Re: New 50hp Valley Engineering Big Twin

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2011
      Duncan,
      Is the Big Bad Twin,a newer different engine than the Big Twin? I don't see any reference to it on the VE website.
      Ken Walter

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Glenda" <rtfmsoft@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Well, after agonising for months over what engine to use in my little "Razorback F1" plane, I have finally decided. I'm getting the new Valley Engineering "Big Bad Twin" - their conversion of the 40hp Generac.
      >
      > They have reground the cam, replaced the pistons and done a few other mods to produce a 120 lb v-twin monster. 50hp is exactly what the doctor ordered.
      >
      > This decision is a very long time coming. One of the difficulties is that my design can accommodate engines all the way from the little Verner JCV-360 and Solo35 all the way up to a turbo BMW k75 - including along the way the VW conversions, the Jabiru, Geo Metro and the HKS. But for one reason or another - price, weight or power output - they have all fallen by the wayside. I wanted a simple off-the-shelf installation without any special technical knowledge required. I know many of the guys who contribute to this forum have a great deal of technical knowledge and enjoy the challenge of converting the base engine for aero use - I'm not one of them. I'm strictly a bolt-it-on-and-fly sort of person. And so it was just too hard to overlook the following off-the-shelf solution:
      >
      > 120 lbs
      > 50hp
      > 6 litres/hr
      > PSRU included
      > Prop included
      >
      > With the BBT I am expecting the following performance:
      > Stall 42 kts
      > Climb 1500 fps
      > Cruise 120 kts
      > Max S&L 150 kts
      >
      > If anyone is interested in checking out the design, and keeping up to date with the build progress, you can follow the progress here:
      > http://rtfmaero.wordpress.com
      >
      > Regards,
      > Duncan

    • George Bearden
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2011
        > you can follow the progress here:

        Duncan, beautiful plane! Will be following your progress. Is VE delivering
        the 50 hp yet?

        GeoB

      • Glenda
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
          Hi,
          Yes. And no, there is no mention of it on their web site. However, after hearing about it, I got hold of them and asked. And indeed, they have re-ground the cam, changed the pistons somewhat to increase the compression ration and hey presto! 50hp.

          Cost is an extra $750, but for $5750 you get the PSRU and the Prop thrown in. I think its a great deal.

          Duncan

          --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth" <kiweezul@...> wrote:

          > Duncan,
          > Is the Big Bad Twin,a newer different engine than the Big Twin? I don't see any reference to it on the VE website.
          > Ken Walter
          >
          > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Glenda" <rtfmsoft@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > Well, after agonising for months over what engine to use in my little "Razorback F1" plane, I have finally decided. I'm getting the new Valley Engineering "Big Bad Twin" - their conversion of the 40hp Generac.
          > >
          > > They have reground the cam, replaced the pistons and done a few other mods to produce a 120 lb v-twin monster. 50hp is exactly what the doctor ordered.
          > >
          > > This decision is a very long time coming. One of the difficulties is that my design can accommodate engines all the way from the little Verner JCV-360 and Solo35 all the way up to a turbo BMW k75 - including along the way the VW conversions, the Jabiru, Geo Metro and the HKS. But for one reason or another - price, weight or power output - they have all fallen by the wayside. I wanted a simple off-the-shelf installation without any special technical knowledge required. I know many of the guys who contribute to this forum have a great deal of technical knowledge and enjoy the challenge of converting the base engine for aero use - I'm not one of them. I'm strictly a bolt-it-on-and-fly sort of person. And so it was just too hard to overlook the following off-the-shelf solution:
          > >
          > > 120 lbs
          > > 50hp
          > > 6 litres/hr
          > > PSRU included
          > > Prop included
          > >
          > > With the BBT I am expecting the following performance:
          > > Stall 42 kts
          > > Climb 1500 fps
          > > Cruise 120 kts
          > > Max S&L 150 kts
          > >
          > > If anyone is interested in checking out the design, and keeping up to date with the build progress, you can follow the progress here:
          > > http://rtfmaero.wordpress.com
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Duncan

        • Glenda
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
            Hi,
            Thanks, Yes, she is a bit of a looker... I'm about to pay my deposit, and then there is a 4-week lead time. I might have to push that back a bit, actually, since my new workshop won't be ready before March. And I have to get the wind tunnel set up and the scale models built for the wind tunnel testing.

            But I can't wait to get my hands on the motor and fire her up. I'm also ordering one of their hydraulic pull testers, so that I can measure static thrust. Not that this is an indication of much, but it will at least keep them honest...

