Re: Weatherproof SG-230. NOT!

  • andros2112
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
      The SG-230 is not water resistant. Note SGC's advice to mount the unit inside of an inverted bucket! Tells you everything you need to know...

      The potential points of entry are numerous. The flimsy foam rubber gasket wont stop much - especially when the water is moving at a high relative velocity. You might improve things by replacing it with a thick bead of silicone glue, but understand you'll have a fight on your hands if you ever need to open it up for service.

      You may be able to augment the units' water tight integrity through the use of tape and or silicone adhesive - placed around the perimeter.

      Understand - Murphy invented water - if it CAN GET IN - IT will!

      It's always good to take measures to try to stop water from getting in, but what's even better is the effort you make to let it OUT.

      Install a drain hole at the lowest point - with respect to how the unit is mounted.

      If you're really concerned, mount the unit inside of another - better sealed plastic box. You'll still want a drain hole in both the tuner and the box - to allow dew and condensation to exit.

      73 - Steve KG4LJB
      Jaytron Marine Electronics
      941.748.1941

      --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "co_farmer" <co_farmer@...> wrote:

      > A few years ago I purchased an SG-230 to use with our 5th wheel trailer. The SG-230 and antenna are on the pin box, the hitch part on the front of the trailer. The SG-230 is on top of the pin box and is at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal, with a vertical antenna in front of it.
      >
      > We live in the desert of Central Oregon and have very little precipitation. The tuner has always performed correctly. I use an ICOM 706MKII in the trailer.
      >
      > Last June we spent 8 days near Crescent City, CA. The rain was bad going there and continued for several days, but cleared up for a few days. The ICOM and tuner performed great for 3 days, then the tuner quit working. I did not investigate further as I assumed the problem was blown diodes, or similar.
      >
      > Last evening I took the tuner off the pin box and into the shop. On opening,I could see signs of moisture and even water condensed on the top cover of the enclosure. Much as I looked, I could not see any way for water to get into the unit. I cleaned as well as I could with IPA and an old tooth brush and blew out the residue.
      >
      > The only potential access for water is the part where the coax/power cable enters the unit. It is on the up hill side. There is a compression nut to tighten the joint with the cable, but I suspect that is the culprit. Water running down the cable might have continued right on into the compression fitting and found an opening into the tuner.
      >
      > After I test the unit I will be sure to cover the outside of the compression fitting with RTV or similar stuff before reinstalling.
      >
      > Has anyone had similar problems with their weather-proof tuner and what did they do to fix the problem?
      >
      > Paul, KD7HB

    • co_farmer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
        Update to old post!!!

        Finally got time to work on fixing the SG-230. Used IPA (isopropal alcohol) and an old tooth brush to clean all places with obvious water damage. It cleaned up pretty well.

        Then made up patch cables for power and RF to the unit and tested it in the home shack. Used a Heath Cantenna for dummy load and an ICOM IC-760 in AM mode to test. Supposed to be 40 watts output on AM.

        Tuner powered right up when 12 volts applied. Heard relay and an LED lit up. When the rig was keyed, the tuner quickly searched for a match and the 50 ohm LED lit up. Changed to several different bands and did the same test. All good results, so prepared to re-install on trailer pin box.

        I used aquarium grade RTV on the cable compression fitting and the perimiter of the plastic case, then put the cover back on. RTV was forced out all around the case half joint.

        I am still waiting for time to test the unit while on the trailer, but I suspect it will be ok, again.

        I appreciate all the warnings about mounting the unit out in the open, but want to be able to find a way to use it there. The tuner needs to be a foot or so from the antenna.

        I will follow up with more information after I finish the testing.

