Re: [Smartuners] Re: Hello folks

  • David H. Hatch
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
      Stephen,

      Welcome to the group!

      How is your 9 foot whip mounted on your car and how to you feed it [Where is the coupler]?

      David H. Hatch - N9ZRT

      On May 26, 2010, at 8:04 PM, agentdurden2002 wrote:

      I'm located in the UK.
      IO82XV is the locator square for the main QTH.
      A reasonably RF quiet location. Good for SWL.

      The SG-230 is used at the base of a 20M vertical. The lower half is an aluminium pole and the upper half is fibreglass with a wire running up the centre.

      The unwell SG-231 is what I have in the car feeding a 9ft whip.

      The working SG-231 is my experimental coupler. It's currently hooked up to a horizontal loop, but it gets connected to just about anything that I want to try as an antenna.

      Stephen

    • agentdurden2002
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
        >How is your 9 foot whip mounted on your car and how to you feed it [Where is the coupler]?

        The whip is mounted on a 3/8 stud mount on a piece of angle iron which is bolted to the spare wheel carrier on the rear of the car.

        The coupler is inside the boot (trunk) and feeds the whip via a short run of rg58 coax. There's a choke on the coax just under the antenna.

        Ideally i'd like to mount the whip on the front bumper (fender) so that the height of the whip will be a little lower, but i've not come up with a workable solution yet.

        Stephen
      • David H. Hatch
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
          Stephen,

          Thanks for your description.

          We ran a 102 inch whip here as well, with an SG231 mounted on the trunk of the car. Worked extremely well.

          David H. Hatch - N9ZRT

          On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:53 AM, agentdurden2002 wrote:

          >How is your 9 foot whip mounted on your car and how to you feed it [Where is the coupler]?

          The whip is mounted on a 3/8 stud mount on a piece of angle iron which is bolted to the spare wheel carrier on the rear of the car.

          The coupler is inside the boot (trunk) and feeds the whip via a short run of rg58 coax. There's a choke on the coax just under the antenna.

          Ideally i'd like to mount the whip on the front bumper (fender) so that the height of the whip will be a little lower, but i've not come up with a workable solution yet.

          Stephen

        • g1ide
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
            Hi,

            SGC go to great pains to point out that under no circumstances should you attach coax to the output of the SG-231 - it just will not work.

            You can get away with it on the SG-211. By all means, strip the braid off the coax and use the inner to give you a high-voltage insulated wire from the boot to the base of the antenna - I've done just that and it worked fine.

            I own both tuners and have had no trouble with either of them by religiously following the instructions in the manual.

            73 - Stuart, m0sar / g1ide

            < snip >
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
              >By all means, strip the braid off the coax and use the inner to give >you a high-voltage insulated wire from the boot to the base of the >antenna - I've done just that and it worked fine.

              I've tried this. On 10M and 6M I got arcing to the car body where the wire passed under the rear door. The insulation doesn't seem very tolerant of being compressed.

              The coax has been fine for a number of years.

              Stephen