Tuning with tuner powered off

  • IZ5PQT
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
      Hello

      I am new here. I have an Internet-controlled station and I use the
      SG-239 to tune the antenna. Since with remote operation I can't be 100% sure that the SG-239 DC power is on when I try to tune, is there any risk of damaging the tuner or the TX if this happens?

      Thanks
      Giovanni IZ5PQT
    • james27613
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi Giovanni,

        With no power the SGC will be switched out of the circuit and
        the radio will be direct to the antenna.

        73 james ke4drn
      • IZ5PQT
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
          Hi James

          thank you. However I just checked the schematics and it seems to me that, with all the relays open, L1...L8 will be in series with the
          antenna. This will give a complete mismatch, but probably no harm to the
          tuner.

          73 Giovanni IZ5PQT

          --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "james27613" <james27613@...> wrote:

          > Hi Giovanni,
          >
          > With no power the SGC will be switched out of the circuit and
          > the radio will be direct to the antenna.
          >
          > 73 james ke4drn

        • Christopher Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            That is correct, all the relays are normally open type. Since the
            relays connect caps and bypass the inductors... Powered off == every
            inductor inline.

            On 3/2/13 11:03 AM, IZ5PQT wrote:
            > Hi James
            >
            > thank you. However I just checked the schematics and it seems to me that, with all the relays open, L1...L8 will be in series with the
            > antenna. This will give a complete mismatch, but probably no harm to the
            > tuner.
            >
            > 73 Giovanni IZ5PQT
            >
            > --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "james27613" <james27613@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi Giovanni,
            >>
            >> With no power the SGC will be switched out of the circuit and
            >> the radio will be direct to the antenna.
            >>
            >> 73 james ke4drn

          • james27613
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
              Hi Giovanni,

              Yes, I apologize for posting the wrong answer,
              I should have read the manual and checked the schematic.

              73 james ke4drn

              --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "IZ5PQT" <iz5pqt@...> wrote:

              > Hi James
              >
              > thank you. However I just checked the schematics and it seems to me that, with all the relays open, L1...L8 will be in series with the
              > antenna. This will give a complete mismatch, but probably no harm to the
              > tuner.
              >
              > 73 Giovanni IZ5PQT
              >
              > --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "james27613" <james27613@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Giovanni,
              > >
              > > With no power the SGC will be switched out of the circuit and
              > > the radio will be direct to the antenna.
              > >
              > > 73 james ke4drn

            • IZ5PQT
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
                Hi James