Re: SGC considers a special "run" of the SG-231 Coupler

  • kav246
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hello again all.

      With a limited run of 300 units it's unlikely that I'd find one here in Blighty anyway even if I could "liberate" the money.

      My ideal solution would be the SG231 spec (with added latching relays)but with SG237 dimensions and an RT11 price tag.

      If SGC were looking for suggestions for a future unit I would recommend that they use their skill and experience to build a tuner of their best capabilities, be that 231 or 230PRO/235 or something completely new but in a package that permitted coax output for easier mobile use.

      External mounting and that hot wire connection may well be the very thing that makes a Smartuner work as well as it does but they're a right royal pain in the frame when it comes to vehicle mounting in a soggy country where some people think they have the right to knick something whether it's screwed down or not!

      Regards

      Kav
    • Michael Walker
      Message 43 of 43 , May 2, 2011
        Hi All

        Sorry, I was lazy as I was typing on the iPad.

        If you look on the SGC500 Manual, you will see that there is a jumper in section 7.4

        Remote ON/OFF Power Control:

        The SG-500 can be turned on/off remotely via a connector provided for
        this purpose. To the left of the front panel PTT selection switch is a vertical 4-pin header. A jumper
        comes installed across the top two pins, which are in series with the front-panel ON/OFF switch line.

        The bottom two pins provide indicator output for a LED, and are in parallel with the front panel PWR LED.
        SGC provides a Remote Control box for the amplifier that can be purchased separately (Cat. #52-88).
        To install a custom remote on/off switch, remove the upper jumper and connect your switch leads in its
        place using a push-on connector.

        Likewise, a remote LED can be connected to the lower two pins if
        desired (LED ground connection on the lower pin). Leave the front panel on/off switch in the ON
        position to enable your remote line in this configuration

        So, what you do is take out the jumper and use a connector much like the model plane fliers use.  Leave the Power Switch on the SGC500 turned on and then run these 2 leads to another relay (like the 12DC that powers your radio).  Or, some radios have a switched 12vdc coming out of the back of the radio.

        If it is mobile, then have the ACC voltage (same that turns the car radio on), turn on the relays that will then send the power signal to the SGC500.

        It sounds way more complicated than it is.

        As a test, turn the Amp on, and then use some needle nose pliers to pull off the jumper.  You will see that the amp turns off.

        good luck!

        73.. Mike VA3MW
        '

        On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:48 PM, <k8swd@...> wrote:

        The only Auto Off I can think of is when the amp is used with a 235 coupler and it trips out. Otherwise, it is a switch.

        Rudy, K8SWD

        Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

        From: chas <chasm@...>
        Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:13:46 -0500
        Subject: Re: [Smartuners] Auto off on Cube??

        On 4/25/11 7:34 PM, Michael Walker wrote:
        > The amp is designed to be turned off with a simple relay. Just power that
        > relay with the 12v from your radio or something like that.
        >
        > Mike va3mw

        SORRY, not finding anything about that in the SG-500 manual --
        anyone have any idea where that might be? I am sure that Mike is not talking
        about using the remote off switch. <G>

        thanks es 73
        Chas k5dam