Welcome to SMALL PRESS PALAVER!!!

  • SmallPressFan
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 14, 2005
      Greetings...

      And welcome to SMALL PRESS PALAVER!!!

      Welcome

      What is Small Press Palaver?

      It all basically boils down to the fact that I have wanted (for quite some time now) to find an easy to access, no hassle online website where people can post and discuss their small press activities and interests. Being a fan of self-published comics and zines, I actually started pondering starting this website as soon as I stumbled across the Yahoo! groups a few years back, but I didn't feel truly confident enough to create SPP until just recently. So, after years of pointless procrastination, I have finally decided that it's time that I stopped just thinking about it and actually did it.

      Anyway, I have several goals/hopes for ways that people will use this Yahoo! group, some of which include:

      * to exchange ideas & suggestions (on writing, drawing, publishing, promotion & recruitment)
      * to find collaborators &/or contributors
      * to post news
      * to post reviews
      * to display their creations (art & writing)
      * to promote small press
      * to recruit new creators and fans
      * etc. (the possibilities are as limited as we allow them to be)

      How do I hope to accomplish this?

      By inviting interesting, talented small press writers, artists, and publishers to join SPP, and then giving them a neutral space to discuss their work, and small press in general, in a friendly and open atmosphere.

      In addition to postings, I'm also hoping to establishing a weekly chat (Saturdays @ 9:00pm CST/10:00pm EST) where people can hook up online and really get to know one another.

      Does that sounds at all interesting to you?

      Then I sincerely hope that you will help me to make this website truly come alive and reach it's full potential.

      Thanks!

      @ the Keyboard,
      Tim (a.k.a. SmallPressFan)

      Creativity is not merely the innocent spontaneity of our youth and childhood;
      it must also be married to the passion of the adult human being,
      which is a passion to live beyond one's death.
      - Rollo May

      *
    • lordshazam
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 14, 2005
        and thanks for having me here!

        i think that this group is a great idea and i look
        forward to lots of interesting conversations and a lot
        of networking! i'll definitely be putting some of my
        info and stuff in the group files and thanks for
        already putting up links to my websites!

        let's get this group a hopping!

        sam!

      • ronson butler
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 14, 2005
          hi guys it's me Ronson!! just got the invite!! what's happening
          guys!!--- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "SmallPressFan"

        • stevekeeter
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 14, 2005
            Okay, I'm here too. When's the party begin? Hey, how about
            Saturday night for the chat? Or Friday night. Or something.
            Haven't been in a small press chat situation in a long time, I just
            haven't had the time, but with the group of fine folk that are
            assembled here, it might be hard to resist! Best of luck with the
            new group, Tim.

            --el skeeto

            --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "ronson butler"
            <unicron20032001@y...> wrote:

            > hi guys it's me Ronson!! just got the invite!! what's happening
            > guys!!--- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "SmallPressFan"
            > <smallpressfan@c...> wrote:
            > > Greetings...
            > >
            > > And welcome to SMALL PRESS PALAVER!!!
            > >

            > > What is Small Press Palaver?
            > >
            > > It all basically boils down to the fact that I have wanted (for
            > quite some time now) to find an easy to access, no hassle online
            > website where people can post and discuss their small press
            > activities and interests. Being a fan of self-published comics and
            > zines, I actually started pondering starting this website as soon
            as
            > I stumbled across the Yahoo! groups a few years back, but I didn't
            > feel truly confident enough to create SPP until just recently. So,
            > after years of pointless procrastination, I have finally decided
            that
            > it's time that I stopped just thinking about it and actually did
            it.

