Weathering question

  • LARRY KLOSE
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 24, 2013
      I'm building a caboose model and I want to wash it with dilute India Ink to
      bring up the board joints and wiping the surface so not too much ink
      remains. I tried this on a sample that had been sprayed with flat clear and
      too much of the ink stayed on the boards. Should I do this before I seal
      the decals with flat clear or ??? Will the decals lift if I do it pre clear
      coat?

      Paint is PBL Star Brand with plenty of retarder so it's semi gloss.

      Suggestions? I have to do this right because it's a plastic kit with a lot
      of detail and changes so stripping and repainting isn't an option if I screw
      it up.

      On or off list is fine. Thanks,

      Larry
    • sagenut3

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 24, 2013
          Be careful with turpentine on plastic.

          Vinny
        • rhelmod18
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 25, 2013
            PBL in their notes on the K-27 specifically says not to use solvent based paints, glue or weathering on plastic as it will soften and ruin the plastic. This would apply to most anything that is plastic that PBL has produced.

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 26, 2013
                Larry:

                You should be able to strip the paint from a plastic model by soaking it in hydraulic fluid.

                Pete
              • John Mckenzie
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 27, 2013

                  Hi Guys,
                  Hey I've got a little of this and a little of that in my passenger car roster and I'm trying to see if I can get like cars with like cars for my planned passenger car train movements.  First I'm looking for latest run PBL RPO in Pullman Green and I've got a matched set of the first run PBL Chili line cars, an RPO#61 and coach #320 I'm willing to trade with maybe a little something to go along with a that trade.  And I've got two latest run PBL passenger cars in MOW red RGS cars #252 and #021( the Rico) for sale or in trade for the PBL latest run RPO and items to be named later?

                  Please answer inquiry off line to my email address, captmacrgs40@...   Thanks, John McKenzie
                • Jake
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                    Larry,

                    You should consider Vallejo acrylics for your wash. It's great stuff.

                    Jake Johnson
                  • LARRY KLOSE
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                      Thanks, Jake,

                      Even better, I bought a few of the Vallejo colors recently but haven't tried them.  Would you suggest applying them to a flat undercoat or semi-gloss?  I tried the India ink method on a flat lacquer coated model I'm about to refinish and the ink stained the flat portions as much as the cracks between the boards.  Not so good... .  Also, do you think I should use this first or after I do some of the other weathering--dust, dirt, paint damage, etc.?

                      Larry

                      You should consider Vallejo acrylics for your wash. It's great stuff.

                      Jake Johnson

                    • Mark Evans
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                        Larry,

                        I just finished up one of the new PBL 6200 series flat car kits. I used Vallejo paints to match the pre-painted sides. I also used the Vallejo paints to weather the models. I've also got a new string of 10 stock cars all painted with Vallejo. I'm documenting the painting process and will have a couple of new pages on my website.

                        Here's a preview

                        Mark L. Evans MMR

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 2, 2013

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 2, 2013

                            I'm interested in your PBL passenger cars if they havent already sold but don't know how to contact you off list.  I can be reached at sfrediani at ancra dot com.

                            thanks

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 2, 2013
                              >I'm interested in your PBL passenger cars

                              Speaking of passenger cars in Sn3, I have always been wondering what
                              modelers who are reluctant to invest in expensive brass imports are
                              operating on their layouts, apart from V&T Shops resine kits or Tomalco
                              (to be almost scratchbuilt) ones. (I, for one, have built two of each over
                              the past 25 years).
                              Otherwise, are there inexpensive passenger cars in other scales that could
                              be easily - and re-a-lis-ti-cal-ly - converted to Sn3?

                              Alex
                            • John Mckenzie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 2, 2013
                                Alex, I've got others in line ahead of you, thank you for your interest if they should for some reason not work out I'll contact you. John McKenzie

                                >I'm interested in your PBL passenger cars

                                Speaking of passenger cars in Sn3, I have always been wondering what
                                modelers who are reluctant to invest in expensive brass imports are
                                operating on their layouts, apart from V&T Shops resine kits or Tomalco
                                (to be almost scratchbuilt) ones. (I, for one, have built two of each over
                                the past 25 years).
                                Otherwise, are there inexpensive passenger cars in other scales that could
                                be easily - and re-a-lis-ti-cal-ly - converted to Sn3?

                                Alex
                              • David Heine
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 2, 2013
                                  I have some passenger cars I built some years ago from Star Models resin kits and Tomalco detail parts. I never converted a passenger car from another scale although I have done some freight cars, but that was back in the previous century.

                                  Dave Heine
                                  Easton, PA

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 3, 2013
                                    Hello Guys,
                                    I see this thread on DRGW passenger cars. I have 3 of the latest run cars on my layout. They are not weathered and in perfect condition.
                                    I have recently decided to change direction in my modeling as I have modeled DRGW or RGS for 40 years and as I approach retirement, and a possible house move, I am considering selling all my DRGW equipment, structures and kits. Basing keeping only the track-work on my layout as I plan on moving the layout into another house and will built something more free lance as I want to have a harbour scene and some logging equipment.

                                    I have the following that I will list in the near future:
                                    • 6 P-B-L locomotives all have Tsunami sound
                                    • 3 DRGW open Vesibule passenger cars as mentioned above. Green paint scheme
                                    • Completed Structures include: Chama Depot, Crystal River Chama double spout water tank, Chama oil house, P-B-L coaling tower (painted brown), Crystal River Stock Pens
                                    • Several DRGW P-B-L stock Cars – all lightly  weathered – most are 1930’s with the round logo
                                    • Several DGW P-B-L box Cars – all lightly weathered – most are 1930’s with the round logo
                                    • 6 GRAMPS tanks Cars – built from kits. All are weathered
                                    • Short Caboose - built from P-B-L kit  - This car has interior but the roof is glued on. I entered it in the contest room at the NG convention two years ago
                                    • Long Caboose – built from P-B-L kit – no interior
                                    • I have two Diamond Scale 65’ Turntables. One is installed and operational on the layout, the other is in unassembled. I will probably sell both as they will not fit into my new theme.
                                    • A large number of un-built new in box structures including Raggs Hukil Mine.
                                    • I have other items such as figures and such, but may need to retian some of them
                                    Contact me at k27461@... if there is any interest as I will be posting a list with prices to the group in the near future.
                                    Regards,
                                    Keith Stamper
                                  • Danny Cryer
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013
                                      Keith......I would be interested in a couple of Stock cars & Box cars + Short Caboose.......Let me know how much I owe you. I'll send you a check. Your choice on car #'s......makes no difference to me.
                                      THANKS,
                                      Danny