Old and Grand Prix:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > 1. In most places the burn is separated from populated area by at least one
                                        > > > hill/ridge (notable exception being LaCañada/Glendale/ LaCrescenta, which are
                                        > > > in grave danger, and also Tujunga). (I'm more concerned about water quality
                                        > > > in the Cogswell Reservoir, since I believe the fire surrounded it.)

                                      • Brian
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 2, 2010
                                          Local CAL FIRE aircraft flying on Saturday in Southern California.
                                          Looking at my aircraft alert email logs for Saturday.

                                          N409DF (hexcode: A4CE61)- AATK330 @ 3:57pm - Altitude: 1900-2400
                                          <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N409DF>

                                          N429DF (hexcode: A51D5F)- AA310 @ 1:29pm - Altitude 5200-5600
                                          <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N429DF>

                                          N437DF (hexcode: A53D70)- Tanker 73 @ 1:35pm - Altitude: 4700-3900
                                          <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N437DF>

                                          N435DF (hexcode: A53602)- Tanker 72 @ 2:03pm - Altitude: 14525
                                          <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N435DF>

                                          -Brian
                                          San Diego County
                                        • Mark Bonney
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 2, 2010
                                            I logged a this guy on my radarbox yesterday as well:

                                            AE1162 MAFFS4 02-1464 C30J USA - Air Force 2010/05/01 10:47:03

                                            Must be an air ops convention......

                                            On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Brian <mtnbiker2005news@...> wrote:

                                            Local CAL FIRE aircraft flying on Saturday in Southern California.
                                            Looking at my aircraft alert email logs for Saturday.

                                            N409DF (hexcode: A4CE61)- AATK330 @ 3:57pm - Altitude: 1900-2400
                                            <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N409DF>

                                            N429DF (hexcode: A51D5F)- AA310 @ 1:29pm - Altitude 5200-5600
                                            <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N429DF>

                                            N437DF (hexcode: A53D70)- Tanker 73 @ 1:35pm - Altitude: 4700-3900
                                            <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N437DF>

                                            N435DF (hexcode: A53602)- Tanker 72 @ 2:03pm - Altitude: 14525
                                            <http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N435DF>

                                            -Brian
                                            San Diego County

                                          • John Gleichweit PDA
                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 2, 2010
                                              That aircraft also runs regular cargo when it's not fire season, but its main mission is MAFFS.

                                              John Gleichweit, N6FOG, CA-OES 51-507

                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 2, 2010
                                                Little birdie told me where to look :)

                                                Found it on this page.
                                                1100am - Tanker 910 and C-130 Fire Attack Air Water Drops
                                                <http://www.marchfieldairfest.com/general-information/schedule/>

                                                Some photos on this forum topic! But it was TANKER 911 not 910 ;)
                                                United States - California - Thunder Over The Empire 2010 - March ARB, Riverside - 05/01/10
                                                <http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php/topic,19940.0.html>

                                                From: Mark Bonney
                                                Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 07:45:31 -0700
                                                To: SoCalFire

                                              • keestrokes@cox.net
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 2, 2010
                                                  March air show is this weekend. CALFIRE is not involved. Ramona and Hemet fixed wing are back on duty. First couple of days are spent with proficiency flying .

                                                  Just fate that CALFIRE and March aircraft are flying the same days.