Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] Ignition question for Jerry

  • JERRY
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      A little late, been very busy lately. Getting my sailplane ready to
      go for it's first flight, and a quick trip to Oshkosh.

      At 11:34 PM 7/29/2008, you wrote:
      >What is the item on the side of your Generac with the 3 ignition wires
      >going to it? Got a Part # I can look up?

      The device is a MDS coil selector. I hand prop start the engine on a
      "start" ignition system on just one cylinder, timing set to TDC. The
      "run" ignition is switched off so the coil selector feeds the spark
      plug from the "start" ignition coil. When the engine is running, I
      switch on the "run" ignition set to about 25 degrees BTDC and the
      coil selector automatically feeds the plug from the "run" system
      coil. It is better than trying to swap the plug wires by hand while
      running. 8>)

      I bought my MDS coil selector on Ebay for about $30. There is one on
      there now, search on "MSD Automatic coil selector PN8210". and look
      at the MDS web site for more info.

      > Are the coils that you re-
      >mounted the same distance from the center of the shaft as they were on
      >the flywheel side? I want to duplicate this for my Ultrastar,hope to
      >get it flying before the years end...Mark

      Yes they are about the same, which you will want to do because of the
      curve in the coils. You do want to keep the clearance to spec, about
      0.012", and make sure the magnet does not get thrown out due to
      centrifugal force and close up the gap and hit the coils.

      Jerry Booker