            > > Anyway, I have several goals/hopes for ways that people will use
            > this Yahoo! group, some of which include:
            > >
            > > * to exchange ideas & suggestions (on writing, drawing,
            publishing,
            > promotion & recruitment)
            > > * to find collaborators &/or contributors
            > > * to post news
            > > * to post reviews
            > > * to display their creations (art & writing)
            > > * to promote small press
            > > * to recruit new creators and fans
            > > * etc. (the possibilities are as limited as we allow them to be)
            > >
            > > How do I hope to accomplish this?
            > >
            > > By inviting interesting, talented small press writers, artists,
            and
            > publishers to join SPP, and then giving them a neutral space to
            > discuss their work, and small press in general, in a friendly and
            > open atmosphere.
            > >
            > > In addition to postings, I'm also hoping to establishing a
            weekly
            > chat (Saturdays @ 9:00pm CST/10:00pm EST) where people can hook up
            > online and really get to know one another.
            > >
            > > Does that sounds at all interesting to you?
            > >
            > > Then I sincerely hope that you will help me to make this website
            > truly come alive and reach it's full potential.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >

            > > @ the Keyboard,
            > > Tim (a.k.a. SmallPressFan)
            > >

            > > Creativity is not merely the innocent spontaneity of our youth
            and
            > childhood;
            > > it must also be married to the passion of the adult human being,
            > > which is a passion to live beyond one's death.
            > > - Rollo May

            > > *
          • lance boucher
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 14, 2005
              Hey I joined as well. What about Wednesday? But I guess any night
              would be Ok.
              DOC

              --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, "stevekeeter"
              <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > open atmosphere.
              > > >
              > > > In addition to postings, I'm also hoping to establishing a
              > weekly
              > > chat (Saturdays @ 9:00pm CST/10:00pm EST) where people can hook
              up
              > > online and really get to know one another.
              > > >
              > > > Does that sounds at all interesting to you?
              > > >
              > > > Then I sincerely hope that you will help me to make this
              website
              > > truly come alive and reach it's full potential.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks!
              > > >

              > > > @ the Keyboard,
              > > > Tim (a.k.a. SmallPressFan)
              > > >

              > > > Creativity is not merely the innocent spontaneity of our youth
              > and
              > > childhood;
              > > > it must also be married to the passion of the adult human
              being,
              > > > which is a passion to live beyond one's death.

            • SmallPressFan
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 15, 2005
                Howdy Sam!!!

                Glad you could make it (it wouldn't be the same without you!).

                i think that this group is a great idea and i look

                forward to lots of interesting conversations and a lot

                of networking!

                That makes two of us my friend.

                I find it truly gratifying that we have managed to attract sixteen members our first day up and running, I hope that his a sign of even bigger things to come!

                i'll definitely be putting some of my

                info and stuff in the group files

                I can't wait!

                and thanks for

                already putting up links to my websites!

                No problems, that's one of the reasons we're here!

                let's get this group a hopping!

                sam!

                You heard the man...let's get busy!!!

                lol Winky 2

                @ The Keyboard,

                Tim (a.k.a. SmallPressFan)

                YAHOO! GROUPS – CHECK ‘EM OUT!

                *

                *

              • SmallPressFan
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 15, 2005
                  hi guys it's me Ronson!! just got the invite!! what's happening
                  guys!!

                  RONSON!!!

                  Glad you could make it!

                  I haven't heard from you in ages man, what have you been up to???

                  @ The Keyboard,
                  "Grim" Tim

                  YAHOO! GROUPS – CHECK ‘EM OUT!

                  *
                • SmallPressFan
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 15, 2005
                    Okay, I'm here too.  When's the party begin?  Hey, how about
                    Saturday night for the chat?  Or Friday night.  Or something.
                    Haven't been in a small press chat situation in a long time, I just
                    haven't had the time, but with the group of fine folk that are
                    assembled here, it might be hard to resist!  Best of luck with the
                    new group, Tim.

                                                           --el skeeto

                    Well Steve,

                    Now that you're here, the party can officially get started!!! lol Winky

                    Seriously, I'm glad that you could make it...and I look forward to seeing you in chat (if/when we ever decide on a day and time).

                    Remember folks, voting is still open on what night we should hold our weekly chats, so make your wishes known.

                    I'm holding off voting myself so as to not bias anyone's decision, but I truly hope that you will all place your own votes as soon as it's convenient.

                    Thanks!

                    @ The Keyboard,
                    Tim (a.k.a. SPF)

                    YAHOO! GROUPS – CHECK ‘EM OUT!

