SG-230 can't find match to a light bulb

  • Ray Day
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
      Hi all,

      My 2.5-year-old SG-230 can't seem to find a match, even to a light
      bulb. Here's what I see (both on 40M and 80M):

      1. Light bulb connected across output antenna terminal and SG-230 ground stud.
      2. Clean (battery) +12VDC.
      3. When 40M or 80M (~20W) RF is applied, relays chatter, bulb glows
      brighter/simmer as a match is attempted.
      4. "A match" is found at SWR of ~5:1 into the tuner, relays stop, all
      LED's are blinking in unison. Bulb is not glowing at the brightest of
      the different glow levels when a match was being sought.
      5. When RF is removed, they all go out.

      I hope I've given enough detail to completely define the situation.
      Can anybody deduce from this what might be going on? SGC wants almost
      1/2 the cost of a new tuner to fix it!

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      73, Ray N6HE
    • N1KHB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
        Ray,
           Could you tell us please what antenna you're trying to tune, and will it tune on any other bands?

        Best,
        Joe N1KHB

        In a message dated 12/4/2010 12:35:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rayday@... writes:

        Hi all,

        My 2.5-year-old SG-230 can't seem to find a match, even to a light
        bulb. Here's what I see (both on 40M and 80M):

        1. Light bulb connected across output antenna terminal and SG-230 ground stud.
        2. Clean (battery) +12VDC.
        3. When 40M or 80M (~20W) RF is applied, relays chatter, bulb glows
        brighter/simmer as a match is attempted.
        4. "A match" is found at SWR of ~5:1 into the tuner, relays stop, all
        LED's are blinking in unison. Bulb is not glowing at the brightest of
        the different glow levels when a match was being sought.
        5. When RF is removed, they all go out.

        I hope I've given enough detail to completely define the situation.
        Can anybody deduce from this what might be going on? SGC wants almost
        1/2 the cost of a new tuner to fix it!

        Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        73, Ray N6HE

      • raydayyho
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
          Hi Joe,
          Well, a while ago, I tried a 25' vertical with on-the-ground radials and then a ~60 long wire with radials/counterpoise. Wouldn't find a match.

          When that didn't work, I set aside the thing and today decided to test it out in "plain vanilla" mode - a light bulb. The SG-230 Manual describes this as a test for proper operation and the SG-230 it seems should find a happy match to a light bulb, right?

          Results as in the original message. Just now, I tried a 50-ohm dummy load, albeit connected from the SG-230 to the input connector of the dummy load via 12" coax "pigtail" - SG-230 output terminal connected to coax center conductor, coax shield braid to SG-230 ground stud. Not a pure 50-ohm load, but surely the SG-230 should find a match to both this and the light bulb, wouldn't you think?

          It doesn't. in the dummy-load case described above, endless searching (over a minute).

          I'm interested in getting it working "on the bench" first. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

          Thanks,
          Ray N6HE

          --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, N1KHB@... wrote:

          > Ray,
          > Could you tell us please what antenna you're trying to tune, and will
          > it tune on any other bands?
          >
          > Best,
          > Joe N1KHB
          > _www.tinyurl.com/n1khb_ (http://www.tinyurl.com/n1khb)
          >

          > In a message dated 12/4/2010 12:35:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > rayday@... writes:
          >

          > Hi all,
          >
          > My 2.5-year-old SG-230 can't seem to find a match, even to a light
          > bulb. Here's what I see (both on 40M and 80M):
          >
          > 1. Light bulb connected across output antenna terminal and SG-230 ground
          > stud.
          > 2. Clean (battery) +12VDC.
          > 3. When 40M or 80M (~20W) RF is applied, relays chatter, bulb glows
          > brighter/simmer as a match is attempted.
          > 4. "A match" is found at SWR of ~5:1 into the tuner, relays stop, all
          > LED's are blinking in unison. Bulb is not glowing at the brightest of
          > the different glow levels when a match was being sought.
          > 5. When RF is removed, they all go out.
          >
          > I hope I've given enough detail to completely define the situation.
          > Can anybody deduce from this what might be going on? SGC wants almost
          > 1/2 the cost of a new tuner to fix it!
          >
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
          >
          > 73, Ray N6HE

        • raydayyho
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
            Joe, it's the same on 80 and 40, by the way.

