Just installed an under-eaves loop and SG-237

  • phil_stripling@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 9:39 PM
      and I'm confused. The manual appears to say just start talking to get the 237 to tune?

      The 237 is mounted under the eaves, the loop is connected to the two bolts, and the coax is fed in through the attic vent under the peak of the roof. It's three stories up, so I can't get to it easily at all. I'd like to make sure I'm using it correctly before I blow some circuits.

      The coax is connected to my TS-480, and the power is fed from the power supply that feeds the radio. I have no clue how to tell if it's working.

      May I just push the tune button on the radio? Would that get the tuner to tune? If the radio says it's tuned, the tuner did it's job?

      Not having feedback on the process is a problem for me, so I'm concerned about screwing up the radio and the 237.

      Phil
    • David H. Hatch
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5 4:04 AM
        Hi Phil...

        Try this...

        Turn on unit/radio
        Go to a new unused freq
        Watch SWR meter
        Whistle (Watch SWR drop)
        Whistle until it drops and holds (10-20 secs) then give your call sign
        Coupler will save that match to memory, next time you there and talk, it will find it in milliseconds (in most cases)
        Repeat on other freqs
        I find whistling more effective than talking to get the match faster.
        The manual speaks ofwhistling, I believe

        Dave N9ZRT

        Sent from my Windows Mobile® phone.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 5 5:03 AM
          Use the PF key. This will tx the rig @10w. The tuner will then tune with no need to whistle. Press PF again stop tx when tuned.

          I have a TS480 / SGC-230 tuner with a loop on the attic. Works fine for me.

          Using the SWR meter on the rig you can watch it tune.

          B/RGDS

          Peter

          N. Peter D. Service

          Message 4 of 8 , May 5 6:03 AM
            David and all,

            Man, you have just ruined my day!

            One should NEVER Whistle into a microphone to tune a radio unless it's on a dummy load and no one could possibly hear you.

            This is one of the absolute worse over the air operating practices there is. It's unprofessional, shows lack of proper training and at minimum very annoying to those that may hear it.  If they are giving this in a manual for instruction, the person who wrote it should be slapped silly.  Anyone that has heard this over the area can see where I am coming from.

            Better advise would be to go to the CW mode (with carrier insertion turned up enough) or the AM mode, reduce power and then key to tune.

            Whistling to tune is as Mickey mouse as it gets.  If you are tuning using this method, STOP IT!!!!

            Sincerely,

            Jim, K7WFR

            Message 5 of 8 , May 5 7:02 AM
              Jim,

              Your comment and coaching well received and appreciated.

              Sincerely,

              Message 6 of 8 , May 5 11:33 AM
                --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, NPD Service <ve9nps@...> wrote:

                > Use the PF key. This will tx the rig @10w. The tuner will then tune
                > with no need to whistle. Press PF again stop tx when tuned.

                I assume you've assigned TX Tune to your PF key? (Good ol' page 66 in the manual?)

                Sounds good to me. I'll give that a shot and make sure it works for me.

                Many thanks for all the helpful replies, guys!
              • phil_stripling@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 8 , May 5 11:49 AM
                  --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, NPD Service <ve9nps@...> wrote:

                  > Use the PF key.

                  Hi, Peter,

                  I just set my PF key to TX TUNE, and it worked! Many thanks. It took quite awhile on some bands, and it wouldn't tune on 160, but I'll take what I can get from my condo.
                • kav246
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5 11:58 AM
                    Dave and Group

                    Whilstling "tuner-uppers" have never bothered me unless they're actually disrupting a QSO. I don't care how anyone tunes on a clear frequency. In fact if I had to choose a noise source to be brought into law I'd say Bagpipes but thats just me.

                    As for "dead carriers" or "key downs" they're probably the worst suggestion of all. At least with a whistler most people can guess what you're up to.

                    To my mind these days there is only one logical method for initial setting up. That is to select one of the carrier based voice modes and repeatedly give your callsign (perhaps interspersed with "testing" or "tuning") until your desired solution is found.

                    In fact is that not the only method that meets licence requirements regarding identification of your transmissions?

                    The one thing I did notice is that although some people did say "give your callsign", I don't recall seeing anyone say "give your callsign FIRST!"

                    Kav