                  • SmallPressFan
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 15, 2005
                      Hey I joined as well. What about Wednesday? But I guess any night
                      would be Ok.

                      DOC

                      Welcome Lance,

                      Wednesday are a possiblility. Go ahead and place your vote at:

                      And thanks for joining up!!!

                      @ The Keyboard,
                      "Grim" Tim

                      YAHOO! GROUPS – CHECK ‘EM OUT!

                      *
                    • lordshazam
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 16, 2005
                        i like the idea of a chat and am looking forward to
                        it... i try to drop in at Ian's SPA chat when i can
                        but weekday nights are usually hard for me to do so...

                        amazing that the technology exists to do this... i
                        know that steve remembers, as i do, the early days of
                        small press when you had to wait to get MAIL to find
                        out what everyone was up to and, if you were lucky,
                        you might be able to talk to someone on the phone (no
                        conference calls then!)...

                        so steve, want to do a mimeo zine for old times sake?
                        ;)

                        sam!

                        --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > a friendly and
                        > > open atmosphere.
                        > > >
                        > > > In addition to postings, I'm also hoping to
                        > establishing a
                        > weekly
                        > > chat (Saturdays @ 9:00pm CST/10:00pm EST) where
                        > people can hook up
                        > > online and really get to know one another.
                        > > >
                        > > > Does that sounds at all interesting to you?
                        > > >
                        > > > Then I sincerely hope that you will help me to
                        > make this website
                        > > truly come alive and reach it's full potential.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks!
                        > > >

                        > > > @ the Keyboard,
                        > > > Tim (a.k.a. SmallPressFan)
                        > > >

                        > > > Creativity is not merely the innocent
                        > spontaneity of our youth
                        > and
                        > > childhood;
                        > > > it must also be married to the passion of the
                        > adult human being,
                        > > > which is a passion to live beyond one's death.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • James West
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 16, 2005
                          To be honest, I prefer the old way. I just don't hav a lot of time and I dont' really like schedules either. So a scheduled chat is something I've always had problems committing to. Sometimes I'm there, somettimes I'm not. But if I can write letters on my own time, my own speed, I can keep in contact.

                          The net is so fast everything is old within hours! I  hate that.

                        • stevekeeter
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 16, 2005
                            Hey, Sam, I'd love to do an old-fashioned ditto zine sometime (and
                            it's ditto, that faded purple method. Mimeo is actually different,
                            the two are often confused. Ditto is done with a spirit duplicator,
                            using an alcohol based fluid. Mimeo uses stencils, instead of
                            spirit masters, and a mimeograph machine.). Just a one-shot,
                            though, if I was going to do it, because that printing method can be
                            a real pain in the butt! And I'm not even sure that you can buy
                            ditto masters anymore. Actually, I think I still have some old ones
                            up in the attic, but they're undoubtedly no good anymore. But it
                            would be a nostlagic treat to do one of those... one more time. I
                            bet Chuck Robinson would be interested in helping out with such a
                            project.

                            Don Martinec produced something called GOOD OLD-FASHIONED DITTOZINE
                            in the late '80s, that's the last ditto zine that I can recall...
                            and it was years after ditto died in the late '70s/early '80s.

                            So... does anyone still have a spirit duplicator?

                            --Steve

                            --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, lordshazam

                          • SmallPressFan
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 17, 2005
                              Wow!

                              A retro fanzine?

                              I want to be the first to put in my order for a copy in right now...

                              I sure hope you fellows follow through with this one.

                              What is the topic of the zine going to be? Fandom and it's history? That would seem kind of appropriate, given the medium you're planning on using? Do you think that you would use a mixture of old and new material, or strictly new stuff?

                              I hope that you two will keep us all posted here at SPP.

                              GOOD LUCK!!!

                              @ The Keyboard,
                              Tim (a.k.a. SPF)

                              YAHOO! GROUPS – CHECK ‘EM OUT!

