OCD and the 239

  • k5hal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      What does everyone think of using the SGC239, or any autotuner, to
      match the off center fed dipole? Right now I plan to put 45 ft on one
      connection, and 90 ft on the other one. Which side of the tuner should
      go to which?
      Regards cullen K5HAL
    • David H Hatch
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        Hi Cullen,

        Your little Smartuner will happily work that dipole from 3.3 MHz and above
        with the RF-Hot side being the 40 foot side.

        Should you want to work below 3.3 MHz, the manual tells us that coupler
        requires the RF-Hot side to be 100 feet long with the RF-Ground side some
        10% longer.

        The antenna requirements are on page 5 of the manual.

        Will you feed the dipole with ladder line, or hang it directly at the dipole
        center? Either way will work. If at the center, you will want to create a
        waterproof case for that unit, which many folks do with a Rubbermaid food
        container.

        Thins page may help you. Some of the links are now bad, since SGC changed
        their website. Some day I update the page...

        http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/SG-239/

        Dave
      • cullenl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2006
          In a message dated 6/2/2006 11:42:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, n9zrt@... writes:
          Will you feed the dipole with ladder line, or hang it directly at the dipole
          center? Either way will work. If at the center, you will want to create a
          waterproof case for that unit, which many folks do with a Rubbermaid food
          container.
          Dave,
              I put the tuner on the mast at the center. It is installed in the waterproof divers box someone suggested some time ago. Hose clamps tie the handle to a short piece of PVC pipe and the tuner and dipole slide up the mast like an elevator snd lifted with a rope. This makes a quick and handy portable system. Installing only the mask is easier than raising a full system at one time. At the moment it has a 40 ft "hot" side and a 45 ft "cold" side and I am looking for better antenna performance.

          Regards and 73, cullen K5HAL
        • David H. Hatch
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2006

            Sounds great, Cullen!