RE: [Smartuners] base mount sg 303

  • David H Hatch
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Didier F4FFX,

      No takers on your question.

      Anyone have an SG-303? Willing to advise him?

      Dave-N9ZRT

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        David H Hatch wrote:

        > Hi Didier F4FFX,
        >
        > No takers on your question.
        >
        > Anyone have an SG-303? Willing to advise him?
        >
        > Dave-N9ZRT
        >
        >Not enough info to get advice.
        Is the problem with the mounting base ore the 303?
        I do not know why he is disassembling it in the first place.
        There is no coil in the mounting base.
        There is a insulator.
        If the wire is to short a extension can be splice on.
        Yes , I do not own a 303 and base.
        I use a home build equivalent.
        The 303/base unit works the a SGC tuner.
        dale
      • kav
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          > The wire is too short and i would like to dismantle the base mount, is
          > it possible ?
          > What kind of material can i use to avoid to destroy the base ?
          > I already dismantle the coil from the base but the low part is stuck.
          > Thank you for infos in advance.
          > 73's Didier F4FFX.

          Hi Didier

          I think I understood what you meant!

          I expect the coil you speak of is the rubber coated spring and you
          wish to dismantle the mount to fit a longer feed wire.

          The "stuck" section is just an insulator and is fixed with some
          locking compound. Just hold it in a vice, wrapped to stop marking,
          and unscrew the metal mount from it.

          The center bolt is held in with silicon and just knocks out then you
          have to "persuade" the washer to follow it whilst feeding through the
          rf hot wire.

          Check out the photos here (SG303 mount demisteified) to see one in bits!

          Regards
        • didier
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hi Kav and all here,
            you understood what i want to do.
            Now i'm sure that's possible to dismantle the mount to change the feed wire
            without problem.
            As it's stuck i didn't want to destroy something before to have some
            details...
            These pics help me a lot and i thank you for your help.
            73's from Didier F4FFX.

            >> The wire is too short and i would like to dismantle the base mount, is
            >> it possible ?
            >> What kind of material can i use to avoid to destroy the base ?
            >> I already dismantle the coil from the base but the low part is stuck.
            >> Thank you for infos in advance.
            >> 73's Didier F4FFX.
            >
            > Hi Didier
            >
            > I think I understood what you meant!
            >
            > I expect the coil you speak of is the rubber coated spring and you
            > wish to dismantle the mount to fit a longer feed wire.
            >
            > The "stuck" section is just an insulator and is fixed with some
            > locking compound. Just hold it in a vice, wrapped to stop marking,
            > and unscrew the metal mount from it.
            >
            > The center bolt is held in with silicon and just knocks out then you
            > have to "persuade" the washer to follow it whilst feeding through the
            > rf hot wire.
            >
            > Check out the photos here (SG303 mount demisteified) to see one in bits!

            > Regards
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • kav
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              No problem Didier

              I'm sure it was this group that pointed me in the right direction
              initially.

              The hardest part will be finding suitable wire. Strip some of the
              original to see what type you need. SGC et alle say you can use the
              centre from RG8 coax but it is very rigid. Ordinary insulated wire is
              only good if it doesn't pass near any metalwork. I found some in my
              own shop which may work but I haven't tried it yet. It is HT cable
              made by VOLEX and is meant for electronic spark ignition on a
              commercial heating boiler. It resembles auto sparkplug cable but has
              real copper core and no carbon.

              The way these mounts work I'd say the insulation is almost more
              important than the conductor. If you intend to run through metalwork
              to inside a vehicle even SGC used to use rubber hose as extra
              insulation as well as a bulkhead gland.

              However you do it good luck and prepare to look cool when mobile!

              Regards