            So quite a lot to do.

            2011 is certainly going to be a busy year for RTFM-Aero, but I'm hoping to get all the molds complete, the templates cut and the build manual (with photos/videos) complete within the next 18 months.

            The plan is to get the Razorback in the air by Christmas 2012 at the latest.

            Regards,
            Duncan

            --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "George Bearden" <gab16@...> wrote:

            > > you can follow the progress here:
            >

            > Duncan, beautiful plane! Will be following your progress. Is VE delivering
            > the 50 hp yet?
            >
            > GeoB

          • eta beta
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
              Are you all completely sure about the 50 hp power of the new big twin?Have you done or seen thrust tests, at least?
              The first Big Twin seemed not to have the claimed 40 hp at all...
              Alberto

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                Are you all completely sure about the 50 hp

                That is a good point, Alberto. But what do we know for sure about any of it?
                I'd love to see certified dyno runs on every model engine that claims a
                certain hp. But even then they wouldn't be apples/apples- peak hp on a dyno
                is interesting but doesn't tell the whole story. My diesel pickup is rated
                at 185 hp. My car is

                rated at 195 hp. My pickup can pull a heavy load up a mountain road that my
                car couldn't. What is the difference? It is the "area under the curve". This
                term refers to the hp curve of an engine. One shown on a graph may be way
                low, then suddenly zoom up to a high peak, then rapidly fall off. Another
                might be an almost flat line at a steady X-amount of hp. Unless you run your
                engine at only one rpm then you need to be concerned about the area under
                the curve- the actual usable power the engine produces throughout its rpm
                range.

                The Rotax 2-strokes could put out huge amounts more hp than they do. They
                don't have a lot of gears and a clutch to slip like a 125cc Motocross
                machine with a very narrow high hp peak. I have heard of 2-strokes used in
                experimental planes that couldn't get up to a proper rpm because they didn't
                have the hp at lower rpm- because the prop load increases in a fairly linear
                fashion but the power didn't. Once babied aloft the plane could dive
                somewhat to allow the engine to reach the narrow power band, then it would
                take off like a rocket as long as the rpm were kept high. Just an example.
                To REALLY compare engines, apart from actually bolting them on identical
                aircraft, you would maybe wanna look at the total area under the hp curve
                for each engine. Just an interesting bit more information maybe. I am not
                lecturing you Alberto, or even addressing this to you, I am just rambling.

                I am delighted to hear that the alleged 50hp engine got there by way of
                compression (more efficient) and cam. I am interested in testing different
                cam grinds to determine if I can get a better hp curve. Almost certain I can
                as this engine stock has a torque peak of 2200 rpm.

                Lemme beat this to death here... Suppose you get 40 ft/lbs torque at 2200.
                Suppose you rev it to 2300 rpm. WHY did the torque fall off? We don't know,
                but can make some guesses. Suppose the intake manifold or carb was too small
                for best power. Suppose that when you increased rpm each individual
                'filling' of a cylinder couldn't suck enough mixture in through the thin
                'straw' QUICKLY enough to fill it completely. This could account for it.
                Also too mild of cam that didn't hold the intake open long enough could do
                it. There are other things too. We can fool with these components to change
                the output.

                GeoB

              • Bob Severance
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                  Hope the floods havent delayed your progress!

                  Dry, south texas is getting a little cooler now, and cloudy so my flying my Legal Eagle is not happening right now...50% chance for rain this weekend too!

                  Bob Severance
                  Yes. And no, there is no mention of it on their web site. However, after hearing about it, I got hold of them and asked. And indeed, they have re-ground the cam, changed the pistons somewhat to increase the compression ration and hey presto! 50hp.

                  Cost is an extra $750, but for $5750 you get the PSRU and the Prop thrown in. I think its a great deal.

