Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] Low Cost Redrive

  • Air Mx
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2011
      The drives,  There Products work well on the air boats.  The Drives would work for aircraft as well but there mounting plates are made of steel heavy for our applications. Mxjeff

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2011
        Yes, I noticed the big steel mounting plates. But they would probably sell you just the pulleys and shaft plus bearing and you could just cut your own plate.

        The price is only $650, which is less than half of what Valley is asking.

        Also the direct drive hubs are only $100.

        My real interest here is that they are just bolting props to what appears to be the stock engine, which means they are probably leaving the flywheel as is. No issues with broken cranks it would appear, so that is a helpful bit of information. If true, it would mean those crank failures were due to other factors than the flywheel.

        Btw I found a service manual for a Kohler 40 hp and it shows how to rebuild this engine. The underside of the flywheel looks like it has had a couple of steel rings pressed in for weight. This is done to increase the flywheel inertia for smoother running.

        It would seem to be quite easy to machine these out. The idea being to lighten the flywheel by the same amount of inertia we are adding with the prop.

        Regards,

        Gordon.

        --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Air Mx <air.mxii@...> wrote:

        > The drives,  There Products work well on the air boats.  The Drives would work for aircraft as well but there mounting plates are made of steel heavy for our applications. Mxjeff

      • Air Mx
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2011
          Valley engineering has a nice redrive but he is way proud of it i 'm saying the guy gets 4 times what it is worth. If you you can do your final machining stop by the local bearing shop where you live they will show you more pullies than you can imagine. These belt drives are made from pulley blanks, pick the number & size of your belts and the diameter of the pulleys you want just go buy a set then stop buy a welding or a fabrication shop the have scraps of steel and aluminum left over from there projects you can buy cheep. good luck. Mxjeff