Re: Comic Book Supplies

  • Floydman
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
      I was looking for backing boards and bags online and I first checked
      Mile High Comics....but found it cheaper to get them off ebay....I
      think I paid about 20 bucks for 100 thick magazine size bags and
      boards (half of that was shipping though.

      --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Granger
      <shawnrgranger@...> wrote:

      > I was thinking this past weekend that I need to find a good supply
      of comic bags, backings, and boxes. I'm not sure that buying them
      at the comic shop is the best idea...then again, my needs aren't
      huge so maybe it is? Anyone get supplies wholesale from anyone?

      > Hope you are up soon Ian....it definitely seems like a time to
      switch hosting sites.

      > Shawn
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using
      Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

    • Shawn Granger
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
        Wow...that's expensive. That's .20 extra per book.
        I've found a few sites that offer free shipping at
        $100. Which in bulk would get a bagged/boarded book
        less than $.10 extra each. I'm hoping to find a way
        to get it closer to .05.

        Shawn

        --- Floydman <blackmirth@...> wrote:

        > I was looking for backing boards and bags online and
        > I first checked
        > Mile High Comics....but found it cheaper to get them
        > off ebay....I
        > think I paid about 20 bucks for 100 thick magazine
        > size bags and
        > boards (half of that was shipping though.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Shawn Granger
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
          Devil Water #1 just got reviewed on Broken Frontier.

          "The creative team on Devil Water truly has taken a
          bundle of odd components and created a mixture that is
          an enjoyment to read. Engaging and fun with more than
          a hint of mystery to keep the reader coming back for
          more; this title promises to turn the wild west into
          the weird west...and that is a very good thing."
          Review by Tonya Crawford, posted March 30, 2006

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
            http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/details.php?id=697

            I forgot to add the link. Whoops!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Floydman
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
              well, I don't really need that many....and it was just easier to get
              them right away with no hassle....it's the shipping that's killing
              me though..

              <shawnrgranger@...> wrote:

              > Wow...that's expensive. That's .20 extra per book.
              > I've found a few sites that offer free shipping at
              > $100. Which in bulk would get a bagged/boarded book
              > less than $.10 extra each. I'm hoping to find a way
              > to get it closer to .05.
              >
              > Shawn
              >
              > --- Floydman <blackmirth@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I was looking for backing boards and bags online and
              > > I first checked
              > > Mile High Comics....but found it cheaper to get them
              > > off ebay....I
              > > think I paid about 20 bucks for 100 thick magazine
              > > size bags and
              > > boards (half of that was shipping though.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Shawn Granger
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2006
                For bags, boards and boxes the shipping can be higher
                than DOUBLE the cost! It's crazy. That is why I'm
                doing the $100 FREE SHIPPING thing...I think that even
                if I cannot use them all (which I probably can), I can
                sell them at cost to other small press people. Isn't
                there anyone else near you and you both could go in
                together? That way you wouldn't have to spend $100
                yourself.

                Shawn

                --- Floydman <blackmirth@...> wrote:

                > well, I don't really need that many....and it was
                > just easier to get
                > them right away with no hassle....it's the shipping
                > that's killing
                > me though..

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Shawn Granger
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Not hardly...but do these two pages cross the line for the PG 13 crowd?  I'm wondering what to expect...I won't change it, just want to be prepared.

                  Still...I'd love some opinions.

                  Shawn

                • Heather O'Neil
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                    Hi Shawn. I'm a Mom at the liberal end of things and I would have no
                    problems with the illustrations. My friend Marylynn took a look and damn
                    near croaked on the spot. She has a soon to be 13 year old male. I think
                    she rather shelters the kids though.

                    Heather

                    >From: Shawn Granger <shawnrgranger@...>
                    >To: SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [SmallPressPalaver] So do you think this is as bad a one of
                    >Philip's pornos?
                    >Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >Not hardly...but do these two pages cross the line for the PG 13 crowd?
                    >I'm wondering what to expect...I won't change it, just want to be prepared.
                    >
                    > http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/tvoice/FamilyBones/P12.jpg
                    > http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/tvoice/FamilyBones/P13.jpg
                    >
                    > Still...I'd love some opinions.
                    >
                    > Shawn
                    >

                    >---------------------------------
                    >New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save
                    >big.
                  • shawnrgranger
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                      --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "Heather O'Neil"
                      <diamyst@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Shawn. I'm a Mom at the liberal end of things and I would
                      have no
                      > problems with the illustrations. My friend Marylynn took a look
                      and damn
                      > near croaked on the spot. She has a soon to be 13 year old male.
                      I think
                      > she rather shelters the kids though.

                      Thanks for the response. The story is really meant for a early
                      teen/adult. Strangely enough, the horror/violence/gore probably
                      won't offend too many people, the responses to that wasn't bad...but
                      the teenage love might. And the fact that it's not fantasy, but
                      based on actual events might offend some by it's very nature. But I
                      was really curious about these pages. Written on the page it seemed
                      very innocent, but after I saw the art I had second thoughts. It is
                      definitely not for a sheltered kid since they might not be able to
                      handle the fact that other kids don't live in the same kind of
                      shelters. ;)

                      Thanks again!

                      Shaw
                    • Dreamchilde Press
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                        Re: [SmallPressPalaver] So do you think this is as bad a one of Philip's pornos? That's nothing. Why, I saw this comic with this naked chick wearing a strap on. It...

                        ..oh, never mind. Just call me the porn king.

                        PC

                        on 4/4/06 9:46 AM, Shawn Granger at shawnrgranger@... wrote:

                        Not hardly...but do these two pages cross the line for the PG 13 crowd?  I'm wondering what to expect...I won't change it, just want to be prepared.

                        http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/tvoice/FamilyBones/P12.jpg

                        http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/tvoice/FamilyBones/P13.jpg

                        Still...I'd love some opinions.

                        Shawn

                        New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman6/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>  and save big.

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • walkingmancomics@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
                          Hi,

                          Sorry to be slow in answering; had to spend some time with a fix-it service to get my email working properly (man I HOPE so) again.

                          but do these two pages cross the line for the PG 13 crowd?

                          Probably not; but I gotta admit, the panel with the girl's tits hanging over the panel border?  Man I still laugh just to think about it:  pretty silly, if y'ask me:  pandering, really, in my mind.  Again, we don't have any dialogue to distract us or explain ("hey gull--getcher tits back in th'panel, hear?") so it's pretty much just as is...  so:  this's a true story, hunh?  Sigh--guess I just never had a girl friend with tits that hung over a panel border.  Say!  Y'think I'm a little too hung up (heh...so to speak) about this?  suppose I could be.  But Shawn?  It's gotta be one of the funniest panels I've seen in a long time.  Um, sorry 'bout that, man.  Heh. Heh heh.  Hahahahhaha!

                          Oh.  The other thing:  I keep trying to get my teeth to hang over my lips like those on that same page-- that's hard t'do, man!  True story vampire?  Whoa--hack/slash review, but yer gettin' useta'm hunh.  Ah well; my simple child's opinion from the clear blue sky.  (ten points for anyone's memory from where THAT movie line comes from....)

                          Matt

                          --
                          Walking Man Comics
                          words, music, pictures
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
                            Heh...I hope people have your reaction.  It's supposed to be a light moment.  I tried hard to make sure that the sick/dark stuff is countered quickly with a laugh.  Cause that's how it was for me.  Strange...but that's life.

                            Thanks!

                            Shawn