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 17, 2005
                                Well, we haven't commited to that one yet, we were just musing over
                                it. As I indicated, first one would have to locate (a) a spirit
                                duplicator that works, (b) corflu: the alcohol-based solution that
                                is used in the process, and (c) ditto masters (which one can make by
                                taping a piece of thin typing paper to a sheet of carbon paper-- one
                                sided carbon paper, that is. If all of these things could be found,
                                I'd be willing to do the zine. I'd want to do an old-fashioned
                                comics zine, featuring some old reliable heroes, including Raven and
                                Sunwing. Maybe even a brand new, ditto issue of OM (OM #1, which
                                was the zine with which I joined BPP in 1972, was all ditto. I
                                actually printed it on my high school's spirit duplicator, there
                                were only 50 copies ever produced.).

                                --Steve

                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallPressPalaver/

                              • lordshazam
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 17, 2005
                                  hey there steve!

                                  a one time ditto zine would be fun to do (probably
                                  because, when we're done, we'd never want to do it
                                  again!)... but, to be honest, i don't know if it can
                                  be done anymore... i'll have to check a few stationary
                                  sites and see if any of that stuff is still
                                  available... maybe a used office supply place might
                                  have the machine... i used to have one but dumped it a
                                  long time ago (damn things were heavy!)... so it's
                                  something to think about and we'll see what happens...

                                  sam!

                                  --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey, Sam, I'd love to do an old-fashioned ditto zine
                                  > sometime (and
                                  > it's ditto, that faded purple method. Mimeo is
                                  > actually different,
                                  > the two are often confused. Ditto is done with a
                                  > spirit duplicator,
                                  > using an alcohol based fluid. Mimeo uses stencils,
                                  > instead of
                                  > spirit masters, and a mimeograph machine.). Just a
                                  > one-shot,
                                  > though, if I was going to do it, because that
                                  > printing method can be
                                  > a real pain in the butt! And I'm not even sure that
                                  > you can buy
                                  > ditto masters anymore. Actually, I think I still
                                  > have some old ones
                                  > up in the attic, but they're undoubtedly no good
                                  > anymore. But it
                                  > would be a nostlagic treat to do one of those... one
                                  > more time. I
                                  > bet Chuck Robinson would be interested in helping
                                  > out with such a
                                  > project.
                                  >
                                  > Don Martinec produced something called GOOD
                                  > OLD-FASHIONED DITTOZINE
                                  > in the late '80s, that's the last ditto zine that I
                                  > can recall...
                                  > and it was years after ditto died in the late
                                  > '70s/early '80s.
                                  >
                                  > So... does anyone still have a spirit duplicator?
                                  >
                                  > --Steve

                                  Make Yahoo! your home page
                                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                • stevekeeter
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 17, 2005
                                    I know that ebay sometimes has spirit dupers, I just don't know
                                    about the availability of the corflu or the masters. Hmmm, wonder
                                    if Don Martinec still has that old machine?

                                    <lordshazam@y...> wrote:
                                    > hey there steve!
                                    >
                                    > a one time ditto zine would be fun to do (probably
                                    > because, when we're done, we'd never want to do it
                                    > again!)... but, to be honest, i don't know if it can
                                    > be done anymore... i'll have to check a few stationary
                                    > sites and see if any of that stuff is still
                                    > available... maybe a used office supply place might
                                    > have the machine... i used to have one but dumped it a
                                    > long time ago (damn things were heavy!)... so it's
                                    > something to think about and we'll see what happens...
                                    >
                                    > sam!
                                    >

