where to mount the coupler

  • gregory helman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
      hello ,

      i just joined this group and planning on buying a sgc coupler.i
      haven't made my mind up yet which one. now on these couplers, if i put
      an inverted vee or or horizontal. where how do you mount these ,
      because of the weight of it and it must be mounted near the feed point.
      they say not to use coax from antenna to coupler.any suggestions.
    • QRP_1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
        because of the weight of it and it must be mounted near the feed point.
        they say not to use coax from antenna to coupler.any suggestions.[snip]

        Mount the tuner at the feedpoint of the antenna - antenna is connected
        direct to the tuner, then run coax from the tuner to the radio.

        Rick McKee - KC8AON - Southern Ohio
        http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp
        http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp/forsale.html
        With God all things are possible <><
      • Jim Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
          i have a dipole up about 50ft. i use 450 windowline to drop straight down to
          an arrestor mounted on a ground rod and the tuner is mounted there as well.

          both are covered by a plastic bin upside down.

          buried coax goes from there to the house.

          73

          jim ab3cv
        • Dale Blanchard
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
            gregory helman wrote:

            > hello ,
            >
            > i just joined this group and planning on buying a sgc coupler.i
            > haven't made my mind up yet which one. now on these couplers, if i put
            > an inverted vee or or horizontal. where how do you mount these ,
            > because of the weight of it and it must be mounted near the feed point.
            > they say not to use coax from antenna to coupler.any suggestions.

            If you download the SGC 237 manual from the SGC web site
            you will fine all kinds of antenna installations and ideas.
            All done with pictures.
            You mount the tuner at the apex of the inverted V and feed it with coax.
            If you really need a tuner in the shack the MAC 200 will do.
            I use the Mac-200 in the shack and a 237 in my truck.
            A 237 on a mast with a Inverted V will tune every thing you need.
            WA7IXK
            Dale
          • wb5hze
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
              If the feedpoint of your antenna is "hanging" (not at a mast or tower)
              then you should use a run of twinlead from the feedpoint to the coupler
              (mounted somewhere below the antenna)- keep the run as short as
              possible. There are some caveats associated with this approach. Look
              in recent messages about a loop installation for discussion regarding
              feedline length.

              73 . . . Ron W5HZE

              --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "gregory helman" <turkee56@...>