Cable length

  • w8bc
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      I just received my new SG-237 today and am now considering what to do about the short length of the cable. Funny, I had not thought about this problem before. The 9ft length will not be long enough to get from the place I will mount the tuner to the rig. I would estimate I will need another 5 or 10 ft. I was just wondering if there was any common practice in extending the length of the cable? Is it generally best to use a barrel connector and simply plug in the Pl-259 from the tuner and add an appropriate length of coax, or what? I suppose I only need a two connector extension for the power cable since I don't assume I would ever use the smart lock. Or is there some other preferred way of splicing the coax cable?

      Bill
      W8BC
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
        I would just use a barrel connector of decent quality and cover the joint well with coax seal or self sealing electrical tape to keep weather out if it is exposed.

        From: "w8bc"
        Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:22:20 -0000
        To: <Smartuners@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Smartuners] Cable length

        I just received my new SG-237 today and am now considering what to do about the short length of the cable. Funny, I had not thought about this problem before. The 9ft length will not be long enough to get from the place I will mount the tuner to the rig. I would estimate I will need another 5 or 10 ft. I was just wondering if there was any common practice in extending the length of the cable? Is it generally best to use a barrel connector and simply plug in the Pl-259 from the tuner and add an appropriate length of coax, or what? I suppose I only need a two connector extension for the power cable since I don't assume I would ever use the smart lock. Or is there some other preferred way of splicing the coax cable?

        Bill
        W8BC

      • John G. Olson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi, Bill

          If you are buying cable for power, add the extra conductors for
          smart lock... I did and am glad. I am about to connect smart lock to
          prevent unnecessary/undesired tuning cycles. I suspect this is being
          caused by a bit of rf coming in on the power leads. Could be the wind
          moving the antenna? I have an SG-239 in a weather resistant plastic
          container (Wal-Mart plastic cereal box container) just 6 ft from the
          antenna feedpoint. Antenna is an HB9MTN "H-Pole" for 80-10. Not the
          greatest, but better than no antenna...

          John, W9JGO
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          w8bc wrote:

          > I just received my new SG-237 today and am now considering what to do
          > about the short length of the cable. Funny, I had not thought about
          > this problem before. The 9ft length will not be long enough to get
          > from the place I will mount the tuner to the rig. I would estimate I
          > will need another 5 or 10 ft. I was just wondering if there was any
          > common practice in extending the length of the cable? Is it generally
          > best to use a barrel connector and simply plug in the Pl-259 from the
          > tuner and add an appropriate length of coax, or what? I suppose I only
          > need a two connector extension for the power cable since I don't
          > assume I would ever use the smart lock. Or is there some other
          > preferred way of splicing the coax cable?
          >
          > Bill
          > W8BC

        • Willy
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2009
            I recommend a female connector on one end of the cable. this way there is only one contact resistance in stead of two with a barrel connector.
            73 Willy HB9WI