Re: [Smartuners] A CRAZY WINDOM ANTENNA IDEA

  • Dr. Esteban Andrés Wilson, XE1UFO
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009

      Dear Friends:

      I have a crazy antenna idea rolling around in my brain. Maybe I had too much vanilla cappuccino today, or spent far too many hours on our Mexican roads!

      We will be moving back to our home in San Juan del Río in a few months.  Our lot is a long snake: 52 meters (170.6 feet) long by 10 meters (32.8 feet) wide. The East end exiting to the street is the narrow one, and the shack is at the extreme opposite (West) end of the property.

      The idea is to make a sort of “Windom” or off-center-fed dipole. The short arm (nearest the shack) would be 41.5 feet long. The long arm would be 96.5 feet long. (These appear to be the most common 80-10 meter Windom measurements. Suggestions accepted!) Here is the twist: Instead of a feed-line up to the feed-point and the 4:1 or 6:1 balun, use a 12-meter length of 1” copper tubing as the feed line. No balun, nor coax. This length is 5/8ths wavelength on 20 meters. The pipe would also double (with proper non-conducting guy ropes, of course!) as a support for the antenna. The whole shooting match would be bottom-fed directly from my SG-230 autotuner, and also, of course, have several nice counterpoise wires and the property’s all-copper water lines tied in.

      I have even considered having TWO wires on each side, like a fan dipole.  I am also considering a static bleed resistor in parallel with the feed point. Maybe 1 MegaOhm?

      I want to use this contraption on 160 through ten meters. Any ideas? Can somebody model this for me?

      Thanks in advance for your input!

      Steve, XE1UFO a.k.a. KA5SUT

    • Callum m0mcx
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009

        You’ve designed a vertical with a capacitance hat.  Not pleasant in my opinion.

        Use coax with a wooden fibreglass support if you need to get it higher and maintain traditional inverted V, Dipole / Doublet / OCF Windom principles since you have the lot size.

        Cheers,

        Callum McCormick

        http://www.m0mcx.co.uk/