        Paul, KD7HB

        --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "co_farmer" <co_farmer@...> wrote:

        > A few years ago I purchased an SG-230 to use with our 5th wheel trailer. The SG-230 and antenna are on the pin box, the hitch part on the front of the trailer. The SG-230 is on top of the pin box and is at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal, with a vertical antenna in front of it.
        >
        > We live in the desert of Central Oregon and have very little precipitation. The tuner has always performed correctly. I use an ICOM 706MKII in the trailer.
        >
        > Last June we spent 8 days near Crescent City, CA. The rain was bad going there and continued for several days, but cleared up for a few days. The ICOM and tuner performed great for 3 days, then the tuner quit working. I did not investigate further as I assumed the problem was blown diodes, or similar.
        >
        > Last evening I took the tuner off the pin box and into the shop. On opening,I could see signs of moisture and even water condensed on the top cover of the enclosure. Much as I looked, I could not see any way for water to get into the unit. I cleaned as well as I could with IPA and an old tooth brush and blew out the residue.
        >
        > The only potential access for water is the part where the coax/power cable enters the unit. It is on the up hill side. There is a compression nut to tighten the joint with the cable, but I suspect that is the culprit. Water running down the cable might have continued right on into the compression fitting and found an opening into the tuner.
        >
        > After I test the unit I will be sure to cover the outside of the compression fitting with RTV or similar stuff before reinstalling.
        >
        > Has anyone had similar problems with their weather-proof tuner and what did they do to fix the problem?
        >
        > Paul, KD7HB

      • Dave Jeffries
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2010
          Good information,  Thanks

          I too RV a bit (Quartzsite for the winters) and was looking at mounting my -237 outside to get it close to prospective the antenna base.  Have a Screwdriver on the other end of the rig,
          I was hoping that yours was going to "clean up" and run OK.

          Dave J    N0GMP
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++=

> [...]

          > The only potential access for water is the part where the coax/power cable enters the unit. It is on the up hill side. There is a compression nut to tighten the joint with the cable, but I suspect that is the culprit. Water running down the cable might have continued right on into the compression fitting and found an opening into the tuner.
          >
          > After I test the unit I will be sure to cover the outside of the compression fitting with RTV or similar stuff before reinstalling.
          >
          > Has anyone had similar problems with their weather-proof tuner and what did they do to fix the problem?

          Messages in this topic (6)

          <*> Your email settings:
              Digest Email  | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Smartuners-normal@yahoogroups.com
              Smartuners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bryan Johns
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2010
            I'm a little confused. Why do you even need the 237 with a screwdriver
            antenna? I would think you'd get better performance with just the
            screwdriver. Band changes might take longer but you'd be way better off
            just tuning the antenna to resonance.

            --
            Bryan Johns
            K4GDW

            "When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing - they
            believe in anything." --G. K. Chesterton

            Read The Patriot It's Right - It's Free
            (http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/)

            From: Smartuners@yahoogroups.com <Smartuners@yahoogroups.com>
            To: Smartuners@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Saturday, October 9, 2010, 9:54 AM

            From: co_farmer

            Message

            1a. Re: Weatherproof SG-230. NOT!
            Posted by: "co_farmer" co_farmer@...
            <http://us.mc1144.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=co_farmer@...>
            co_farmer
            Date: Tue Oct 5, 2010 1:22 pm ((PDT))

            Update to old post!!!

            <http://us.mc1144.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Smartuners@yahoogroups.com>
            , "co_farmer" <co_farmer@...> wrote:

            > A few years ago I purchased an SG-230 to use with our 5th wheel
            trailer. The SG-230 and antenna are on the pin box, the hitch part on the
            front of the trailer. The SG-230 is on top of the pin box and is at about
            a 30 degree angle from horizontal, with a vertical antenna in front of it.

            > We live in the desert of Central Oregon and have very little
            precipitation. The tuner has always performed correctly. I use an ICOM
            706MKII in the trailer.

            > Last June we spent 8 days near Crescent City, CA. The rain was
            bad going there and continued for several days, but cleared up for a few
            days. The ICOM and tuner performed great for 3 days, then the tuner quit
            working. I did not investigate further as I assumed the problem was blown
            diodes, or similar.

