Floater hub?

  • Ben Fleming
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      What exactly is a Floater hub??

      Ben

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:04:56 -0000
      From: "harveyking2002" <harveyking@...>
      Subject: Re: Kohler Crank failure on redrive

      There is a simple way to take the load off the crank. Build
      a "floater" hub on the engine to drive the pulley.
      However, more cost and weight.
      Dick

    • danielbk
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        Ben Fleming wrote:
        > What exactly is a Floater hub??

        Hi Ben,

        For our purposes, the concept would be to hang the driver pulley on
        bearings mounted to a vertical plate next to the engine. Any side
        loads will go to the plate. Make the bearings something with a big
        ID, bigger than the engine shaft. Now let that engine shaft stick
        through a hole in the plate & through the ID of the bearings with
        room to spare. Then connect the shaft to the pulley so that only
        torque loads are transferred from one to the other.

        The term comes from the use of "floating axles" in automotives & that
        would be the likely source for components.

        Daniel