Re: jeremy's gotta point ...

  • Kev Armstrong
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      artdog1512 wrote:
      > > Subject: Re: too heavy ...

      *Just for fun, check this out;- Honda have released a new model 250
      four stroke crosser in the UK.
      The entire bike costs less than many Rotaxes for our use; you could
      run it in on the bike, wash off the mud, then haul out the motor for
      your ultralight. Knowing Honda it will be reliable, although I'd hope
      for a decompressor for hand-pull starting!

      Spec is:-

      Engine Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 4-valve SOHC single
      Engine Displacement 249.4cc
      Bore & Stroke 78 x 52.2mm
      Compression Ratio 12.9 : 1
      Carburation 37mm Keihin FCR flat slide carburettor with throttle
      position
      Max. Power Output 42 bhp at 11,000 rpm
      Max. Torque 28.5Nm at 8,000 rpm
      Ignition Computer-controlled digital capacitor discharge with
      electronic advance
      Starter Primary kick (Damn!)

      *Out of interest I don't know what the final reduction ratio is
      through the sprockets, assuming the rear wheel maxes out at 1500 rpm,
      the gearbox sprocket must be doing at least 7,500? Maybe a case of
      picking a gear that suits your favourite redrive, then sticking the
      gear selector lever in your toolbox....

      At those revs the power pulses from a four stroke single would be so
      close together as to be smooth from the props' point of view.

      Incidentally, I thought it was a two - stroke at first because the
      bulk of the exhaust is right up close to the engine, so rigging it in
      say, a trike wouldnt be too much hassle.

      Always thought that Motocross bikes have the closest in requirement
      to us flyers, light weight, tough and powerful units in a compact
      package, so keep a watchful eye on developments in this particular
      field.

      Brrrm brrrrm
      Kevin Armstrong
      UK