For Those Interested...

  • Jim Main
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 12:27 PM
      ...in what i publish and what I have available, check out my website at
      www.mainenterprises.ecrater.com.
      Thanks---
      Grim Jim
    • Allen Freeman
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2 1:04 PM

        Hey JIM is the Doc Savage Mag out yet?
        I haven’t gotten them (one for me, one for the artist I worked with on the cover.).

        Just curious.

        Allen Freeman

        6668 Waterford Pl

        Owensboro, KY 42303

        By the way our power came back (after 4 days) on Sunday morning and we were able to move back into our house.

        (You did hear about the huge ice storm in Kentucky, right?)

      • jmain44@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3 11:21 AM
          Allen-Your copies were sent awhile ago, but it may have been to a different address, now that I see the address you posted here!
          GJ

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4 6:58 AM
            Jim,

            The comics look good...the site is a little unfriendly though.  It's hard to navigate.  Not horrible, but a bit annoying.  Maybe you want us to work for the treasure?  ;)

            Shawn

            "Cultivating Good Books"

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4 7:33 AM
              Very curious how silent everyone is on here.  Are you all on another group somewhere?

              With Diamond raising the min. higher than many Big 5 books get, there is very little room for Indy books.  How many of us have gotten 1500+ book orders?  (you've got to sell $2500 wholesale)   And those of that have (I've luckily done this with trades & the first couple issues of my floppies)...how long can you keep it up?  I am guessing for issue #1 of a highly promoted book...maybe #2.

              Haven is a questionable, but hopeful, replacement for Diamond.  So far I've sent them a few books but haven't heard much from them at all.  I'm not holding out hope.

              There's Dimestore.  We all love Iain, but resources of one guy can be tight.  And I'm not 100% sure I can believe in a grassroots distribution.  I think you've got to have some force (read $$) behind any true push into distribution.  Dimestore would be there tomorrow I think with one Angel investor...but in this economy will that happen?

              So what are you guys doing?

              I'm personally re-adjusting a bit.  Cutting out singles with a vengence.  I love them and every month I think I'll do something again to get a single or two out....then I remember how much work it is just to edit and that effort is better used elsewhere.  I'm starting promoting Volume 2 of Family Bones which won't come out until late 2009/early 2010.  I'm just now trying to build a plan.  CBG advertising is cheap, Project Wonderful, but I'm still looking for more.  I have never had any luck in the comic book work trying to get my artists interviewed...so I may focus more on the regular press.  Anyone know of any good (cheap) advertising I can waste some time & money on?

              Shawn

              "Cultivating Good Books"

            • Eric Mullarky
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4 8:25 AM
                I have been following discussions regarding the new Diamond minimums on a few other forums.  I think it is a very valid discussion to have with this group.

                I had been trying to get Elemental Fources into Previews for many months, but with these changes there probably isn't even a point.  I have been actively working with Haven and Enemi Entertainment.  I am with CBG and have had a review in the magazine.  I am using Project Wonderful.  The books are on Dimestore (listed as "Not in Stock" even though Ian has had copies for months).  I am even listed on Amazon.  So far... nothing.
                Our next three issues of Elemental Fources are ready to be sent to the printer.  I am looking at all my options for that.  But I am sitting on a huge stock of issue #1-3 already that are not going anywhere.  Should I just put everything in a trade and forget about putting the remaining issues out in floppy form?  Should I go the floppies route and hope that a compete 6-issue mini-series will draw interest?  Or, another possibility would be to go the trade route, but make the individual issues available via POD like Ka-Blam.  That would make the stock I already have utterly useless.  Any ideas/suggestions?

                Eric Mullarky
                New Baby Productions

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4 9:15 AM
                  Eric,

                  I feel your pain.

                  In addressing your particular issue, my first question is "Is this an all-ages book?"  What is the target audience?  I'll be more particular in the "hows" after you answer that.  I'll be glad to help.  And you should know, there is hope.  You've got a great product, I think we all need to work together (Indy creators...not just this group) to help sell our work.

                  Eric's issue is another example of what I've been seeing, Direct Market may be on death's door as far as the Indy market is concerned.  Not comic book stores per say, but you'll need to somehow find out who your audience is...which stores buy your work...and sell directly to them.  And then spend all your $$ and focus elsewhere.

                  I think it's a perfect time to see some movement into the direct market, but is it worth it?
                  Shawn

                  "Cultivating Good Books"

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4 9:52 AM
                    Thanks for the response Shawn.  I appreciate any words of wisdom you can throw my way.

                    To answer you questions, Elemental Fources is not for all ages.  Due to graphic depictions of violence and some suggestive material, I would only recommend this series for teens and adults.  The series has a mix of influences from superheroes to the occult and fantasy, so I think that EF would cater to a broad spectrum of fans.  My writer, Crisman Strunk, once commented that it’s "like Hellboy™ getting thrown in the Marvel™ universe" and I think that fits perfectly.  Although only touched upon in the initial story, future plans are to integrate some family-issue plots around the superheroics, similar to Invincible, Noble Causes, or Dynamo5.  So my target auduience is anyone who enjoys any of those series.

                    Eric Mullarky
                    New Baby Productions

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4 10:32 AM
                      Yes it took me a few times to figure out the navigation. Not all books seem to be listed either. Only 39 mags are listed in total.

                      Laurence P. D.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4 10:36 AM
                        I'm in the transition stage of trying to relocate. I had an apartment fire in the unit next to mine which damaged my kitchen area and my electric and wiring. I've been busy re-examing my priorities in life. But I still love comics just haven't really had any time to focus on my hobby of late.

                        Laurence P. D.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4 10:48 AM
                          well, it seems to work fine for MANY others and I do very well with it. As I have said before, it's what i have available in stock...all others are SOLD OUT!
                          GJ

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4 11:55 AM
                            Here's a link to a column written by a leading retailer about his feelings regarding Diamonds changing their policies:

                            http://comics212.net/2009/02/04/the-diamond-post/

                            It's nice to see that some retailers are just as mad at Diamond as publishers are.  Sad to know that, in the end, neither will make a bit of difference.

                            sam!

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 4 1:34 PM
                              Sam...awesome article.  Thanks for sharing.

                              Shawn

                              "Cultivating Good Books"

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 4 1:39 PM
                                I'm old and nearsighted.  I cannot find a cat in a paper bag.  Didn't mean to get your dander up, if you're looking for some opinions then I'd make it a bit more friendly to us handicapped folk.  The books look great.

                                And you might want to put a list of sold out items/retired stuff.  If I know that I could miss something I'm more likely to buy it now.

                                Shawn

                                "Cultivating Good Books"

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4 3:57 PM
                                  I don't understand your response. Why did you you say something about getting my "dander up?'
                                  That was the furthest thing from the truth. I was just giving you an explanation as to why certain books were not listed.
                                  GJ

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4 4:21 PM
                                    Sorry...the caps threw me off.  I thought you were yelling.  ;)

                                    Shawn

                                    "Cultivating Good Books"

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4 4:28 PM
                                      No, I wasn't yelling, just pointing something out.
                                      Gj