SG-237 Problem

  • Colin Lowe
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5 12:59 PM
      Help,

      Before I call SGC and arrange to send my SG-237 off for repair, I wonder if any of you have had the same problem I've got....

      My SG-237 has been working fine for the last year and then all of a sudden it won't tune my inverted L (63feet) with ground stake and several radials buried under ground. As I say it did work for about a year.

      When it wouldn't tune, I took the cover off and found that relay K9 had over heated around the area were the relay contact tips go through the relay base into the PCB. I removed the burnt relay and ordered a new one from SGC. I have now installed the replacement relay and still the tuner will not tune.

      When 12v is first applied to the tuner with no RF, relays K1,2,3,4 and K14 all energise and stay closed while 12v is applied to the 12v and GND terminals. Is this correct?

      The 5 LED's on the PCB all flicker on for about 10ms and then remain off, no matter if I apply RF or not. Is this correct?

      When I apply RF (40w AM) there is no clicking of any relays and the SWR remains in the red with no drop in SWR after several seconds (15 secs),

      When the tuner failed I was using PSK31 and may well have had the RF output on my radio a bit high and this maybe the cause of the failure.

      The PCB and all components all look visually well with no signs of a problem.

      I've done the light bulb (dummy load) test and with 12v applied to the tuner I get the bulb to light as I talk on SSB. Then when I remove the 12v supply and do the same test the bulb stays off.

      I'm looking forward to any pointers on this one before I decide to ship it back to the USA for repair.

      73 de Colin
      G1IVG.
    • David H Hatch
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6 4:08 AM
        Hi Colin,

        No replies to your good question. Let’s run it through the hopper a second
        time. Boys, anyone have any pointers for Colin?

        -----------------

[...]

      • Jennifer Bond
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6 8:45 AM
          --- In Smartuners@yahoogroups.com, "David H Hatch" <dhatch@...> wrote:

          > Hi Colin,
          >
          > No replies to your good question. Let's run it through the hopper a second
          > time. Boys, anyone have any pointers for Colin?
          >
          > -----------------

          Well I'm not a boy and wish people would be more sensitive to the fact that we're trying to bring women into this hobby as well as boys before it dies, having sexist statements intentional or not don't help in this effort.

          Moving on..... it sounds like it needs a trip to SGC, if for nothing else, to ensure that you don't have any other issues going on (components about to fail if you replaced the relay). I've been down that replace one component then another one blows road and it adds up.. better to get it into the ER and have the docs who are famililar with it fix it all in one swoop.

          73
          Jennifer (not a boy) Bond
          VE7OTH, KB6JEN
          Formerly VE7JOD, VK2WD, KD7KFQ
        • Colin Lowe
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6 3:06 PM
            I've now had change to poke around with my meter and have found D1 Shorted and D2 and D3 open. All other diodes and Q1 test OK, so it looks like I've blown D1, 2 & 3.

            These are SMT devices and from what I can see printed on the package they are all "SD9" I have looked here in the UK but can't find "SD9" diodes anywhere. By chance do you know of an equivalent and also I have read that some users have replaced these with 1N4148 diodes and got there tuners working again, however I've not heard of this being done with an SG-237.

            Thanks to Davis and also Jennifer for you replies, I will keep you all posted on my progress in getting this SG-237 back in working order.

            73 de Colin
            G1IVG

            Message 5 of 5 , May 7 11:13 AM
              It's working again :)

              I salvaged three SMT diodes from and old PCB that were also labelled SD9 and replaced the three faulty ones in my SG-237. These were D1, D2 and D3.

              I did some research online and found that "SD" is the important bit of the package label and the "9" is just the country of manufacture.

              Thanks for the help to those who replied via the group and those who e-mailed direct.

              73 de Colin G1IVG