                                    > --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > Hey, Sam, I'd love to do an old-fashioned ditto zine
                                    > > sometime (and
                                    > > it's ditto, that faded purple method. Mimeo is
                                    > > actually different,
                                    > > the two are often confused. Ditto is done with a
                                    > > spirit duplicator,
                                    > > using an alcohol based fluid. Mimeo uses stencils,
                                    > > instead of
                                    > > spirit masters, and a mimeograph machine.). Just a
                                    > > one-shot,
                                    > > though, if I was going to do it, because that
                                    > > printing method can be
                                    > > a real pain in the butt! And I'm not even sure that
                                    > > you can buy
                                    > > ditto masters anymore. Actually, I think I still
                                    > > have some old ones
                                    > > up in the attic, but they're undoubtedly no good
                                    > > anymore. But it
                                    > > would be a nostlagic treat to do one of those... one
                                    > > more time. I
                                    > > bet Chuck Robinson would be interested in helping
                                    > > out with such a
                                    > > project.
                                    > >
                                    > > Don Martinec produced something called GOOD
                                    > > OLD-FASHIONED DITTOZINE
                                    > > in the late '80s, that's the last ditto zine that I
                                    > > can recall...
                                    > > and it was years after ditto died in the late
                                    > > '70s/early '80s.
                                    > >
                                    > > So... does anyone still have a spirit duplicator?
                                    > >
                                    > > --Steve

                                    > Make Yahoo! your home page
                                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                  • stevekeeter
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 17, 2005
                                      You know what else? Somewhere up in my attic still exists a buncha
                                      material on old ditto masters, some artwork, an entire issue of a
                                      FAN FORUM-type letterzine, and maybe an unpublished apazine... stuff
                                      that never got published when I abandoned ditto in the late '70s. I
                                      may have to go up there and see if any of it is salvagable
                                      sometime...

                                      --skeet

                                      <lordshazam@y...> wrote:
                                      > hey there steve!
                                      >
                                      > a one time ditto zine would be fun to do (probably
                                      > because, when we're done, we'd never want to do it
                                      > again!)... but, to be honest, i don't know if it can
                                      > be done anymore... i'll have to check a few stationary
                                      > sites and see if any of that stuff is still
                                      > available... maybe a used office supply place might
                                      > have the machine... i used to have one but dumped it a
                                      > long time ago (damn things were heavy!)... so it's
                                      > something to think about and we'll see what happens...
                                      >
                                      > sam!
                                      >

                                      > --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > Hey, Sam, I'd love to do an old-fashioned ditto zine
                                      > > sometime (and
                                      > > it's ditto, that faded purple method. Mimeo is
                                      > > actually different,
                                      > > the two are often confused. Ditto is done with a
                                      > > spirit duplicator,
                                      > > using an alcohol based fluid. Mimeo uses stencils,
                                      > > instead of
                                      > > spirit masters, and a mimeograph machine.). Just a
                                      > > one-shot,
                                      > > though, if I was going to do it, because that
                                      > > printing method can be
                                      > > a real pain in the butt! And I'm not even sure that
                                      > > you can buy
                                      > > ditto masters anymore. Actually, I think I still
                                      > > have some old ones
                                      > > up in the attic, but they're undoubtedly no good
                                      > > anymore. But it
                                      > > would be a nostlagic treat to do one of those... one
                                      > > more time. I
                                      > > bet Chuck Robinson would be interested in helping
                                      > > out with such a
                                      > > project.
                                      > >
                                      > > Don Martinec produced something called GOOD
                                      > > OLD-FASHIONED DITTOZINE
                                      > > in the late '80s, that's the last ditto zine that I
                                      > > can recall...
                                      > > and it was years after ditto died in the late
                                      > > '70s/early '80s.
                                      > >
                                      > > So... does anyone still have a spirit duplicator?
                                      > >
                                      > > --Steve

                                      > Make Yahoo! your home page
                                      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                    • stevekeeter
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 17, 2005
                                        Yep, there's a spirit duplicator on ebay right now. Starting bid is
                                        99 cents (with 6 days to go, however). No telling if it's any good
                                        or not. Let's see if this link works:

                                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                                        ViewItem&category=158&item=6163471279&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotoh
                                        osting

                                        By the way, Kurt Erichsen (remember him from the UFO of the 1970s?)
                                        used to make his own corflu at home. I have his email address, and
                                        could probably still get the recipe.

