SGC Power Isolator

  • John Gianotti
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      RE the SGC Power Isolator. Can one use these with the SMARTLOCK? I.E. how
      does one lock and unlock the SGC tuner via Smartlock if one is using the
      Power Isolator? TNX in advance for the info.
    • ve2lx
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
        Fron the note of Jim KE4IZA
        Is there some one can explain to me how that unit works to permit the use of
        coaxial line only ( no control wires ) for log run feeder......?
        Is there a picture somewhere ( no picture at SGC ?) it would much easier to
        understand how it works
        Gilles ve2lx
        ve2lx@...

        =============

        > Both isolators are exactly the same unit. They are both 100%
        > waterproof according to SGC. They come with 4 pin mic connectors for
        > you can make your own cables. I got mine from Universal Radio in
        > Ohio. $92.95 + $6.95 shipping. SGC and HRO both want $159.95 for the
        > pair. Even at $159.95 they are still worth it and I would have paid
        > it give no other option.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Jim - ke4iza
      • radioke4iza
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "John Gianotti" <w9wy@...> wrote:

          > RE the SGC Power Isolator. Can one use these with the SMARTLOCK?
          I.E. how
          > does one lock and unlock the SGC tuner via Smartlock if one is using the
          > Power Isolator? TNX in advance for the info.

          John

          In short, you dont. If you have a Smartlock you will need
          the control cable so far as I know. All I need is power to the tuner
          as it will run unattended and automatic.

          73

          Jim - ke4iza
        • bprats@telis.org
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006

            At the present configuration, only DC passes through the DC coupler but no one is to say it could not be tone modulated to control other remote devices.    For now, the Smartlock has to be on its own conductor but it is not necessary for a fixed installation.  I jumpered the option to NOT use memories so my tuner retunes each time.  If a full RESET is needed, just interrupt the DC power in the shack for a few seconds.

            Bill k6acj

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
              Finally got the cables made for my new SGC dc isolators. The test
              worked fine. I can out send rf to the antenna and 12vdc to the tuner
              using a single 100' coax. I highly recommend them.

              73

              Jim
            • 5B4AGV, Ed
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2006
                Gilles,

                Check this link and read Phil's excellent article

                Remote DC Power Through your Coax, QST 7/2004

                www.remote.arrl.org/qst/2004/07/salas.pdf

                73, 5B4AGV/HB9MTN, Ed

                --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "ve2lx" <ve2lx@...> wrote:

                > Fron the note of Jim KE4IZA
                > Is there some one can explain to me how that unit works to permit
                the use of
                > coaxial line only ( no control wires ) for log run feeder......?
                > Is there a picture somewhere ( no picture at SGC ?) it would much
                easier to
                > understand how it works
                > Gilles ve2lx
                > ve2lx@...
              • radioke4iza
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                  www.remote.arrl.org/qst/2004/07/salas.pdf will not load.
                  There is a photo of the isolators in the photo section under
                  Miscellaneous.

                  73

                  Jim - ke4iza

                  --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "5B4AGV, Ed" <hb9mtn@...> wrote:

                  > Gilles,
                  >
                  > Check this link and read Phil's excellent article
                  >
                  > Remote DC Power Through your Coax, QST 7/2004
                  >
                  > www.remote.arrl.org/qst/2004/07/salas.pdf
                  >
                  > 73, 5B4AGV/HB9MTN, Ed
                • David H Hatch
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Hi Jim,

                    It's loading fine for me. Try this...

                    http://www.remote.arrl.org/qst/2004/07/salas.pdf

                    Dave
                  • radioke4iza
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                      Dave

                      Thanks. Loaded with your link. It would not load using
                      copy/paste.

                      Jim - ke4iza