            > Last evening I took the tuner off the pin box and into the shop.
            On opening,I could see signs of moisture and even water condensed on the
            top cover of the enclosure. Much as I looked, I could not see any way for
            water to get into the unit. I cleaned as well as I could with IPA and an
            old tooth brush and blew out the residue.

            > The only potential access for water is the part where the
            coax/power cable enters the unit. It is on the up hill side. There is a
            compression nut to tighten the joint with the cable, but I suspect that is
            the culprit. Water running down the cable might have continued right on
            into the compression fitting and found an opening into the tuner.

            > After I test the unit I will be sure to cover the outside of the
            compression fitting with RTV or similar stuff before reinstalling.

            > Has anyone had similar problems with their weather-proof tuner
            and what did they do to fix the problem?

            > Paul, KD7HB

            Messages in this topic (6)

            ps.com>
            Smartuners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
            <http://us.mc1144.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Smartuners-fullfeatured@yah
            oogroups.com>

            ogroups.com>

          • LANDRAUD
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 14, 2010
              Hi,

              My SG-230 may be sealed ...

              My solution for the winter is as follows:

              http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?file=cj201009/cijTUGx0pW.jpg

              http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?file=cj201010/cij5YfTTgH.jpg

              It was very difficult to negotiate with my wife the hole at the bottom of the trash!

              best 73 from France
              Richard Landraud
              F1ULK en JN05sc
              http://wisi.skyrock.com/

              --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "co_farmer" <co_farmer@...> wrote:

              > A few years ago I purchased an SG-230 to use with our 5th wheel trailer. The SG-230 and antenna are on the pin box, the hitch part on the front of the trailer. The SG-230 is on top of the pin box and is at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal, with a vertical antenna in front of it.
              >
              > We live in the desert of Central Oregon and have very little precipitation. The tuner has always performed correctly. I use an ICOM 706MKII in the trailer.
              >
              > Last June we spent 8 days near Crescent City, CA. The rain was bad going there and continued for several days, but cleared up for a few days. The ICOM and tuner performed great for 3 days, then the tuner quit working. I did not investigate further as I assumed the problem was blown diodes, or similar.
              >
              > Last evening I took the tuner off the pin box and into the shop. On opening,I could see signs of moisture and even water condensed on the top cover of the enclosure. Much as I looked, I could not see any way for water to get into the unit. I cleaned as well as I could with IPA and an old tooth brush and blew out the residue.
              >
              > The only potential access for water is the part where the coax/power cable enters the unit. It is on the up hill side. There is a compression nut to tighten the joint with the cable, but I suspect that is the culprit. Water running down the cable might have continued right on into the compression fitting and found an opening into the tuner.
              >
              > After I test the unit I will be sure to cover the outside of the compression fitting with RTV or similar stuff before reinstalling.
              >
              > Has anyone had similar problems with their weather-proof tuner and what did they do to fix the problem?
              >
              > Paul, KD7HB

            • co_farmer
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 14, 2010
                Yes, a very good solution! Is that your only trash container? Where is the ground connection for the tuner? Is it part of the frame holding the tuner?

                Paul, KD7HB

                --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "LANDRAUD " <rlandraud@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > My SG-230 may be sealed ...
                >
                > My solution for the winter is as follows:
                >
                > http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?file=cj201009/cijTUGx0pW.jpg
                >
                > http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?file=cj201010/cij5YfTTgH.jpg
                >

                > It was very difficult to negotiate with my wife the hole at the bottom of the trash!
                >

                > best 73 from France
                > Richard Landraud
                > F1ULK en JN05sc
                > http://wisi.skyrock.com/

              • Bob Sayers
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 16, 2010
                  Hi,

                  Does anyone in the UK have the LATER type of SGC QMS which they want to sell?

                  My earlier version, with or without AATU, will be available for sale once I find one.

                  Reason for changing? I want to use it on the rear of a cabriolet smart car, and the earlier model is too long to fit on the panel!

                  regards,

                  Bob, G8IYK