Re: OK,Guys...706MKIIG to SG237 question...

  • kirkcdl
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
      Thanks for the advice,and I am well aware of the product you refer to,but you didn't even address the question I asked in the first place...
      That particular product uses the Molex plug on the back of the radio,which is currently in use connected to the SG237...As stated in my post...
    • Stokes Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
        I use an interface that mimics an Icom tuner and works well. It was purchased from Ham Kits and is basically invisible, functionally automatically.

        Good Luck!

        Stokes WB4KST

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
          Kirkcdl

          I've been doing a lot of graft lately so my brain ain't exactly thinking straight but try as I might I couldn't find Icom molex wiring instructions in my PDF copy of the 237 manual.

          I will assume therefore that you simply have the 12v connected there (and maybe the "tuned" line if there's an input for that)?

          What I'm guessing you don't have is a line to fool the rig into thinking an AH4 is attached (because the 237 doesn't have one!) so you can safely press the tune button without damaging your rig as it simply won't transmit!

          The tune device others have kindly refered you to replaces part of the propriatory tuners circuitry (which convinces the radio that an Icom tuner is connected) and the button won't work without one or the other. The "dongle" activates the tune button circuitry and allows it to function as per the radio manual. I've only seen pictures of the commercial variant of these dongles and they don't appear to facilitate connection of the tuner DC line to the same socket.

          However, long before any of these devices appeared on the market there were instructions to do it yourself using 2 or 3 discreet components which did allow you to take the DC supply at the molex.

          So, if the molex connector is your only option to power the tuner then you will have to check the archives / google for this earlier tune device method and make one.

          If you have a squit at a manual for the later version of the 231 (thats the one with the "option" rather than "N/C" tags on the 8 pin skt) you will see that this model (and only this model) WILL function via the 706 tune button, without any extra "dongles", but only when correctly wired through the 706's 13 pin Accs port. I had mine like that for a while and it functioned very well however there is one caveat. That 13 pinner will go in upside down if you're stupid enough to hose it up in the dark (I was)and the tune function will never work again afterwards (heyho).

          So, If you need to power the tuner from the rig, want to use the tune button but don't have the wherewithall to do the DIY rig fooler, rewire the 237's DC only to the 706's Accs port (as per the 231 method), put a shop bought tuner dongle in the molex and press the tune button.

          If it doesn't work there'll be no TX and you won't damage your radio.

          If it does work the rig will change to ten watts cw, the tuner will find a match and you won't damage your radio.

          In fact if you stick a bit of wet string in the hole and transmit you probably won't damage the radio as it has an effective protection circuit just don't make a habbit of it.

          Of course you can always just forget the tune button and use the SGC method. I did find the button nicer while it worked but, once your tuner has a few memories stored, you'll find that it tunes automatically when you make a call in less time than it takes to aim an outstretched finger.

          Bite the bullet!

          You're a radio ham!!!

          EXPERIMENT!!!!!!!

          Regards

          Kav
        • Stokes Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010

            From the website....

            I do not receive kickbacks, I just like the product...and it works..

            Icom/Alinco Tuner Interface

            for Icom or Alinco Radios and SGC Tuners

            Model PTC-1 Tuner Control Interface - as originally described in the March 2004 QST, page 33.

                    *** NOW FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH IC-7000 ***

                    *** New firmware works with either the Icom or Alinco radios ***

                    *** New hardware works with SGC tuners using a single lock/reset line or separate lock and reset lines ***

            • Provides a bi-directional interface between an Icom or Alinco radio's tuner connector and an ™SGC Smartuner such as the model SG-237.
            • Supports single lock/reset line tuners such as the SG-230, SG-237, and SG-239.
            • Supports separate lock and reset line tuners such as the SG-231 and SG-235.
            • Supports any Icom radio designed to work with the Icom AH-3 or AH-4 tuner (IC-703, IC-706, IC-706MkIIg, IC-707, IC-718, IC-725, IC-728, IC-736, IC-738, IC-746, IC-746PRO, IC-756, IC-756PRO, IC-756PROII, IC-761, IC-765, IC775 and IC-7000).
            • Supports any Alinco radio designed to work with the Alinco EDX-2 tuner (DX-70T, DX-70TH, DX-77EQ, DX-77T, DX-701, and DX-707).
            • Uses a 14-pin PIC processor to make the SGC ™Smartuner emulate an Icom model AH-4 tuner.
            • Permits the full functioning of the IC-706MkIIg (and similar Icom radios) TUNE button and features.
            • The processor is in sleep mode during receive so that there is no potential for RFI to the radio.
            • All inputs and outputs have RFI filters to minimize the potential for RF getting into the control circuits.
            • Switches the SGC tuner into bypass (antenna connected directly to the radio) by a quick press of the radio's TUNE button or by changing bands on the radio (Icom radios only).
            • Starts the automatic tuning process by pressing the radio's TUNE button.
            • Permits the optional use of the radio's feature to automatically initiate tuning on the first microphone PTT press after a frequency change of 1% or more (Icom radios only).
            • Automatically cancels the radio's tune signal as soon as the ™Smartuner has found an acceptable match. Total "on the air" time is only about 500mS on frequencies in the tuner's memory and typically 2-4 seconds for new frequencies.
            • Notifies the radio when an acceptable match cannot be found so that the radio's TUNE button LED indicates the proper tuner status (Icom radios only).
            • Pressing the TUNE button while tuning immediately cancels the tune signal, puts the tuner in bypass, and resets the interface timers so that it is ready for the next tune command (Icom radios only).
            • When already tuned, pressing and holding the TUNE button for 2-seconds will force a complete re-tune without using the memory bin settings. The new match is then loaded into the memory bin for later use. Note: This is an undocumented function of the SG-237 which may not be available on other tuner models or future releases of the SG-237.
            • A LOCK switch on the interface optionally prevents the tuner from seeking a new match under conditions of varying SWR due to whip movement while in motion. This setting is temporarily disabled when tuning is requested by the radio.
            • A FAULT LED on the interface advises the operator when the tuner is not properly matched. This functions for both Icom and Alinco radios.
            • Both the interface and the tuner are powered via the radio's tuner connector. Power to these devices is controlled by the radio's on/off switch.
          • kirkcdl
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
              I've been looking at one of those.I posted an inquiry on QRZ as to anyone that has used one.No repsone there,you're the first...I'll have to take another look,any negatives??