Cleaning Aluminum Antenna parts

  • reg_genola
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
      A few months back someone was talking about using "Rutland" glass cleaner to clean aluminum. I tried to search that thread but no luck. Does anyone have any sugestions?

      Reg W3REG
    • N1KHB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
        Hi Reg,
           Not sure if you mean mechanical cleaning for electrical conductivity or polishing, and what condition the aluminum is presently in, but if electrical conductivity is your goal and it is partly corroded then I would use coarse steel wool or medium to fine sandpaper. Be careful to remove all residue. Apply one of the anti corrosion products such as De-Ox and reassemble. I can't imagine what any glass cleaner would do for aluminum.
           Zat what you wanted?

        Best,
        Joe N1KHB

        In a message dated 11/2/2012 12:03:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rgenola@... writes:

        A few months back someone was talking about using "Rutland" glass cleaner to clean aluminum. I tried to search that thread but no luck. Does anyone have any sugestions?

        Reg W3REG

      • astro_maryland
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
          Reg,
          Joe is essentially correct. Instead of sand paper you might try emory cloth which is specifically recommended for soft metals such as Al. I use two different grits: medium or ~180 grit to start and fine ~220 to 300 to finish it off. Job always comes out top notch. GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

          --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, N1KHB@... wrote:

          > Hi Reg,
          > Not sure if you mean mechanical cleaning for electrical conductivity or
          > polishing, and what condition the aluminum is presently in, but if
          > electrical conductivity is your goal and it is partly corroded then I would use
          > coarse steel wool or medium to fine sandpaper. Be careful to remove all
          > residue. ...
          > Best,
          > Joe N1KHB
          > _www.tinyurl.com/n1khb_ (http://www.tinyurl.com/n1khb)
          >
          > In a message dated 11/2/2012 12:03:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > rgenola@... writes:
          >
          > A few months back someone was talking about using "Rutland" glass cleaner to clean aluminum. I tried to search that thread but no luck. Does anyone Have any sugestions?
          >
          > Reg W3REG

        • Reg Genola
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
            GM Joe,

            If I remember correctly they were talking about refurbishing a butternut vertical and were discussing how to clean the aluminum both for conductivity and to make it look new again. The Rutland glass cleaner is formulated to remove the stains from glass fireplace doors and the maker states that it will clean up several types of metals without damaging the surface.

            Thanks for the info you provided. I'll let you all know if the cleaner works. BTW it is also supposed to remove the soap stains from shower doors.

            Reg W3REG
          • Lord Corney of Lochabar
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
              In the UK there is a product called Loyblox which is designed for cleaning aluminium parts on vehicles. It is extremely effective and can be used on any aluminium products.

              Regards

              Trevor (M1CXF)

              For a free sim with £5 credit click this link

              http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/m1cxf