Stephen Smelser

  • Cindy Dickinson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2000
      Robin, I have forwarded your note re:Stephen Smelser to Tami as she is not
      on the list yet. If she wants, I'll sign her up so we can all discuss
      Stephen (or some of us just watch), but it will be good to learn more about
      Stephen.

      Cindy Dickinson
    • Rabinski37@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2000
        Thanks Cindy.
      • Cindy Dickinson
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2001
          Also, I forgot to ask, has anyone found a will or probate record for
          Stephen?

          Thanks, Cindy
        • altasmelser
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2002
            I am researching the Smelser family also. I believe my James B.
            Smelser is the son of Stephen and Tabitha. James B. had a son also
            James B., James B. (#2) had a son John Bell Smelser. He is my great-
            grandfather. I have heard that Stephen had 8 children. Is this so,
            and who are they? I know of James B. about 1805 and John 1799. James
            B.2 was born 1829 and his son John Bell 9/19/1859.I have some
            information if anyone is interested. Thank you for any help you can
            give me. Barb
          • Joe R Tucker
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2002
              Hi Barb, Sorry I can't help you. All I have is that Stephen married Tabby
              Brown before 1744. My line is down from Paulser Smelser II. If you have more
              information than what I have below, I would appreciate getting it from you.
              Joe kn5w@...

              Descendants of Paulser Smelser I

              1 Paulser Smelser, l b: Abt. 1720 in Virginia d: Aft. 1777 in Bedford Co,
              Virginia
              .. +Catherine d: Aft. 1777
              .. 2 Mary Smelser b: Aft. 1744 d: Deceased
              .. 2 Rebeccah Smelser b: Aft. 1744 d: Deceased
              ...... +Richard Gross d: Deceased
              .. 2 John Smelser b: Abt. 1757 d: Abt. 1841
              ...... +Mary (Hornberger or Bowles) d: Unknown
              ...... 3 Paulser Smelser
              .......... +Mathilda Robertson
              .. 2 Elizabeth Smelser b: September 1760 in Virginia d: Aft. 1856
              ...... +James Pearcy b: May 04, 1763 in Bedford county, Virginia
              ...... 3 William Pearcy b: Abt. 1790 in Virginia d: Deceased
              .......... +Senah b: Abt. 1792 in Virginia d: Deceased
              ...... 3 Polly Pearcy b: Abt. 1803 d: Deceased
              .......... +Lorenzo D. Kinnetzer d: Deceased
              ...... 3 Matilda Pearcy
              ...... 3 Elizabeth Pearcy
              .. 2 Paulser Smelser, ll b: Abt. 1766 in Mercer County, Kentucky d: 1835
              in Calloway Co, Kentucky
              ...... +Mary Gordon b: Abt. 1773 in Ky d: Deceased in Calloway Co,
              Kentucky
              ...... 3 Mary Smelser b: Abt. 1794 d: Deceased
              ...... 3 Catherine Smelser b: Abt. 1795 d: Deceased
              .......... +Amasa Spencer d: Deceased
              ...... 3 Obadiah Smelser b: Abt. 1796 d: Deceased
              .......... +Nancy Owings d: Deceased
              ...... 3 William G Smelser b: 1798 in Kentucky d: Bef. 1870 in Green Co,
              Arkansas
              .......... +Mary Thompson b: 1802 in North Carolina d: Aft. 1870
              ...... 3 Abraham Smelser b: 1805 in Tennessee or Kentucky d: 1863 in Died
              from smallpox in Greene Co, Arkansas
              .......... +Judith Howard
              ...... *2nd Wife of Abraham Smelser:
              .......... +Nancy Thompson b: 1814 in North Carolina d: 1863 in Died from
              smallpox in Greene Co, Arkansas
              ...... 3 William Stephen Smelser b: Abt. 1806 in Kentucky d: Abt. 1875 in
              Doniphan, Ripley County, Missouri
              .......... +Elizabeth Greathouse b: Abt. 1810 in Kentucky d: Abt. 1862 in
              Ripley County, Missouri
              ...... *2nd Wife of William Stephen Smelser:
              .......... +Eliza Jane Myers b: Abt. 1845 in Arkansas d: Abt. 1917 in
              Lawrence Co, Arkansas
              ...... 3 Amasa Smelser b: Abt. 1807 d: Deceased
              .......... +Henry Harlan Martin d: Deceased
              ...... 3 Rebecca Smelser b: 1812 in Kentucky d: Aft. 1880 in Green Co,
              Arkansas
              .......... +Phillip Andrews b: Abt. 1805 in Kentucky d: Abt. 1865 in Greene
              Co, Arkansas
              .. 2 Stephen Smelser b: Abt. 1770 d: Deceased
              ...... +Tabby Brown b: Abt. 1770 d: Deceased
              .. 2 Abraham Smelser b: Abt. 1772 d: Bef. December 01, 1880 in Bedford
              Co., Va
              ...... +Sally Smith
              ...... 3 Sina Anne Smelser
              .......... +John Coffindaffer
              ...... 3 Elizabeth Smelser
              .......... +Unknown Fisher
              ...... 3 Pamelia Smelser
              .......... +Unknown Robertson
              ...... 3 Julia Smelser
              .......... +Unknown Bates
              ...... 3 Tamsey Smelser
              .......... +Unknown McCoy
              ...... 3 Nancy Smelser
              .......... +Unknown Thomas
              ...... 3 Henry Smelser
              ...... 3 Abram Smelser
              ...... 3 Jesse Smelser
              ...... 3 Polser Smelser
              .. 2 Jesse Smelser b: Abt. 1777 d: Deceased

