SG-237 won't match for 160m and 80m

  • SPAUL
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2007
      Yesterday I put up a temporary/portable dipole that sits only 20' above
      ground for NVIS on 80m . Legs are 61.5' each. There is a slight slope
      and the legs are angled slightly at about 140°, this is as close to 180°
      as I can get, do to the location of the trees available. The tuner is
      close to the feed point , about two feet. I am using an IC-7000 and the
      SG-237. Everything tunes up perfectly except when I go to 80M or 160.
      The SWR meter pegs when speaking, but stays around 1:1 when just keying
      the mike.

      I have set the mode to RTTY and between 2-5watts to get it to tune I
      have tried SSB at 2-5 watts and no change it still does not tune. It is
      acting like the transceiver is shutting down before the coupler can get
      a match. I have also tried setting the power down to 50 watts from 100
      no help. This is puzzling as I have not had this issue when using the
      coupler on an end fed random wire.
      Could something have failed in the coupler. Or is there a way to stop
      the transceiver from shutting down before the couple makes a match?

      Thanks
      KE7HAS
      Big Timber, Montana
    • David H Hatch
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2007
        Hi KE7HAS, de N9ZRT, Dave, Green Bay. Let me comment in brackets, inside
        your text…

        Yesterday I put up a temporary/portable dipole that sits only 20' above
        ground for NVIS on 80m . Legs are 61.5' each [Try making the SF-Ground side
        longer, say, 6 feet longer than the RF-Hot side]. There is a slight slope
        and the legs are angled slightly at about 140°, this is as close to 180° as
        I can get, do to the location of the trees available [That should not be a
        factor]. The tuner is close to the feed point , about two feet [Are you
        feeding the antenna with ladder line from the coupler? Not coax, is that
        correct?]. I am using an IC-7000 and the SG-237. Everything tunes up
        perfectly except when I go to 80M or 160. The SWR meter pegs when speaking,
        but stays around 1:1 when just keying the mike [It would be interesting to
        be near the coupler and listen for it trying to find a match].

        I have set the mode to RTTY and between 2-5watts to get it to tune I
        have tried SSB at 2-5 watts and no change it still does not tune. It is
        acting like the transceiver is shutting down before the coupler can get
        a match [Or, the coupler may be struggling to find a match, but cannot in
        the time given it, or tries and tries and tries, showing no progress on the
        SWR meter]. I have also tried setting the power down to 50 watts from 100 no
        help. This is puzzling as I have not had this issue when using the coupler
        on an end fed random wire. Could something have failed in the coupler. Or is
        there a way to stop the transceiver from shutting down before the couple
        makes a match? [Summary: I would lengthen the RF-Ground side of the dipole
        and check back with us].

        Sincerely,

        Dave
      • SPAUL
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2007
          OK Thanks Dave, I will add six ' to the ground sde and retest.
          Yes I am using homemade ladder line spaced about 1.5"