Re: Frozen 230

  • james27613
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
      Hi Michael,

      can you drill into the ice block and insert an
      aquarium heater to gently melt the block to remove
      just the sgc unit?

      Then add some antfreeze solution to the bucket,
      not sure how much space in not take up by the ice block.

      should any water have gotten inside the sgc unit, it should be
      frozen and that will keep any of the antifreeze from entering.

      73 james ke4drn
    • Michael Ostlund
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
        Thanks James - I appreciate the idea.  When I looked in there yesterday afternoon, it looks like the water I was able to soak-up last weekend is now below the seam of the case.  It is, however, still over the antenna/coax/control cable connector.  I'm beginning to think that the best thing I could do would be try and remove the entire plastic bin - 230 and all.  However, in order to do that - I need to thaw the ground around the bin.   Another suggested a light bulb - and I'm thinking a couple of them with a blanket over the weekend, might just give me enough melting to accomplish that -

        Thanks again -
        73

        Michael J. Ostlund, CBT, CBNT
        Director ~ Bloomington Communications Group
        Minnesota Section ~ ARES Assistant Emergency Coordinator - Operations
        mjostlund@...
        N0ANP

        No Phone?  No Internet?  No Problem!  Ham Radio
        Perfecting Tomorrow's Communications Today!

        To: Smartuners@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
          Hi Michael,

          be sure to use one of the PAR-38 type floodlights,
          90W should do the trick.

          73 james ke4drn
        • Michael Ostlund

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 15, 2013
              You need to get it free and inside.

              You will need to open the case once it warms up.

              Since we are talking about ground water and relay contacts....

              Rinse in sink for initial cleaning.

              Get a couple gallons of distilled water and a clean plastic tub,
              submerge unit for a couple hours.

              Once out of the distilled water, let it sit until it stops dripping and
              rinse the board with 99% isopropal. Not 70%, not denatured rubbing.
              Get a couple bottles of 99% isopropal ($1.50 a pint around here, I use a
              couple pints cleaning electronics). Use a couple pints (well ventilated
              area), try to rinse the board but not soak the case.

              Set unit aside in a warm/dry area for a few days. A small half bath or
              similar with a heater set to say 95F is perfect for this.

              The bad thing here is not the water, it is the freeze/thaw cycles.
              There are plenty of enclosed spaces (relay bodies) that could have been
              damaged by the repeated freezing.

              As far as mounting... I have my 235 at the base of an L. BUT, it is
              mounted on the tree with the bottom 12" above the spring flooding
              water-line. No additional enclosure. The thing gets rained on in the
              summer, and is currently enclosed in frozen snow. Going on 5 years now
              and no issues. Only special precautions... Above the high water line
              (below ground is not an option here), and I overwrapped the RF terminal
              with 5 layers of silicone tape overwrapped with 3M 88 (Keeps water off
              of the RF terminal nut and is ~ 20kv insulation)

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2013
                I am pleased to report that the 230 has been extricated from the frozen tundra we know as Minnesota.    However, it was full of water - although we did use hot water to get it out of the ground.

                Chris - I'm wondering if I could contact you off reflector.  We have several questions.  If you would be willing to give me a phone number to call I would appreciate it.  You can send it to mjostlund@....

                thanks,

                To: Smartuners@yahoogroups.com
                CC: mjostlund@...
                From: cbrown@...