Hi, new member

  • Floyd Blue
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hello,
      Just joined up and look forward to finding out how other SoCal people
      are doing.
      I have at this time this imaging setup.

      Losmandy G-11 with Gemini mount.
      Modified with Ovision worm and block RA and Mclennan precision
      gearboxes on RA and DEC. Plans include a new DEC Ovision block when
      they come out.

      TV NP101 with TV .8x focal reducer

      WO Megrez 80mm f/6 APO Triplet with TV .8x focal reducer

      ST80mm guide scope with DSI Pro camera

      SBig ST2000xm
      Astrodon Gen 2 RGBL filters and CFW-9 filter wheel with extra carousel
      for the Narrow Band filters.
      Atronomik Narrow Band filters, but new set of Baader are on order.

      I am in Bakersfield, Ca and belong to LAAS and am a Star Member with a
      permanent pier at their site in Lockwood Valley.
      I go there every month, weather permitting, and have a new motor home
      for comfort while there. Wife needed a little more than the camping
      trailer. :^) I sometimes go up during the week too, depending on
      weather and the Moon.
      Retired and this is my main hobby at this time.
      Floyd
    • dannysperry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
        Hi Floyd,

        I've seen many of your posts and great images in some of the other
        groups. Glad to see you here. Every once in a while I get out to my
        Dad's place, which is in Bear Valley Springs about 30 miles east of
        Bakersfield near Tehachapi.

        Since you go to Lockwood a lot, do you ever go up the mountain to
        Pinos? This last summer I went up there after not being there for
        about 8 years. It was good to see that the parking lot still gets
        packed and the skies are still dark.

        I hope to be getting a travel trailer at some point this year and
        making more trips out to places like Red Cloud Road and the Mojave
        Preserve. It should also allow me to make trips to places like Pinos
        earlier in the Spring and later in the Fall.

        Best,
        Danny

        --- In SoCalAstroPhoto@yahoogroups.com, "Floyd Blue" <fblue@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        > Just joined up and look forward to finding out how other SoCal
        people
        > are doing.
        > I have at this time this imaging setup.
        >
        > Losmandy G-11 with Gemini mount.
        > Modified with Ovision worm and block RA and Mclennan precision
        > gearboxes on RA and DEC. Plans include a new DEC Ovision block when
        > they come out.
        >
        > TV NP101 with TV .8x focal reducer
        >
        > WO Megrez 80mm f/6 APO Triplet with TV .8x focal reducer
        >
        > ST80mm guide scope with DSI Pro camera
        >
        > SBig ST2000xm
        > Astrodon Gen 2 RGBL filters and CFW-9 filter wheel with extra
        carousel
        > for the Narrow Band filters.
        > Atronomik Narrow Band filters, but new set of Baader are on order.
        >
        > I am in Bakersfield, Ca and belong to LAAS and am a Star Member
        with a
        > permanent pier at their site in Lockwood Valley.
        > I go there every month, weather permitting, and have a new motor
        home
        > for comfort while there. Wife needed a little more than the camping
        > trailer. :^) I sometimes go up during the week too, depending on
        > weather and the Moon.
        > Retired and this is my main hobby at this time.
        > Floyd

      • Floyd Blue
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
          Hi Danny,
          I do go up to Lockwood quite a lot. Because I have the keys to the
          place, I can go when ever I wish. So I get up there on nights other
          than the Star Party weekends too. The pier that I have there saves a
          little time for setup and tear down, so I like going there. Plus
          having AC power at the pier makes it really nice, no batteries to
          worry about. The site is not quite as dark as Pinos, but it has no
          traffic and there is a much bigger horizon there. I can get good
          images there and a lot of time on target.

          Yes, I have been up to Pinos many times. I do not go so much anymore
          due to the amount of night traffic and the problems it creates for
          imaging. However, during the week, it is still pretty isolated, with
          much less traffic.

          I know where Bear Valley Spring is, my dad had one of the original
          lots offered, but he never built a home there.

          I have been to Red Rock, Fossil Falls and up near Lone Pine in the
          desert, but not Red Cloud Road. Is it a good spot with good seeing and
          dark skies?