Need advice sg 230

  • davechilvers@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hiya
      I`m reborn after a mild heart attack and now have more time on my hands.

      I dug out my 230, tied an 80ft wire to a pole at the bottom of my garden and went out into the field behind my house in my VW transporter van with my 230 securely fixed to the bulkhead between cargo and passenger sections with the wire poking out of a side sliding door left open.A really good thick earth into the body and tuned up. Made contacts on 80Mtr and 20Mtr . So it`s at least working.

      Now with the winter ahead I might not be able to get into the field so want to install the 230 in one of my sheds.

      Q. I have a tree in the garden not too far away from the shack and could probably get 30ft vertical is that any good and would I need to dig up the garden for radials?In fact do I need radials where ever I put the wire when not earthed to the van?
      Q. Can you add wire to a length by soldering to increase length?
      Q.I have a 7 Mtr centre fed wire dipole across the garden, will a wire near it interfere.
      Q.Does a wire run have to be in a straight line or can you add bends to increase length.
      Q. In the manual it mentions various lengths of wire that can be used and the couple of positions I`ve tried it in the van and I have been able to tune up OK by turning the smart tuner off and turning back on whilst transmitting AM and got satisfactory SWR but wonder (having access to the field) whether to try to run a really long wire. One amateur ham told me to just put out as much insulated wire as I can just laying on the hedge?
      Q. Will running a wire near the house detract.

      Sorry for the long list but any help would be much appreciated

      Dave (M3WPZ)
    • Conor
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2011
        --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "davechilvers@..." <davechilvers@...> wrote:

        > Now with the winter ahead I might not be able to get into the field so want to install the 230 in one of my sheds.
        >
        > Q. I have a tree in the garden not too far away from the shack and could probably get 30ft vertical is that any good and would I need to dig up the garden for radials?In fact do I need radials where ever I put the wire when not earthed to the van?

        30ft vertical is OK however can you run from where the top of the vertical will be horizontally and create an inverted L? I have a tree which I use as the support for the vertical end of my inverted L with the other running to the chimney on the house at the other end of the garden. Gets me in the top 10 in the UK in contests in my class.

        Yes you will need radials if you want it to work well and not use the co-ax as a counterpoise. An antenna needs two sides and by not having radials, you only have half an antenna and it'll try to use anything as the other half which means the co-ax and 12V lines. I use 20 radials between 15 and 40ft in length. They don't need to be cut to length for each band, just as many and as long as you can get in the space you have. .

        > Q. Can you add wire to a length by soldering to increase length?

        Yes, that works fine. I used connector blocks when playing with different lengths as you'll find it'll possibly have difficulty on some bands some times with certain lengths, usually when they are near 1/4 wave on the frequency you are trying to match. I found 75ft and 60ft were good lengths on most bands.

        > Q.I have a 7 Mtr centre fed wire dipole across the garden, will a wire near it interfere.

        Not if it is vertical. If it is horizontal or inverted L it will do but how much is another question.

        > Q.Does a wire run have to be in a straight line or can you add bends to increase length.

        Adding bends is fine but alters the radiation pattern.

        > Q. In the manual it mentions various lengths of wire that can be used and the couple of positions I`ve tried it in the van and I have been able to tune up OK by turning the smart tuner off and turning back on whilst transmitting AM and got satisfactory SWR but wonder (having access to the field) whether to try to run a really long wire. One amateur ham told me to just put out as much insulated wire as I can just laying on the hedge?

        I wouldn't do that. It'll work fine for NVIS local contacts but be poor for DX. Insulated wire is a good idea though because it appears 4% electrically longer to RF. DO NOT turn the tuner off and back on to retune...just transmit a carrier when you change band and it'll automatically tune - keep transmitting until its finished. Once you've got it installed permanently, just transmit in a couple of places on each band until it tunes. It will then remember the settings and all you need to do in future is to change to the band you want, give a little whistle into the mike and it should tune up almost instantaneously.

        > Q. Will running a wire near the house detract.

        No however it may pick up electrical noise from the house.

        > Sorry for the long list but any help would be much appreciated
        >
        > Dave (M3WPZ)

        No need to be sorry at all Dave. Ask away.

        Conor, M0GVZ.
      • David
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2011
          Is the shed where you want to mount the tuner metal or wood? if it is metal
          you can probably use it as the ground for the tuner. Answer to your
          questions
          1 yes the tuner must have some kind of a return on the ground side to work.
          I have found with my tuner it has to be larger than the antenna to work
          properly. it could be wires on the ground or buried an inch or two . another
          possibility is an elevated ground two or three wires a bit longer than the
          antenna work o.k. that way.
          2 Yes you can solder to the antenna but it is usually a weak link in the
          wire. I do not recommend soldering on the grand radials as acid in the soil
          will destroy the connection in a short time.
          3 yes if the new wires close to the other dip[ole it will interfere but I do
          not know how much.
          4 You can bend the wire if needed to fit the space.
          5 The tuner likes a wire up in the air away from trees and bushes. Also do
          not use wire a quarter wave light or a half wave length long . 23 and 27
          feet have been real successful for me. But I don't even try to work 80
          meters.
          Hope this helps. 73 David
          > I`m reborn after a mild heart attack and now have more time on my hands.
          >
          > I dug out my 230, tied an 80ft wire to a pole at the bottom of my garden
          > and went out into the field behind my house in my VW transporter van with
          > my 230 securely fixed to the bulkhead between cargo and passenger sections
          > with the wire poking out of a side sliding door left open.A really good
          > thick earth into the body and tuned up. Made contacts on 80Mtr and 20Mtr .
          > So it`s at least working.
          >
          > Now with the winter ahead I might not be able to get into the field so
          > want to install the 230 in one of my sheds.
          >
          > Q. I have a tree in the garden not too far away from the shack and could
          > probably get 30ft vertical is that any good and would I need to dig up the
          > garden for radials?In fact do I need radials where ever I put the wire
          > when not earthed to the van?
          > Q. Can you add wire to a length by soldering to increase length?
          > Q.I have a 7 Mtr centre fed wire dipole across the garden, will a wire
          > near it interfere.
          > Q.Does a wire run have to be in a straight line or can you add bends to
          > increase length.
          > Q. In the manual it mentions various lengths of wire that can be used and
          > the couple of positions I`ve tried it in the van and I have been able to
          > tune up OK by turning the smart tuner off and turning back on whilst
          > transmitting AM and got satisfactory SWR but wonder (having access to the
          > field) whether to try to run a really long wire. One amateur ham told me
          > to just put out as much insulated wire as I can just laying on the hedge?
          > Q. Will running a wire near the house detract.
          >
          > Sorry for the long list but any help would be much appreciated
          >
          > Dave (M3WPZ)

        • David Chilvers
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2011
            Thanks for all the good info and I`ll put some of it to practise during the Autumn

            Cheers

            Dave
            www.pbase.com/davechilvers
                     Take a look! you might enjoy