Paperback Reader Interview and Review of Family Bones #2

  • Shawn Granger
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006

      I have stopped sending every single review or interview.  We have had over 10 in just the last week alone...but this new column at Paperback Reader was pretty cool so I thought I'd share.

      Shawn

    • walkingmancomics@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
        Hey--nice interview Shawn!
        Matt
        --
        Walking Man Comics
        words, music, pictures

        From: Shawn Granger <shawnrgranger@...>
      • Shawn Granger
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
          --- walkingmancomics@... wrote:
          Thanks....I'm hoping they go back and reformat it.
          It's kind of hard to follow as is.

          > Hey--nice interview Shawn!
          > Matt
          > --
          > Walking Man Comics
          > words, music, pictures
          > comics' hardest-working poet
          > 10 years of monthly publication!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • scultoreeterno
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
            Hello,

            New to the group, but wanting to put my name in for Comet Tales.
            Sounds intertesting.

            Jason Gillespie
            387 Morris Ave. #3
            Summit, NJ 07901

            Thanks,
            Jason Gillespie

            --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "thecomicist" <jpack@...> wrote:

            > Hey guys and gals,
            > Let's do some small press comics! Comet Tales Magazine is opening
            it's subscription base to
            > 30 more people. No charge. Comet Tales Magazine is the only comic
            book/magazine that
            > isn't for sale and never will be. If you want to join the regular
            readers of "Major Revenge",
            > "The Martian Cat". and that cat chick at "The Incident at the Bar",
            you gotta send me your
            > mailing address. (If you want to send a buck, or, your recent
            inheritance, that's up to you. I'm
            > easily bought.) You will begin receiving "Comet Tales" with issue
            #19. When we reach a
            > subscription base of 100+, it will stop because that's way beyond my
            budget. After all, I don't
            > make any money off this deal. I just love to publish Small (Micro?)
            Press Comics.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
              Hey, welcome, Jason--

              Tell a little about yerself, and if y'make comics, a little about'm?
              thanks,
              Matt

              From: "scultoreeterno" <scultoreeterno@...>
              Hello,

              New to the group, but wanting to put my name in for Comet Tales.
              Sounds intertesting.

              Jason Gillespie
              387 Morris Ave. #3
              Summit, NJ 07901

              Thanks,
              Jason Gillespie

              --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "thecomicist" <jpack@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys and gals,
              > Let's do some small press comics! Comet Tales Magazine is opening
              it's subscription base to
              > 30 more people. No charge. Comet Tales Magazine is the only comic
              book/magazine that
              > isn't for sale and never will be. If you want to join the regular
              readers of "Major Revenge",
              > "The Martian Cat". and that cat chick at "The Incident at the Bar",
              you gotta send me your
              > mailing address. (If you want to send a buck, or, you r recent
              inheritance, that's up to you. I'm
              > easily bought.) You will begin receiving "Comet Tales" with issue
              #19. When we reach a
              > subscription base of 100+, it will stop because that's way beyond my
              budget. After all, I don't
              > make any money off this deal. I just love to publish Small (Micro?)
              Press Comics.

              > See ya in the funnies!
              >
              > Jim Pack
              > (The Comicist)

            • Jason Gillespie
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                Matt,

                I really have only contributed to a couple of books. One was an issue
                of the shortlived ParaTroop comic book, and a story for the now
                defunct Blue Moon Comics. (I'm not sure if that story saw print before
                its demise?!) A whole lot of speculative work that has never seen the
                light of day, etc.. I have developed a number of characters/ideas,
                but had never had the impetus to go beyond my own drawings/conceptual
                artwork. (One is a golden age character removed to the present day
                and forced into an ideological collision with the 21st century
                another is a disillusioned government remote viewer) As I said, I
                would like to become more active in the fandom/zine scene now. (That
                is subject to the demands of graduate school, however.) Maybe I'll be
                able to develop some of them in the future. The self-publication
                route becomes more attractive as time passes.