                                        --Steve

                                        <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:

                                        > You know what else? Somewhere up in my attic still exists a
                                        buncha
                                        > material on old ditto masters, some artwork, an entire issue of a
                                        > FAN FORUM-type letterzine, and maybe an unpublished apazine...
                                        stuff
                                        > that never got published when I abandoned ditto in the late '70s.
                                        > may have to go up there and see if any of it is salvagable
                                        > sometime...
                                        >
                                        > --skeet
                                        >

                                        > --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, lordshazam
                                        > <lordshazam@y...> wrote:
                                        > > hey there steve!
                                        > >
                                        > > a one time ditto zine would be fun to do (probably
                                        > > because, when we're done, we'd never want to do it
                                        > > again!)... but, to be honest, i don't know if it can
                                        > > be done anymore... i'll have to check a few stationary
                                        > > sites and see if any of that stuff is still
                                        > > available... maybe a used office supply place might
                                        > > have the machine... i used to have one but dumped it a
                                        > > long time ago (damn things were heavy!)... so it's
                                        > > something to think about and we'll see what happens...
                                        > >
                                        > > sam!
                                        > >

                                        > > --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > > Hey, Sam, I'd love to do an old-fashioned ditto zine
                                        > > > sometime (and
                                        > > > it's ditto, that faded purple method. Mimeo is
                                        > > > actually different,
                                        > > > the two are often confused. Ditto is done with a
                                        > > > spirit duplicator,
                                        > > > using an alcohol based fluid. Mimeo uses stencils,
                                        > > > instead of
                                        > > > spirit masters, and a mimeograph machine.). Just a
                                        > > > one-shot,
                                        > > > though, if I was going to do it, because that
                                        > > > printing method can be
                                        > > > a real pain in the butt! And I'm not even sure that
                                        > > > you can buy
                                        > > > ditto masters anymore. Actually, I think I still
                                        > > > have some old ones
                                        > > > up in the attic, but they're undoubtedly no good
                                        > > > anymore. But it
                                        > > > would be a nostlagic treat to do one of those... one
                                        > > > more time. I
                                        > > > bet Chuck Robinson would be interested in helping
                                        > > > out with such a
                                        > > > project.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Don Martinec produced something called GOOD
                                        > > > OLD-FASHIONED DITTOZINE
                                        > > > in the late '80s, that's the last ditto zine that I
                                        > > > can recall...
                                        > > > and it was years after ditto died in the late
                                        > > > '70s/early '80s.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > So... does anyone still have a spirit duplicator?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > --Steve

                                        > > Make Yahoo! your home page
                                        > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                      • SmallPressFan
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                          You know what else?  Somewhere up in my attic still exists a buncha
                                          material on old ditto masters, some artwork, an entire issue of a
                                          FAN FORUM-type letterzine, and maybe an unpublished apazine... stuff
                                          that never got published when I abandoned ditto in the late '70s.  I
                                          may have to go up there and see if any of it is salvagable
                                          sometime...
                                                                                  --skeet

                                          MOST DEFINITELY!!!

                                          *
                                        • SmallPressFan
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                            Hey Steve,

                                            Thanks for the link, now I have a better idea of what it is that you and Sam are talking about.

                                            Wonder how much it would cost to ship that thing to America from Australia? From the description, it sounds like it still works, don't you think?

                                            Anyway, thanks again for the link, I found it very interesting!

                                            @ The Keyboard,
                                            SPF

                                             Surf The Web

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                              I think these machines end up going for some pretty low bids these
                                              days. The shipping from Australia might be more than what the duper
                                              is selling for! I would wait a bit, and see if another machine pops
                                              up soon, which I'm certain will happen. Although this one does
                                              appear to be in pretty good shape (those machines were pretty tough
                                              anyway, could take a pounding, I imagine there are lots of them out
                                              there that still work). Anyway, it's something to keep an eye out
                                              for. Shoot, if I wasn't in this tight financial situation right
                                              now, I'd definitely bid on one of these machines. Maybe later, when
                                              things stabilize a bit more...

                                              --Steve

                                              <smallpressfan@c...> wrote:
                                              > Hey Steve,
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for the link, now I have a better idea of what it is that
                                              you and Sam are talking about.

                                              > Wonder how much it would cost to ship that thing to America from
                                              Australia? From the description, it sounds like it still works,
                                              don't you think?

