Mac 200 and a loop

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
      Happy New Year All.

      I am going to install a multi-turn loop in my roof space [Yes - I know
      !! - bad idea and all that :-)]

      Having played with loops before,with a 237 and also a 239, would there
      be any difference if the loop was 'pile-wound' as against 'side by
      side' [like a coil].
      I ask as it will be a lot easier to use 4 insulators - one at each
      corner, with however many turns I can thread through.
      The 200 will be about nine feet below the loop,and I intend to space
      the tails [so they visibly look like open wire feeder].
      I reckon, If i'm lucky I can get 6 to 8 turns with 10 foot sides,so
      there will be at least 240 feet [plus tails] of wire up there - and if
      that won't load on 160, what will ?

      73

      Graham M5AAV
    • David H Hatch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
        Good day Graham,

        Can you give us more information, a description of what 'pile-wound' would
        look like?

        This term creates a memory in my mind of taking a large filled balloon and
        wrapping plaster of Paris drenched-twine around the balloon. When the twine
        dried, the balloon was popped, leaving the hard twine in it's formed round
        shape. This could have been done in a round and round overlap wrap, or side
        by side wrap, like an increasing-decreasing coil wind. This could be done
        with wire on a form. Hmmm.

        Anyways, 'pile-wound', what would that look like?

        Dave-N9ZRT
      • Graham
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
          --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "David H Hatch" <n9zrt@a...> wrote:

          > Good day Graham,
          >
          > Can you give us more information, a description of what 'pile-wound'
          would
          > look like?

          Hi David.

          First.
          The loop I have in the ceiling of the shack is a series of side by
          side turns - just like a conventional coil [only 6ft by 4ft :-)]

          What I meant by pile wound is that each corner would have at it a
          dog-bone insulator and the 'coil' would pass several times through
          each 'hole' at one end [the other end is used to attach the beast.]

          Similar to if I screwed in four cup hooks [one at each corner] and
          laid the wire round and round, so that where it was hooked would just
          be a 'jumble'.

          Easy to do hard to describe.

          73

          Graham
        • Terry Dettmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
            Graham,

            While I wouldn't recommend using a MAC-200 for a loop (the 237 and 239 are
            better solutions), because of the potential for interference in your shack,
            it certainly sounds interesting.

            As for multiple turns, I know lots of people who have done multiple turns in
            their attics and are satisfied with the results. I talked to many of them
            when I was doing service at SGC. The biggest issue with a multiple turn loop
            will be where your energy is going ... The radiation patter. You can
            certainly load it up, but I presume the objective is to talk to someone and
            that will depend on the geometry of your loop ... Can you provide
            dimensions? How many feet or meters it is along different directions and how
            high above the ground? Are there any other factors which might interfere
            with the signal, pushing it in a different direction (large conductive
            structures?) ... At 160 meters, you're not going to get very high off the
            ground, so most of your energy will probably be directed upwards and you
            would be limited to an NVIS type propagation, but there might be good enough
            lobes at lower angles to permit longer range communications.

            Can you load it ... YES

            Has anyone else used it ... YES

            Will it communicate with who you want to ... I don't know, there isn't
            enough information to tell ... Let me know how we can help.

            Terry
            WX7S

            ===============

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
              Okeydokey.

              The shack is on the first floor [uk speak].
              The loop will be about 22 feet above ground. And between 9 and 10 feet
              per side in a horizontal square.
              the feed from the Mac [the 239 is out on 'other duties' - like loading
              my 20m dipole[ha ha ha] on 10 to 40] will be almost vertical to the
              midpoint of one side - which is going to be the south-east facing one.

              Mounting it horizontally keeps it clear of the mains wiring, and there
              is no other metalwork up there. The roof is slate and the dividing
              walls red brick.

              Out of interest.Loading the 'shack ceiling loop' with the Mac causes
              no QRM/N to the PC or anything else - it is just that that loop is too
              'buried' inside the house.

              Graham