new v-twin ultralight

  • JERRY
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008
      Some of you may not have seen this link to a new v-twin powered ultralight.

      http://www.culverprops.com/back-yard-ul.php

      Jerry Booker
    • cheepwings
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2008
        --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, JERRY <j.soar.aero@...> wrote:

        > Some of you may not have seen this link to a new v-twin powered ultralight.
        >
        > http://www.culverprops.com/back-yard-ul.php
        >
        > Jerry Booker

        OK, NEW GUY HERE. Just joined this jroup and it's way to quiet. I'm just a lurker so I depend
        on info from others. I have a weedhopper and I'm thinking ahead to my next engine. Yes, I've
        seen the backyard's site and I'm here because I cant see myself paying $5000 for it. What
        engine is he using. Is there an experimenter out there who has done the same thing who will
        share their secrets?
        Thanks, Robert
        aka cheepwings (misspelled because someone else already had cheapwings)
      • JERRY
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2008
          Hi Robert,
          Welcome to the group. The Big Twin on the Valley Engineering plane is
          based on a Generac. If you go to this group's home page and get into
          the messages, then search on 'Generac' you will find a lot of good
          info about the Generac, and some other ways to set it up for flying.
          Beware though, we are just experimenting so try it at your own risk.
          Jerry Booker

          At 06:03 PM 3/11/2008, you wrote:
          >--- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, JERRY <j.soar.aero@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Some of you may not have seen this link to a new v-twin powered ultralight.
          > >
          > > http://www.culverprops.com/back-yard-ul.php
          > >
          > > Jerry Booker
          > >
          >OK, NEW GUY HERE. Just joined this jroup and it's way to
          >quiet. I'm just a lurker so I depend
          >on info from others. I have a weedhopper and I'm thinking ahead to
          >my next engine. Yes, I've
          >seen the backyard's site and I'm here because I cant see myself
          >paying $5000 for it. What
          >engine is he using. Is there an experimenter out there who has done
          >the same thing who will
          >share their secrets?
          >Thanks, Robert
          >aka cheepwings (misspelled because someone else already had cheapwings)
          >

          >### Lets use this list to build a knowledge base for those who are
          >interested in flying with these engines. Don't forget you can search the
          >messages archive for past discussions. Please keep comments on subject.
          >Sorry, no attachments allowed.
          >
          >For access to the home page:
          >
          >For direct access to the files area:
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dobie1758
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
            cheepwings: A friend of mine designed his own plane and uses a Koler v-
            twin engine of about 25 hp. He runs it direct drive at a top rpm of
            about 3500 using a 48 inch prop. He doesn't fly fast, about 40 top
            end, but his plane weighs about 350 lb and has a single surface wing.
            I think he paid about $1800 for the engine, new. You can also get up
            to a 35 hp version....for more money. I'm sure it would fly a
            weedhopper, especially if you bought a belt redrive for it and put on a
            lot bigger prop. Good luck with your experimenting.