Antenna Success, well sort of .........

  • James Glenn Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Greetings to all

      Being in an apartment I had to come up with something creative.
      What I made is a 12' painter pole with a 102" CB whip on top. I hold
      the pole up with 3 guy ropes. I placed 3 16' radial wires down each
      guy rope. I have this beast about 20' from my apartment building.
      The coax is 100' of Belden RG8x connected to my SG-239 tuner. My rig
      is an FT-897 putting out 100w. During Feild Day I worked 12 contacts
      in 12 states on 20m and 1 contact on 40m. The antenna does function.
      Much better than the 40m hamstick dipole I used to use.

      Here is my question. A friend of mine has an SG tuner in his car. He
      works 20m, 40m and 80m with no sweat using an SG-2020 running 20w. I
      assume this had something to do with his car body being a good
      counterpoise. Is there anything I possibly can do to raise my 40m
      performance? More radials? Longer Radials?

      73 and thanks

      Jim - ke4iza
    • Michael Edelman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- James Glenn Jr <hamradioman@...> wrote:

        ... 3 16' radial wires down each
        guy rope.

        ...The coax is 100' of Belden RG8x connected to my
        SG-239 tuner....Is there anything I possibly can do to
        raise my 40m
        performance?

        Put the tuner at the feedpoint, for starters.

        73 de W8MJE

        --------------------------
        Michael Edelman
        mje@...
        http://foldingkayaks.org
        http://findascope.com
        http://kittysaysmoo.com
      • Carl GW0TQM
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2005
          I assume the whip is insulated from the pole and you are feeding at the
          base of the whip and the top end of the radials?

          Putting the tuner at the feed point would be best- but a bit visible.
          If yoiu could run a wire directly from the base of the antenna (forget
          the radials)
          as close to the tuner as possible and away from ground - then terminate
          it with a short a piece of quality coax possible - connecting the
          distant coax braid to
          a set of counterpoises one for each desired band run along tyhe ground.
          That might be worthwhile. Would increase the electrical length of your
          whip at least.