                  Duncan

                  --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth" <kiweezul@...> wrote:

                  > Duncan,
                  > Is the Big Bad Twin,a newer different engine than the Big Twin? I don't see any reference to it on the VE website.
                  > Ken Walter
                  >
                  > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Glenda" <rtfmsoft@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > Well, after agonising for months over what engine to use in my little "Razorback F1" plane, I have finally decided. I'm getting the new Valley Engineering "Big Bad Twin" - their conversion of the 40hp Generac.
                  > >
                  > > They have reground the cam, replaced the pistons and done a few other mods to produce a 120 lb v-twin monster. 50hp is exactly what the doctor ordered.
                  > >
                  > > This decision is a very long time coming. One of the difficulties is that my design can accommodate engines all the way from the little Verner JCV-360 and Solo35 all the way up to a turbo BMW k75 - including along the way the VW conversions, the Jabiru, Geo Metro and the HKS. But for one reason or another - price, weight or power output - they have all fallen by the wayside. I wanted a simple off-the-shelf installation without any special technical knowledge required. I know many of the guys who contribute to this forum have a great deal of technical knowledge and enjoy the challenge of converting the base engine for aero use - I'm not one of them. I'm strictly a bolt-it-on-and-fly sort of person. And so it was just too hard to overlook the following off-the-shelf solution:
                  > >
                  > > 120 lbs
                  > > 50hp
                  > > 6 litres/hr
                  > > PSRU included
                  > > Prop included
                  > >
                  > > With the BBT I am expecting the following performance:
                  > > Stall 42 kts
                  > > Climb 1500 fps
                  > > Cruise 120 kts
                  > > Max S&L 150 kts
                  > >
                  > > If anyone is interested in checking out the design, and keeping up to date with the build progress, you can follow the progress here:
                  > > http://rtfmaero.wordpress.com
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Duncan

                • william esker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                    if you go on dick starks nieuport site he has plans so that you can build that thrust tester. looks very simple and is patterned after the one valley engineering built   Bill

                    Thanks, Yes, she is a bit of a looker... I'm about to pay my deposit, and then there is a 4-week lead time. I might have to push that back a bit, actually, since my new workshop won't be ready before March. And I have to get the wind tunnel set up and the scale models built for the wind tunnel testing.

                    But I can't wait to get my hands on the motor and fire her up. I'm also ordering one of their hydraulic pull testers, so that I can measure static thrust. Not that this is an indication of much, but it will at least keep them honest...

                    So quite a lot to do.

                    2011 is certainly going to be a busy year for RTFM-Aero, but I'm hoping to get all the molds complete, the templates cut and the build manual (with photos/videos) complete within the next 18 months.

                    The plan is to get the Razorback in the air by Christmas 2012 at the latest.

                    Regards,
                    Duncan

                    --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "George Bearden" <gab16@...> wrote:

                    > > you can follow the progress here:
                    >

                    > Duncan, beautiful plane! Will be following your progress. Is VE delivering
                    > the 50 hp yet?
                    >
                    > GeoB

                  • william esker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                      oops, its under "dawn patrol"  Bill

                      if you go on dick starks nieuport site he has plans so that you can build that thrust tester. looks very simple and is patterned after the one valley engineering built   Bill

                      Thanks, Yes, she is a bit of a looker... I'm about to pay my deposit, and then there is a 4-week lead time. I might have to push that back a bit, actually, since my new workshop won't be ready before March. And I have to get the wind tunnel set up and the scale models built for the wind tunnel testing.

                      But I can't wait to get my hands on the motor and fire her up. I'm also ordering one of their hydraulic pull testers, so that I can measure static thrust. Not that this is an indication of much, but it will at least keep them honest...

                      So quite a lot to do.

                      2011 is certainly going to be a busy year for RTFM-Aero, but I'm hoping to get all the molds complete, the templates cut and the build manual (with photos/videos) complete within the next 18 months.

                      The plan is to get the Razorback in the air by Christmas 2012 at the latest.

                      Regards,
                      Duncan

                      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "George Bearden" <gab16@...> wrote:

                      > > you can follow the progress here:
                      >

                      > Duncan, beautiful plane! Will be following your progress. Is VE delivering
                      > the 50 hp yet?
                      >
                      > GeoB

                    • eta beta
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011
                        Thank you George, every lecture is welcome :) I don't know much about engines so any info and input is needed.I would like  those 50hp to be real indeed. I'm interested in that engine too, in pusher configuration though..My problem is that being in Europe it would be difficult to have good support from the factory, so I must  be 100% sure about the performance and reliability of that powerplant before spending money that , at the moment, is not falling from my pockets! ;)Alberto

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011
                          We used a weight hang scale. Something like a fish scale but will handle much heavier loads. I'm guessing mine went up to 700 lbs.
                          Dan

                          --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, william esker <wldbl55@...> wrote:

                          > if you go on dick starks nieuport site he has plans so that you can build that thrust tester. looks very simple and is patterned after the one valley engineering built   Bill

                        • kiweezul
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011
                            You can get a decent game scale on Ebay for cheap too.
                            Ken