                                              > Anyway, thanks again for the link, I found it very interesting!
                                              >

                                              > @ The Keyboard,
                                              > SPF
                                              >

                                              > spirit duplicator on ebay
                                              >

                                              > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                                              ViewItem&category=158&item=6163471279&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotoh
                                              osting

                                            • lordshazam
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                hey tim,
                                                i think it will all depend upon how difficult it is to
                                                get that equipment again... i'd like to do it but i
                                                can see that it may end up being a lot more difficult
                                                than we think... we'll have to see what happens...
                                                sam!

                                                --- SmallPressFan <smallpressfan@...> wrote:
                                                > Wow!
                                                >
                                                > A retro fanzine?
                                                >
                                                > I want to be the first to put in my order for a copy
                                                > in right now...
                                                >
                                                > I sure hope you fellows follow through with this
                                                > one.
                                                >
                                                > What is the topic of the zine going to be? Fandom
                                                > and it's history? That would seem kind of
                                                > appropriate, given the medium you're planning on
                                                > using? Do you think that you would use a mixture of
                                                > old and new material, or strictly new stuff?
                                                >
                                                > I hope that you two will keep us all posted here at
                                                > SPP.
                                                >
                                                > GOOD LUCK!!!
                                                >

                                                > @ The Keyboard,
                                                > Tim (a.k.a. SPF)
                                                > *

                                              • lordshazam
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                  what i think would be fun is if we did it as if it
                                                  were actually made in 1970 and just found! sort of
                                                  like a zine lost in time...

                                                  sam!

                                                  --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@...> wrote:

                                                  > Well, we haven't commited to that one yet, we were
                                                  > just musing over
                                                  > it. As I indicated, first one would have to locate
                                                  > (a) a spirit
                                                  > duplicator that works, (b) corflu: the alcohol-based
                                                  > solution that
                                                  > is used in the process, and (c) ditto masters (which
                                                  > one can make by
                                                  > taping a piece of thin typing paper to a sheet of
                                                  > carbon paper-- one
                                                  > sided carbon paper, that is. If all of these things
                                                  > could be found,
                                                  > I'd be willing to do the zine. I'd want to do an
                                                  > old-fashioned
                                                  > comics zine, featuring some old reliable heroes,
                                                  > including Raven and
                                                  > Sunwing. Maybe even a brand new, ditto issue of OM
                                                  > (OM #1, which
                                                  > was the zine with which I joined BPP in 1972, was
                                                  > all ditto. I
                                                  > actually printed it on my high school's spirit
                                                  > duplicator, there
                                                  > were only 50 copies ever produced.).
                                                  >
                                                  > --Steve

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • lordshazam
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                    don martinec! man! haven't heard that name in eons!
                                                    is he still pubbing? what's he up to these days?

                                                    Make Yahoo! your home page
                                                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                                  • lordshazam
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                      steve,
                                                      you definitely should check that out... would be great
                                                      to get all that stuff out... maybe even the ditto
                                                      masters are still good? remember what a pain those
                                                      were? you had to draw right on them and too bad if
                                                      you made a mistake! i remember carl used to have
                                                      these old shading plates that he used for his
                                                      artwork...

                                                    • LilRenoir@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                        In a message dated 3/16/05 12:52:42 PM, kellblackfoot@... writes:

                                                        << To be honest, I prefer the old way. I just don't hav a lot of time and I
                                                        dont' really like schedules either. So a scheduled chat is something I've
                                                        always had problems committing to. Sometimes I'm there, somettimes I'm not. But if
                                                        I can write letters on my own time, my own speed, I can keep in contact. >>

                                                        Actually I have to kind of second that--I've got so many different things
                                                        going on, and I may or may not be acting in a movie, I'll find out soon! I can't
                                                        guarantee that I'll be home and in front of a computer on any given night.

                                                        Plus I'm not too crazy about chatrooms or IM's and stuff :p

                                                        Jenny
                                                      • stevekeeter
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                          As far as I know, Don Martinec isn't publishing anymore. He seemed
                                                          pretty much out of the whole scene the last I heard from him, which
                                                          was a few years ago. Don't know if he's still at his old address or
                                                          not, maybe I'll drop him a line and see what happens.

