noise when SG-231 used

  • John Shadle
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
      In an effort to reduce the noise in the shack/my headphones, I have
      noticed that the use of the SG-231 tuner causes my noise floor to
      increase vastly--and not in a good way.

      I'm powering the SG-231 with a plug-in transformer. It has a cord
      going to the SG-231 and a cord going from the transformer to the wall
      outlet. I put a toroid (Type 43) on the end of the cable (at the tuner
      end) and a couple of inches before it's plugged in the wall. That
      helped a little, but I'm still getting a lot of noise.

      Just wondering if others have noticed this, and what their fixes were.

      Thanks.
      -john W4PAH
    • JC
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
        Try feeding the sg231 with a battery, if noise drops, culprit is wall transformer. I never had noise due to any sgc tuner?couplers.
        JC
        VE7OI

        --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, John Shadle <shadle@...> wrote:

        > In an effort to reduce the noise in the shack/my headphones, I have
        > noticed that the use of the SG-231 tuner causes my noise floor to
        > increase vastly--and not in a good way.
        >
        > I'm powering the SG-231 with a plug-in transformer. It has a cord
        > going to the SG-231 and a cord going from the transformer to the wall
        > outlet. I put a toroid (Type 43) on the end of the cable (at the tuner
        > end) and a couple of inches before it's plugged in the wall. That
        > helped a little, but I'm still getting a lot of noise.
        >
        > Just wondering if others have noticed this, and what their fixes were.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > -john W4PAH

      • Philip
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012

          A wall wart will cause noise through an SGC tuner.  It is imperative to use a well filtered power supply or battery as the power source.  The wall wart ripple or unfiltered rectifier output flows to the tuner to be introduced to the antenna circuits within the tuner.  I had a PS filter go in a modified surplus notebook power supply here and the picket fence noise was terrible.  That supply was replaced by a well filtered home brew supply.  Only dependable commercial supplies would be the sort similar to MFJ switching supplies.  Overkill for sure as the lowest amperage available is way more than needed by the tuner.  Most of us have the tuner located too far from shack to feed from station PS, so low cost alternative is home brew.  As another suggested, a temporary battery will tell the story.   Regards, DE K4PO

        • shadle
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012
            Hi Philip,
            Thanks for your reply.

            My tuner is about 15' from my operating position, so I could potentially run some lamp wire (or something) between it and the power supply. Would that be advisable, or should I consider a closer, regulated homebrew supply as you suggest.

            Would you mind sharing the power supply and filter that you have used in the past? I'm interested to see what that project looks like.

            73
            -john W4PAH

            --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <pcsalley@...> wrote:

            > A wall wart will cause noise through an SGC
            > tuner. It is imperative to use a well
            > filtered power supply or battery as the power
            > source. The wall wart ripple or unfiltered
            > rectifier output flows to the tuner to be
            > introduced to the antenna circuits within the
            > tuner. I had a PS filter go in a modified
            > surplus notebook power supply here and the
            > picket fence noise was terrible. That supply
            > was replaced by a well filtered home brew
            > supply. Only dependable commercial supplies
            > would be the sort similar to MFJ switching
            > supplies. Overkill for sure as the lowest
            > amperage available is way more than needed by
            > the tuner. Most of us have the tuner located
            > too far from shack to feed from station PS,
            > so low cost alternative is home brew. As
            > another suggested, a temporary battery will
            > tell the story. Regards, DE K4PO
          • Rudy Marcelletti
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012
              I always power my couplers from the rig.  No noise issues.  When the rig is on, so is the coupler.  When the rig is off, so is the coupler.  I have a couple of jumpers I made up that I can use to put my SGC-230 coupler about a 150' from the rig.  No issues.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012

                John, 15 feet should be no problem with the small voltage loss in that distance should not affect the SGC tuner operation.  Use the largest gage wire on hand to minimize the voltage drop though lamp wire that can be as small as 18 gage would not be a very good choice, but maybe workable – try it.  I would go for at least 14 gage.  Obviously amperage is not at issue, the concern is voltage drop over distance.  DE K4PO

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012

                  Interesting, a 150 foot tuner power run, it appears the SGC operating voltage range is indeed generous.  Yes Rudy, powering from rig is good as you are using a well filtered source that is, in addition, common to the rig.  My SG-230 is about 30 feet from power source with 16 gage wire for power source though with a separate power supply.   Voltage drop is difficult to measure under load as the tuner is so darned quick to reach “tuned” state.  DE K4PO

[...]

                • K5TED radio
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012
                    Bias tees are pretty cheap and allow you to power the SGC form the rig power source. The SG-230 states 900mA, so the average switch small wart will do the job, but it may be noisy.

                    I have my SG-230 on a balcony, and there is power there so I have a Rat Shack 1A transformer power supply, a wireless controlled power outlet(Woods 32555 ), and a Comet duplexer (splits off 6m-70cm from HF) built into a small NEMA enclosure that sits right below the SGC. No power supply noise, and I can turn the SGC on and off remotely for reset.