            Ray

          • N1KHB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
              Hi Ray,
                 I have no direct advice regarding your tuner as I've never had a single hitch with mine causing a need to deal with any problems. I've never even lit up a light bulb.
                 As to any particular antenna design such as your random wire (a "long wire" is usually something bigger than that - two wavelengths at the operating frequency as I recall), you can check the web for information pertaining to desirable and undesirable lengths for ease of tuning. The rest is evaluating the resulting radiation patterns at various frequencies.
                 It's unfortunate the '230 is so expensive. And according to what you've stated, any accompanying repairs as well. When I got mine back in the 1990's, it was about the only game in town. With competition coming from LDG and others, I'm actually surprised that the '230 still sells for as much as it does - or even sells at all! The LDG Z11 pro for example which I also own, is as far as I can tell just about as capable and far more affordable. There are operational advantages as well due to low current draw for tune cycles allowing for local battery operation. Weatherproofing a Z11 is simple by just using a sealed food container for a secondary enclosure. Just some casual observations on my part as an owner of both.
                 Keep us informed of your progress!

              Joe N1KHB

              In a message dated 12/4/2010 3:11:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rayday@... writes:

              Hi Joe,
              Well, a while ago, I tried a 25' vertical with on-the-ground radials and then a ~60 long wire with radials/counterpoise. Wouldn't find a match.

              When that didn't work, I set aside the thing and today decided to test it out in "plain vanilla" mode - a light bulb. The SG-230 Manual describes this as a test for proper operation and the SG-230 it seems should find a happy match to a light bulb, right?

              Results as in the original message. Just now, I tried a 50-ohm dummy load, albeit connected from the SG-230 to the input connector of the dummy load via 12" coax "pigtail" - SG-230 output terminal connected to coax center conductor, coax shield braid to SG-230 ground stud. Not a pure 50-ohm load, but surely the SG-230 should find a match to both this and the light bulb, wouldn't you think?

              It doesn't. in the dummy-load case described above, endless searching (over a minute).

              I'm interested in getting it working "on the bench" first. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

              Thanks,
              Ray N6HE

              --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, N1KHB@... wrote:

              > Ray,
              > Could you tell us please what antenna you're trying to tune, and will
              > it tune on any other bands?
              >
              > Best,
              > Joe N1KHB
              > _www.tinyurl.com/n1khb_ (http://www.tinyurl.com/n1khb)
              >

              > In a message dated 12/4/2010 12:35:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > rayday@... writes:
              >

              > Hi all,
              >
              > My 2.5-year-old SG-230 can't seem to find a match, even to a light
              > bulb. Here's what I see (both on 40M and 80M):
              >
              > 1. Light bulb connected across output antenna terminal and SG-230 ground
              > stud.
              > 2. Clean (battery) +12VDC.
              > 3. When 40M or 80M (~20W) RF is applied, relays chatter, bulb glows
              > brighter/simmer as a match is attempted.
              > 4. "A match" is found at SWR of ~5:1 into the tuner, relays stop, all
              > LED's are blinking in unison. Bulb is not glowing at the brightest of
              > the different glow levels when a match was being sought.
              > 5. When RF is removed, they all go out.
              >
              > I hope I've given enough detail to completely define the situation.
              > Can anybody deduce from this what might be going on? SGC wants almost
              > 1/2 the cost of a new tuner to fix it!
              >
              > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
              >
              > 73, Ray N6HE

            • raydayyho
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
                Joe, thanks!
                I'm pretty disgusted with the $245 they want to check it out. I'll try calling and see if can't get a tech to talk to me....
                Thanks for the good words about the LDG. I have a small older one (in-shack coax-to-coax) that works great. But I need an at-the-antenna coupler.

                Anybody else got any ideas????

                73,
                Ray

              • raydayyho
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Joe, thanks for the great rundown; makes total sense to me except about how to "push the TUNE button" and seeing the final SWR after tuning. I'm assuming you have it set to "auto" and just let it do it's thing out there, yes?

                  Ray

                • N1KHB@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 6, 2010
                    Yes, that's what I have done, Ray. But there's no reason not to extend the control cable for remote control. I'd use adequate bypass filtering at both ends though just to be safe.
                       I also learned a lesson the hard way about powering my '230 while mobile. I had used the 12 volt accessory jack on the back of the radio in use at the time - a Yaesu FT747. At one point everything quit. The tuner wouldn't tune, the radio wouldn't radio, and all was unhappy in N1KHB land. Thanks to the kind assistance of a UK ham M0EZP, I was able to trace the problem to a radio circuit board foil that had opened up due to power from the accessory jack being over the rating of one amp. It worked for quite a long time, but gave up the ghost one day because I ignored the current rating.

                    Best,
                    Joe N1KHB