Re: rain gutter antenna

  • kevin4617
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
      I am running an inverted L antenna, but not using gutters. I have 100ft of wire starting at the SGC230 (near ground level) up to a 10ft mast mounted on the roof gable, then across to a 2nd 10ft mast on the other gable. The horiz section is about 25' up off the ground.

      I have about 300 ft of wire and ground rods in the yard, and it tunes up all frequencies from 160m to 10m. This antenna is rather lousy in my opinion, but it gets out and gets me on the air.

      I run no more than 150w on SSB and 60w on CW through the SGC 230. The spec rating for my unit is 200w, but read the fine print. The tuner is limited to 80w on CW and digital modes. If you drive more than 80w continuous into the SGC230, it will blow the sense diodes. Ask me how I know.