              > I am researching the Smelser family also. I believe my James B.
              > Smelser is the son of Stephen and Tabitha. James B. had a son also
              > James B., James B. (#2) had a son John Bell Smelser. He is my great-
              > grandfather. I have heard that Stephen had 8 children. Is this so,
              > and who are they? I know of James B. about 1805 and John 1799. James
              > B.2 was born 1829 and his son John Bell 9/19/1859.I have some
              > information if anyone is interested. Thank you for any help you can
              > give me. Barb
              >

              > Smelser Homepage:
              http://www.angelfire.com/ar/genealog/Smelser/Smelser.html

            • Cindy Dickinson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2002
                Barb, is Stephen and Tabitha the same as Stephen Smelser and Tabby Brown? I
                don't have a lot on this Stephen, but will send what I have, which is
                probably on our website. [below] I haven't traced him any further.

                Robin, do you have any other info on Stephen?

                Cindy

                Notes on Stephen Smelser:
                Stephen Smelser was born between 1765 and 1784 (based on 1810 census) to
                Paulser Smelser I and his wife Catherine.

                He was in his father's will dated 7 Dec 1777 Bedford Co., VA, Stephen was
                to receive:
                "...to my beloved sons Steven Smelser and Paulser Smelser a piece of land of
                two hundred and twenty five acres it being the tract I now live on a line
                being equitably run a ____ the land the lower part being one hundred twelve
                acres and half and joining John Pearcy to belong to Steven Smelser..."
                "...that my son Steven give unto my son Abraham to make Abraham part
                equal..."

                It is believed Stephen was one of the oldest son of Paulser and Catherine as
                he is listed in the 1787 Bedford Co., VA Personal Property Tax list:

                Bedford Co., VA, Personal Property Tax Lists: 16 Apr 1787
                Smelser, Stephen 1 0 0 3 0 (not tithable, prob. 16-21 yrs)

                (1806-1810 Stephen Smelser appears on tax list of Christian Co., KY--Robin
                Smith)

                1810 Christian Co., KY
                Smelser, Stephen
                2 m -10 b.1800-1810
                2 m 10-16 b.1794-1800
                1 m 26-45 b. 1765-1784
                1 f -10 b.1800-1810
                1 f 10-16 b.1794-1800
                1 f 26-43 b. 1765-1784
              • altasmelser
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2002
                  Thank you for the reply. Yes that was the correct Stephen Smelser. He
                  married Tabitha Brown.According to the Bedford County marrriage
                  records her father's name was James Brown. I have Stephen and Tabitha
                  as my 4th great granparents. My grandmother was Alta Lela Smelser,
                  her father was John Bell Smelser, his father was James B. Smelser 2,
                  his father was James B. Smelser 1 and his father was Stephen.I have
                  information on James B. Smelser's brother John, who married Leatha
                  McCoy and their 7 children. But James B. 1 that married Lucinda
                  (unknown)has been difficult to track. I have him in the 1850
                  Robertson County, Tenn cenus and in 1860 he was in Pike County, Mo.
                  That is the last I have found of him.

                  Please let me know if there is any information that I might have,
                  that you or anyone could use. Thank you for your help. Barb
                • Rabinski37@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Betsy:  I would be interested in anything you have on Stephen H. Smelser's family.  It's exciting to actually have someone working on my side of the Smelser's for a change.  Paulser Jr. and Abraham's sides have been worked on extensively but not John's side.  If you are interested in Stephen's siblings or need further information on his parents let me know.  Most of what I have on John Smelser, I gave to Cindy and I believe she has it posted on the Smelser website (my browser won't open it up so hopefully it's all there).

                    Robin
                  • Betsy Tabac
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
                      Robin,

                      I have all the info on Stephen and his descendants in Family Tree Maker. I will figure out how to send it to you. My information covers the 1850 - 1930 period most intensively.

                      So we are distant, distant cousins? Nice to meet you.

                      Betsy

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
                        Robin, I checked the Smelser website and found a home page and a list of Smelser descendants from Paulser I plus afew links, nothing specifically related to John. Am I missing something?

                        Betsy

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2004
                          Betsy:  I don't have the software Family Tree Maker but if you can print out what you have or somehow put it in an email as an attachment (or imbed it in the email itself), that would be great.  Thanks so much.  It's exciting to get new information on Joshua's siblings.

                          P.S. to Cindy:  Thanks so much for still running this Smelser group!

                          Robin
                        • Betsy Tabac
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 6, 2004

                            Robin,

                            I am attempting to send a genealogy report on Stephen H. Smelser. It is attached. Hope you can receive it.

                            Betsy