                There is no denying it though, I do love comics. I enjoy old classics
                like Little Nemo in Slumberland, Flash Gordon, The Spirit, as much as
                the newer classics like Watchmen, The Incal, and Hellboy. I gravitate
                towards heroes over slice of life...not excluding horror and science
                fiction. The sequential medium is a great one and I only wish we
                understood it better(culturally)here in America the way they do in
                Europe and Japan. I think that Scott McCloud had a lot of good points
                about the possible future of the form....at least as it is realized
                here in our country. Luckly, the web has turned the industry on its
                ear and made the playing field more level in terms of
                marketing/distribution. That enuff?

                Jason

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Thanks, Jason--
                  My apologies:  I replied to your first post without going through the rest of my email, only later to find your very complete introduction-- thanks for doin' it again!
                  I'll check out your stuff, too, this weekend.  Can't let ol' shawn get all the good looks, y'know.
                  best wishes,
                  Matt

                  Oh, yeah:  me:  just finished 10 years' monthly publication of a mini-comic series, well, two actually, sort of alternating months, "Musicomics" and "Walking Man Comics Presents" which are essays into poetic expression coupled with comics design.  Uh-hunh....--!  anyway, thanks again for the double reply--sounds like we may share similar tastes in graphics literature (ahem)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006

                    Check out Dave Baxter's review of Alecto: Songbook over at Broken Frontier.

                    "So far, Alecto is hands-down the most promising product released by King Tractor Press, and this is from the guy who’s absolutely digging (pun intended) Family Bones. It’s a high compliment to publisher Shawn Granger for selecting out such a strong and solid work to be a part of his company’s first volley of releases. Alecto is very good comics, of the quality you’d expect from leading indy publishers such as Oni or Dark Horse, and packaged into one hefty 68-page, single-shot monster, it’s worth every penny. And from the masterful handling of the vast field of subplots still yet to be dealt with by the final page, it appears the following books will be of equal caliber, if not better (practice does makes perfect). Anyone riding high on the recent action-fantasy resurgence should fall quickly for this diamond in the rough. Alecto is definitely one of – if not the – best of the bunch."

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • jpack@fuse.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2006
                      Okay Jason, you asked for it. Comet Tales is the smallest micro press comic around and it doesn't deserve your readership, but, I got your address and #19 will be out sometime during the summer. See ya in the funnies.

                      --- scultoreeterno <scultoreeterno@...> wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > New to the group, but wanting to put my name in for Comet Tales.
                      > Sounds intertesting.
                      >
                      > Jason Gillespie
                      > 387 Morris Ave. #3
                      > Summit, NJ 07901
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Jason Gillespie
                      >
                      > --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "thecomicist" <jpack@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey guys and gals,
                      > > Let's do some small press comics! Comet Tales Magazine is opening
                      > it's subscription base to
                      > > 30 more people. No charge. Comet Tales Magazine is the only comic
                      > book/magazine that
                      > > isn't for sale and never will be. If you want to join the regular
                      > readers of "Major Revenge",
                      > > "The Martian Cat". and that cat chick at "The Incident at the Bar",
                      > you gotta send me your
                      > > mailing address. (If you want to send a buck, or, your recent
                      > inheritance, that's up to you. I'm
                      > > easily bought.) You will begin receiving "Comet Tales" with issue
                      > #19. When we reach a
                      > > subscription base of 100+, it will stop because that's way beyond my
                      > budget. After all, I don't
                      > > make any money off this deal. I just love to publish Small (Micro?)
                      > Press Comics.
                      > >
                      > > See ya in the funnies!
                      > >
                      > > Jim Pack
                      > > (The Comicist)
                      > >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jason Gillespie
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2006
                        Jim,

                        If it is a comic it at least deserves my attention for that one fact.
                        I look forward to checking it out. Thanks.

                        Jason