                                                          <lordshazam@y...> wrote:
                                                          > don martinec! man! haven't heard that name in eons!
                                                          > is he still pubbing? what's he up to these days?
                                                          >
                                                          > sam!
                                                          >
                                                          > --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I know that ebay sometimes has spirit dupers, I just
                                                          > > don't know
                                                          > > about the availability of the corflu or the masters.
                                                          > > Hmmm, wonder
                                                          > > if Don Martinec still has that old machine?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > --Steve
                                                          > >

                                                          > > --- In SmallPressPalaver@yahoogroups.com, lordshazam
                                                          > >
                                                          > > <lordshazam@y...> wrote:
                                                          > > > hey there steve!
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > a one time ditto zine would be fun to do (probably
                                                          > > > because, when we're done, we'd never want to do it
                                                          > > > again!)... but, to be honest, i don't know if it
                                                          > > can
                                                          > > > be done anymore... i'll have to check a few
                                                          > > stationary
                                                          > > > sites and see if any of that stuff is still
                                                          > > > available... maybe a used office supply place
                                                          > > might
                                                          > > > have the machine... i used to have one but dumped
                                                          > > it a
                                                          > > > long time ago (damn things were heavy!)... so it's
                                                          > > > something to think about and we'll see what
                                                          > > happens...
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > sam!

                                                          > > zine
                                                          > > stencils,
                                                          > > Just a
                                                          > > that
                                                          > > still
                                                          > > one
                                                          > > helping

                                                          > > that I

                                                          > > duplicator?
                                                          > > > >

                                                          > > --Steve

                                                          > > > Make Yahoo! your home page
                                                          > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                                                          > Make Yahoo! your home page
                                                          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                                        • stevekeeter
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                            Chuck Robinson has some of those shading plates too. In fact, I
                                                            believe he got some of them from Carl. They were used to great
                                                            effect in the ditto days, looked just like zipatone. And Chuck was
                                                            an excellent inker in that medium, he had really mastered it (as had
                                                            Carl). That's one reason I think Chuck would be very interested in
                                                            helping out on a new dittozine project, I'm certain he'd leap at the
                                                            opportunity. And it would be a nostalgic blast, it would probably
                                                            look very much like an old issue of COMIQUE or MINTOTAUR. Hey, if
                                                            the tools could ever be found, I'd be happy to publish and edit the
                                                            thing myself. Of course, we're kinda dreaming at the moment, but it
                                                            IS possible to pull it off. Just keep an eye on ebay for the time
                                                            being.

                                                            --skeet

                                                            <lordshazam@y...> wrote:
                                                            > steve,
                                                            > you definitely should check that out... would be great
                                                            > to get all that stuff out... maybe even the ditto
                                                            > masters are still good? remember what a pain those
                                                            > were? you had to draw right on them and too bad if
                                                            > you made a mistake! i remember carl used to have
                                                            > these old shading plates that he used for his
                                                            > artwork...
                                                            >
                                                            > sam!
                                                            >
                                                            > --- stevekeeter <stevekeeter@y...> wrote:
                                                            > >
                                                            > > You know what else? Somewhere up in my attic still
                                                            > > exists a buncha
                                                            > > material on old ditto masters, some artwork, an
                                                            > > entire issue of a
                                                            > > FAN FORUM-type letterzine, and maybe an unpublished
                                                            > > apazine... stuff
                                                            > > that never got published when I abandoned ditto in
                                                            > > the late '70s. I
                                                            > > may have to go up there and see if any of it is
                                                            > > salvagable
                                                            > > sometime...
                                                            > >
                                                            > > --skeet

                                                            > Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball.
                                                            > http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/
                                                          • stevekeeter
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 18, 2005
                                                              Jim Main figured out a way, awhile back, to reprint strips that were
                                                              drawn on old ditto masters, and transfer those to offset. He did it
                                                              in an issue of *PPFSZT!, I think.