SG 237 Will not tune [solved]

  • Allan Kissack
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
      For the benefit of anyone falling into the same trap, I share my recent experiences with my new SG-237.....

      Purchased for Christmas I spent 2 full days with various antenna configurations from vertical 6m through 26m inverted L, inverted V fed with ladder line and even a delta as per the manual.
      None of these configurations would tune 40m, 30m or 20m.  Occasionally 60m  would tune. 17,15,12m, 80 and 160m were generally ok in all configurations.

      In despair I brought the tuner indoors to do the light bulb check to find similar tuning deficiencies.

      In the end it turned out to be the PSU, not able to supply sufficient current in tune mode (it was chosen because it exceeded the manual  requirements (500ma). I replaced it with a maplins switched mode 2A unit (small and cheep multi voltage type L06BR) and the bulb test was fine.  Needless to say it was back at the base of an 8m vertical toady and perfect tune up on all bands :-)  (going to try the inverted V configuration on monday!)

      --
      Allan
    • M Miranda
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
        Allan,

        Congrats and thanks for passing along the info. I had problems last year with a bad PL259 shield. Stuff like this adds to our frustration but also adds to our pool of knowledge. If there were no problems we'd never learn anything!

        Murphy can be a teacher sometimes.

        73,
        Mike W4DXL